RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-11-2020, 09:38 PM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Road Conditions - Colorado Springs to Breckenridge

Looking at early April drive from CS to Breck using Hwys 24 and 9. We're 62' overall and experienced with mountain driving. Appreciate any first-hand reports on the suitability of the route. TIA...

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-12-2020, 07:14 AM   #2

Workhorse Chassis Owner
The last time I took that route was about a year ago. Hoosier Pass is high and steep especially on the north side. However it is navigable by all legal vehicles. Eighteen wheel trucks do it daily. The grade is 8% for much of the north side with multiple switchbacks. Navigating the town of Breckenridge can be a pain.

There might be snow in April...you never know so check the local forecast before leaving. The road is plowed regularly if needed but there could be snow/ice that time of year that snow plows cannot get off the road. Also check: https://cotrip.org/home.htm . This website provides real time road condition information. Cotrip.org also includes highway cameras. This morning I see that beginning in Breckenridge and continuing to the south foot of Hoosier Pass the highway is icy! But the highway could be completely dry that time of year. I was over Tennessee Pass last week. Although there was a LOT of snow on the ground the highway was clear and dry. It can change day to day and hour to hour.

US24 and CO9 from Colorado Springs to the south foot of Hoosier Pass pose no problems except the possibility of winter driving conditions.

yeloduster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2020, 08:00 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lv2Roam2 View Post
Looking at early April drive from CS to Breck using Hwys 24 and 9. We're 62' overall and experienced with mountain driving. Appreciate any first-hand reports on the suitability of the route. TIA...
As has been said it is doable and other than the switchbacks (some of us love then others not so much) which just mean you need to be a driver - but ....for me I'd also consider going on in to Buena Vista, then Heading North through Leadville and then RT 91 to I-70 on to Breck. not all that different, (maybe Buena Vista is a little more scenic) I like the Collegiates so will always make that drive.

If A to B is the Plan you should be Fine.

Hopefully they are still sking in Breck in April.

Enjoy the drive,
Busskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2020, 02:02 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busskipper View Post
As has been said it is doable and other than the switchbacks (some of us love then others not so much) which just mean you need to be a driver - but ....for me I'd also consider going on in to Buena Vista, then Heading North through Leadville and then RT 91 to I-70 on to Breck. not all that different, (maybe Buena Vista is a little more scenic) I like the Collegiates so will always make that drive.

If A to B is the Plan you should be Fine.

Hopefully they are still sking in Breck in April.

Enjoy the drive,

I did both of these routes last June in a 43' Class A. Did 24 to Leadville to 91 headed north and then took highway 9 when we left Breck headed back south. Others have already given an accurate account of what to expect. I would add that when I go back this July, I'll repeat the same route loop. 91 is a bit more scenic and pretty gradual both up and down. 9, if traveling north towards Breck will be fairly non-dramatic to the top of the pass and then the descent will be where you have a few switchbacks. Both are manageable and subject to the same weather.

Of note, when we went in June, the top of the pass was still frozen over and they had just closed the slopes in Breckenridge the week before so weather is probably your biggest variable.
econn516 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2020, 07:35 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lv2Roam2 View Post
https://www.cotrip.org/map.htm#/defa...CameraId=10845

Cdot may help is you get a little snow like yesterday in Colorado - Just curious as to what was decided?

Busskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2020, 10:13 AM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Thanks all for your great input! Have delayed the trip by a couple of weeks - and it looks like we should cancel. Summit County (which includes our desired stops in Breck and Copper Mountain) has closed most businesses including all ski areas.

Tags
colorado