Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-27-2021, 12:04 PM   #1

Road Report from Goodyear, Az to Rapid City, SD.

A little information of our rig setup: we have a 2017 Ram 3500 with the Aisin with 4:10 rear end. Road Warrior has the MorRyde Independent Suspension installed October 2020 at MorRyde in Elkhart. Road Warrior weighs in around 20500 pounds.
We left Goodyear, Az. on April 16th to Lake Havasu Az.:
We took I-10 to Rt 95 north. The road was not bad, good driving no issues.
Lake Havasu to Las Vegas:
took rt 95 to I-40 W to 95 north in California road was not bad once on Rt 95 in California for a little bit the road was some "wavy" due to the terrain. But road surface was great. When we crossed the Colorado River on I-40 we hit a "cloud" of bees, biggest swarm I had ever encounter. We had to stop and clean the windshield. Also had to clean the front of the Road Warrior in Las Vegas, could have sold honey from the bees on the front.
Las Vegas to Verde Valley, Az.:
Took 11/93 to I-40 East. The road 11 in Nevada/Arizona was good road no issues. But once picked up I-40 at Kingman and going East, I-40 was horrible. Sections of the road are worst then I-10 in Louisiana, my opinion. Sections had signs "Rough Road Next 5 Miles" longest section of 5 miles I have ever seen, numerous times.
As we continue to head East to Rapid City I will keep updating the road conditions. Next week going from Verde Valley to Show Low.
2017 Ram 3500 w/Aisin w/ 4:10 rearend
2016 E-Z-Go Golf Cart 2 Dachshunds DJ (Rainbow Bridge 9-12-2019) & Joey
hamm2018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-28-2021, 07:35 AM   #2

you'll probably take az-260 east from verde valley to show low. it's a good mostly 2 lane road though you will go up and down in elevation a couple of times.

we drove from payson to rapid city last fall. the roads were ok with a couple of exceptions. i didn't like i-25 over raton pass and then i-25 from colorado springs to denver was a giant construction area (about 60 miles). but that was several months ago so it may have changed by now.

have a nice trip!
bigchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2021, 09:48 AM   #3

Our Garmin has us going back to I-40 then east.
Old 04-28-2021, 03:55 PM   #4

From Camp Verde you can take 260 east to Strawberry and on to Payson and continue to Show Low. Pretty drive.
twogypsies is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2021, 05:02 AM   #5

your choice, but the az-260 route is about 50 miles shorter. the trade off is that it is two lane the entire way vs taking i-17 to i-40 which are both 4 lane. does your gps recommend taking az-89a from sedona to flagstaff? it is not a recommended route for large rv's.
Old 04-29-2021, 08:43 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigchick View Post
your choice, but the az-260 route is about 50 miles shorter. the trade off is that it is two lane the entire way vs taking i-17 to i-40 which are both 4 lane. does your gps recommend taking az-89a from sedona to flagstaff? it is not a recommended route for large rv's.
No straight back up 17 to 40. Our rig is a 45 foot tri-axle toy hauler, about 20,500# plus the 2017 Ram 3500 towing. The 2 lane roads don't bother me, too much. Now the wife it is another story. I drove old Route 60 thru W.Va. before in a semi. On that when it said 5 MPH you did it.
In 2002, after the 9/11 attacks we were going to Gettysburg and stopped in Shanksville to see the Flight 93 crash site. After leaving that we went east on old 30, up/down the hills, curves, she was just gripping the door handles and was wishing we would had back track to I-70. Me I was just grinning and having fun. We only had a Ram with a 318, towing a 29 foot ultra lite Prowler TT.
Old 04-30-2021, 05:42 AM   #7

enjoy! you're seeing some pretty places in AZ.
Old 04-30-2021, 09:13 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigchick View Post
This afternoon I have to go to Flagstaff to pick up a new surge protector at RV Country, already order and it came in yesterday. So on the way back wife wants to run 89A instead of I-17.
I use the Progressive Industries model. I called Progressive and talked to them but I can't locate the original receipt. This is a replacement Progressive sent me because the original was hit by a surge and was damaged. Trouble is it was before Progressive was bought out and the tech does not have access to the records prior to that time. So I just bought a new one and now need to go and pick it up today.
Old 04-30-2021, 10:08 AM   #9

I need to consult my map but another option would be through NV and UT to Wyoming and then east to Rapid City - maybe the roads would be better. Scenery would be pretty good in UT for sure. My last trip in UT the roads were very good and same for WY and SD.
Gene Owens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2021, 06:56 AM   #10

I'd take 191 all the way up to Rock Springs. Love that part of the country. Middle a nowhere of course. But its glorious, have the whole road to yourself. Lots of NA culture to experience. Moab. Flaming Gorge. Big, big, big sky.

60 through to Socorro is a cool road. Pretty, interesting things to see (Pie Town, VLA, rock hunting in Magdalena). 25 between there and ABQ is boring but easy.

40 was in decent shape through Albuquerque as of a few weeks ago, if you decide to go that way. Watch your clearance if you decide to get gas at the state line (eg Speedy's). Lots of truck traffic in the afternoon and early evening. Once you cross the river in ABQ, pay attention, the interchange is a little confusing and nobody in ABQ knows how to drive.

From there, 25 is an OK drive to the state line. Santa Fe area is pretty. Prairie is kinda cool if you're into the Santa Fe Trail history. Las Vegas is fabulous, as you no doubt already know. Review "Red Dawn" - the real one, the Swayze version -- before you go. Consider a side trip to rootin-tootin Cimarron; I personally enjoyed the NRA Whittington Center, which is on the way back to 25. They have an RV campground, and a shooting range. Which to me is like having both peanut butter, AND jelly. Raton Pass is a grind but I wouldn't say it's difficult.

Haven't been to that part of Colorado recently
Old 05-04-2021, 09:11 AM   #11

update on travel route

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamm2018 View Post
A little information of our rig setup: we have a 2017 Ram 3500 with the Aisin with 4:10 rear end. Road Warrior has the MorRyde Independent Suspension installed October 2020 at MorRyde in Elkhart. Road Warrior weighs in around 20500 pounds.
We left Goodyear, Az. on April 16th to Lake Havasu Az.:
We took I-10 to Rt 95 north. The road was not bad, good driving no issues.
Lake Havasu to Las Vegas:
took rt 95 to I-40 W to 95 north in California road was not bad once on Rt 95 in California for a little bit the road was some "wavy" due to the terrain. But road surface was great. When we crossed the Colorado River on I-40 we hit a "cloud" of bees, biggest swarm I had ever encounter. We had to stop and clean the windshield. Also had to clean the front of the Road Warrior in Las Vegas, could have sold honey from the bees on the front.
Las Vegas to Verde Valley, Az.:
Took 11/93 to I-40 East. The road 11 in Nevada/Arizona was good road no issues. But once picked up I-40 at Kingman and going East, I-40 was horrible. Sections of the road are worst then I-10 in Louisiana, my opinion. Sections had signs "Rough Road Next 5 Miles" longest section of 5 miles I have ever seen, numerous times.
As we continue to head East to Rapid City I will keep updating the road conditions. Next week going from Verde Valley to Show Low.
Verde Valley to Show Low
Our GPS took us back up 17 to I-40 East in Flagstaff - On 17 north the road is not bad, a little hilly it did slow us down. Once we hit I-40 East in Flagstaff the road had numerous potholes in it. But once we got about 10 east of Flagstaff the road was really good. Once at Holbrook we took 77 south to Show Low. Road was good condition, no issues on it.
SIDE NOTE Our Garmin tried to re-route us back on I-40 West several times, issue was I 40 was reported closed. In a way it was, they were working on an overpass and had I-40 below closed. BUT you were sent up the off ramp and back down the on ramp back on I-40 in both directions.