Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-06-2007, 04:39 PM   #1

Is there any book I can buy that tells me what the road conditions are such as clearences heights of bridges, one lane bridges, etc. If there is no book-what do you use to plan your trip. Maybe we should invest in a gps system? Any opinions anyone would like to share?

us + 3 active boys + 2 crazy labs + 1 plucky bird
Bob RV is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-06-2007, 04:39 PM   #2

Is there any book I can buy that tells me what the road conditions are such as clearences heights of bridges, one lane bridges, etc. If there is no book-what do you use to plan your trip. Maybe we should invest in a gps system? Any opinions anyone would like to share?

Old 07-06-2007, 06:06 PM   #3

You might look at Rand McNally Motor Carriers Road Atlas.

Paul
Old 07-07-2007, 03:27 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
If you can't find a one cover all book for what you are looking for, you might consider some of the mapping software choices.

As far as GPS's, I don't know of any that includes clearances, bridge heights, etc.

Microsoft's Street & Trips Software can do a pretty good job when you add additional POI (Points of Interest) files to it.

There are locations on the Internet that have the low clearance POI's and the like. They can be downloaded from places like: Discovery Owners POI
and also POI Factory
Lots of folks that make use of the forum as well as others use this combination. It works pretty good. And the software isn't that expensive, usually you can get it for around $40.
Bob (WA0MQE) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2007, 02:01 PM   #5

Stop at a Flying J or other truck stop. They have lots of info on this.

If you just need low clearances try:

Low Clearances
Road Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2007, 03:01 PM   #6

Bob

If you tote your lap top with you in your Motor home, I would just get Microsofts streets and trips with the GPS. The S&T with the attached GPS cost under a $100 at Staples. It is real handy as you go down the road, it even talks to you. The problem with just a GPS stand-alone is the size. Now that I'm older, hard to see while driving. And the DW can't read the GPS stand alone very well. But she can use the S&T pretty good (as long as I write "L" and "R" on each hand. If you don't have a lap top, I think you could get a lap top as well as the S&T program for about $500. What a good stand alone would cost. If you do not have an inverter, you can get one at walmart for about $20 to run the computer as you go down the roaad. It will tell you gas stations, eateries, Camp grounds, and etc. And it will do a route for you if you want it to. s/Toby
Old 07-07-2007, 04:49 PM   #7

Some great ideas here!

Now another question for those of you who use Microsoft streets & trip w/ GPS--do you have to be connected to the internet for the GPS to work? I don't have a cable that long

Old 07-08-2007, 04:05 AM   #8

Bob

No you do not have to be connected, The only reason to connect with the system is to get more details of a campground or road conditions up date. But it will give you the CG name and phone number is you want it. I do not ever use the internet with my MS S&Ts. I really like the ease is which the system works. I've had Delorme (twice) but prefer MS. The only thing I do not like about MS is when you add a stop in a route, you have to zoom back each time. Other than that it works pretty good. And BTW, the GPS uses a suction cup to stick to the windshield and works probably better than my Garmin GPS IV when it is connected up to the lap top. I keep the Garmin in the toad for when we ride around the country when we get there in the MH. s/Toby
Old 07-10-2007, 11:29 AM   #9

I'm going to have to look into this--thanks Toby.

Old 08-05-2007, 03:13 PM   #10

Update: After weighing all our options we purchased a gamin nuvi 200 and used it on our last trip--the portability and cost of the gps was best for us. So along w/ the garmin-which our youngest named "Kanola" (and w/ mapquest, mapblast and yahoo maps and checking the above mentioned web site for low clearences--dw is a little obsesive w/ this stuff)we got to our destination-Cooperstown, NY. Everything worked well--I am just thinking of purchasing the truckers atlas mentioned above so we have something w/ us for those low clearences, etc.