Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-23-2020, 12:33 PM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
Roads from Bowling Green to Lynchburg

Hello All:

I’m just starting my fulltimer life. I’ve lived in Florida for my entire RV life. So, mountains are something I have very little experience with.

I’d love to hear your sugestions regarding travel from Bowling Green, KY to Lynchburg, VA.

I have a 42 foot Fleetwood Discovery class A coach and am pulling a 4000 lb jeep. I have a cummins diesel engine and Allison 6 speed transmission. The coach is equipped with an auxilliary exhaust brake and the toad is equipped with a Roadmaster Invisibrake system.

Any thoughts or suggestions are appreciated.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-25-2020, 02:15 PM   #2

We're from Glasgow, KY and I google'd directions from here to Lynchburg, VA. We would go US 231 to Lebanon, TN then I-40 to I-81. Can't help from I-81 over to Lynchburg. Mountains are not a problem to where you would leave i-81, someone else will be able to help there. We went this route in 2016 and stopped at Baileyton, TN RV Park which looks like it is a KOA now. It was a good overnight spot.

Shelia
RockyHill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2020, 01:05 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Send a message via ICQ to Ivylog
I do not even goggle US highways (or Interstates) but I will sometimes use google to fly a state road using the satellite view... usually out West.

Relax, you have a good rig for mountain driving and most of the time the Allison is smart enough to just let it do it’s thing. Out West I’ll manually downshift so if I let up on the gas briefly (for a sharp curve) the tranny will not upshift. Same on a long climb, but more to keep the rpms up for better engine cooling.

While descending, if you are having to use your brakes more than 20% of the time, you need to manually select a lower gear by getting on the brakes hard so you can shift to a lower gear without over reving the engine...2500 rpm.
Ivylog is offline   Reply With Quote