Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-23-2013, 09:34 AM   #1

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Carolina Campers
ROADS

Just back from trip from home, NC, to Washington DC. It occurred to me on this trip that the condition of our roads, based especially on what we pay in taxes and in particular highway taxes on gas, that the condition of our interstates is horrendous. I thought my coach would fall apart on some of the sections of I-95, the I-295 bypass around Richmond and the Washington Beltway. The conditions on I-95 in Virginia north of the mid 30's mile markers was particularly bad, the road looks like a patch work quilt, and how they manage to repair a small imperfection in the roadway and make the repair feel worse than the original problem is incredible. The 295 bypass, which I remember being uncomfortable in my truck a year ago while pulling travel trailer, is virtually intollerable in a motorhome. The highway is different construction than most of I-95, looks to be concrete instead of asphalt. But large sections have been replaced due to deterioration of the concrete, don't know how they managed to make it so uneven, but repaired sections are not much improvement over old. Maybe it is my motorhome, but sounds like it will fall apart on these roads. NC was not too bad on I-95, few miles of expansion joints and broken highway, but did not hold a candle to VA! How is it that roads can not be brought to grade with overpasses and bridge approaches, nearly every one, with a few exceptions, was a jolting, jarring event, some feel the equivalent of driving off a curb.

I think a large part of the problem is the roads are clearly not designed for the loads they carry. Truck traffic beats these roads badly. I know on some of the secondary roads around my home, the roads are badly rutted from the weight of trucks, to the point that when it rains these roads become continuous puddles of standing water in the ruts.

I don't know the answer, but I for one don't think we should have to suffer the conditions that we do. Maybe we need to let our elected officials know we are out here. And to add insult to injury, we are hearing discussions of making the interstates toll roads in our state. Another frustration about traveling north, increasing tolls on deteriorating roads...that's for another day!

PS...ordering Koni shocks today - hope they are some help.
trode is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-23-2013, 07:34 PM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
That's because all the money is going to the welfare state!
kirk7678 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 12:19 PM   #3

Workhorse Chassis Owner
The $$ collected for continuing road maint. has been taken by political purposes.

2002 Itasca Suncruiser - WH Chassis - 35U - 2006 Jeep Liberty
hamguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 12:27 PM   #4
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Let's not turn this down a political path please.
See My Pace Arrow Upgrades
JohnRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 04:27 PM   #5

Virginia is having a difficult time raising money to fund road improvements. Anytime an attempt is made to fund road improvements, it is shot down by the voters or the legislature because one wants to be responsible for an increase in taxes. Because of that, Virginia is taking a different approach and is adding tolls to many of the bridges and tunnels at least in the Hampton Roads area if it survives a court challenge. They have also entered into a public/private agreement to build a limited access expressway from the Hampton Roads area parallel to US460 to Richmond. Of course it will also be a toll road and US 460 will remain open. Lived in Virginia Beach for 20 years-thank goodness no more!
jpharley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 04:38 PM   #6

iRV2 No Limits Club
We are organically from Virginia and travel I -95 ad I -85 frequently.

Both are in the worse shape I have ever seen them in.
I was a teen when they built I-95 and it seems like they have done nothing since then. I even remember the I 95 tollbooths.

The expansion joints in I-85 are awful. How do they make them that high?

Our inner structure has been neglected for many years.
Old 04-27-2013, 05:32 PM   #7

Everywhere I go, when I hit a bump it is a spot that needs to be fixed. If I hit a big bump, it is where they fixed one.
https://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 05:45 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Here here!

I made a similar post a couple of years ago after returning from an east coast trip. It all came to a head for me traveling the Pennsylvania Turnpike. Just about the worst road conditions we saw in >6000 miles on that trip... and they had the audacity to charge me a $48 toll when I exited.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote