Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-22-2022, 01:09 PM   #1

Road grades on Hwy 20 to Fort Bragg, CA

Hi,

We are planning a trip to get from I-5 to Fort Bragg, and everyone on these forums seem to agree that HWY 20 is the best route for that. I know that HWY 20 between Willits and Fort Bragg has been discussed quite a bit on here, but all of the threads just talk about the road being narrow, windy/twisty. However, I'm trying to find more specific information on the actual road grades/steepness of this route because my older 99 F350 sometimes struggles a bit towing our 33' 5th wheel up extended steep grades (above 6-7%). Note - by struggle, I mean it's hard to keep the EGT below 1300 because my trans loves to randomly upshift at the worst times for me.

So can anyone confirm if HWY 20 from Williams to Fort Bragg has a lot of extended steep grades, or if the concern is just the narrow/windy road?

Thanks so much!
usmc1723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-22-2022, 02:33 PM   #2
Community Moderator

I towed my 39 ft fifth wheel trailer with a 2002 Ford F250 7.3L diesel from Ft Bragg to Willits ONCE a number of years ago...........32 miles curvy with some short grades (see attached from Mountain Directory https://mountaindirectory.com/) https://mountaindirectory.com/), but it is over before you know it. The only other option is 127 miles from Petaluma via highway 128, which is what my rv club and I normally drive since it no significant grades but does have hairpins and overhanging cliffs and when you get close to Ft Bragg, highway 1 narrows so you want to navigate that short section BERY slowly to avoid clipping the overhanging cliff.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Willits to Ft Bragg.pdf (86.9 KB, 50 views)
Old 05-22-2022, 04:50 PM   #3

From the 'Mountain Directory for Truckers & RVers' (highly recommend a purchase of it) it reads:

"(Between Willits and Fort Bragg) Tractors-semis over 36' kingpin to rear axle not advised. This is a better road than highway 1 is between Leggett and the coast. It is wider and smoother. There is a summit about 5 mi. west of Willits. The east side is posted "9% next 2 miles" but it doesn't seem to be that steep. The west side descent begins with 1 mile of 10% followed by a 1/2 mile break in the grade and then a warning sign - "6% next 6 miles." There are some sections of milder grade included in the 6 miles and there are lots of sharp curves along this road. There are several other short 6-7% climbs and descents."
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2022, 04:57 PM   #4
YC1

Route to Ft Bragg area

Take Highway 20 West out of Williams. 37.1 miles.

Watch for Highway 53 as you drop down a hill after a fairly long climb. Easy climb and multiple lanes going up, then you will crest the hill and need to keep your speed down to be able to make the turn. If you go by, just relax and stay on 20. Butif you take the following directions the road is better for the stress.
Turn what would be South onto 53. You will go about 8 miles. Look for the sign to Highway 29 which leads to Kelseyville. This is a nice road and will become freeway in a few miles. Eventually you are back to two lane for a short distance and will come to a stop sign. You are back to Highway 20 again. This leg is about 30 miles. Turn left and enjoy the beautiful drive right to 101. This route will bypass the two lane twisting and winding on the North side of Clear lake. If you want a good view of the lake go ahead and stay on 20 all the way to 101.

Take the freeway ramp towards Willits. Once in town stay in the left lane and be patient. Traffic can back up a bit. You will come to a large intersection that has a shopping center on the right and fuel stations on three corners. Turn left and relax and enjoy a beautiful twisting and winding road that has plenty of pull outs to rest, calm queasy stomachs and stretch the pets.

This section may take you an hour. Use your shifting lever to keep things in a lower gear so you don’t get hot brakes. Nothing steep, just lots of slow curves.

After the 33 miles you will come to a stop light. Two ways to go, right or left. Left will take you to Mendocino and right will take you to Ft. Bragg. Be sure to make reservations in advance. Turning left there is a really nice campground “Pomo”, that we have used many times. Further down is Casper beach. My wife does not like the cramped spaces but I liked being able to walk across the street to the beach.

Adding to this. Keep an eye out for Elk along the road from Williams to the Clear Lake area. Another interesting place along the way on the right is an old mining camp. You will come to a three lane road, two lanes going uphill. On the right you will see an old slag dump. This is Abbot mine. It was a mercury mine in the 50's and 60's. "Quick Silver", is an incredibly heavy liquid metal at room temp. There were about a dozen families living at this mining camp at one time. A cook house, bunk house and showers were provided for many miners. Ore was trucked to the crushers, then entered furnaces. The slag was dumped over an embankment. The site was cleaned up several years ago so mostly memories are the only things left.

Yes there are a few long steep climbs. Just drop gears and take your time. If you are traveling in the Summer the temps can be in the low hundreds. It is not a race route. It is a beautiful place to see so take your time.

As mentioned earlier. There are a couple of Elk herds in the area and may show up at any time.

The route I show has been traveled by me and my family more times than I can remember.

If you go North of Ft. Bragg there is/was a campground 17 miles up the road. Very twisting road and narrow. The campground is right no the beach.

YC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2022, 11:13 PM   #5

Wow thanks so much guys!!! I was expecting all the detailed responses! This is very helpful
usmc1723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2022, 06:47 AM   #6
YC1

This question comes up so much that I saved my response long ago to be able to re-post it.

The drive is a beautiful one so take your time. There are some steep hills but not long.

One thing we really miss about Calif is camping in Ft. Bragg.

YC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2022, 08:23 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by usmc1723 View Post
Wow thanks so much guys!!! I was expecting all the detailed responses! This is very helpful
To help keep EGT lower on hard pulls, manually downshift the tranny and drive slower to accommodate the RPM's.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2022, 10:31 AM   #8

Hwy 20 vs 128

Quote:
Originally Posted by usmc1723 View Post
Hi,

We are planning a trip to get from I-5 to Fort Bragg, and everyone on these forums seem to agree that HWY 20 is the best route for that. I know that HWY 20 between Willits and Fort Bragg has been discussed quite a bit on here, but all of the threads just talk about the road being narrow, windy/twisty. However, I'm trying to find more specific information on the actual road grades/steepness of this route because my older 99 F350 sometimes struggles a bit towing our 33' 5th wheel up extended steep grades (above 6-7%). Note - by struggle, I mean it's hard to keep the EGT below 1300 because my trans loves to randomly upshift at the worst times for me.

So can anyone confirm if HWY 20 from Williams to Fort Bragg has a lot of extended steep grades, or if the concern is just the narrow/windy road?

Thanks so much!
We live in N. Cal. and have made many trips to Mendocino by car. Last year we drove our 25’ van conversion RV to Westport RV Park. Made the mistake of taking 101 to Laytonville and crossing over to the coast on Branscomb Road, thinking to limit driving on Hwy. 1. The last few miles were terrifying. Steep, narrow, steep drop-off. We made it. Came back on 20 from Ft. Bragg and thought the road was wonderful. It seems much improved from what I remembered. I tried to look that up but didn’t find anything. We have taken 128 from Cloverdale many times in a car. There are hairpins turns near Cloverdale; it is a windy, twisty road in other places but most of it is easily drivable. If wanting to stop at wineries, etc., it is a nice way to go. Good brewery in Booneville too and several good restaurants. Going to Caspar Beach, will take 20 for sure!
Gray Ginkgo is offline   Reply With Quote