Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-05-2018, 09:41 AM   #1

Roads in Colorado

Hello.
new class A travelers here in south Texas. Can anyone tell me about the road HWY 50...from Montrose CO to Pueblo during late August. I have a 35 ft and will be towing a 12 ft trailer. Is this road a challenge or good?
thanks in Advance..also thinking about Leadville to Alamosa.

Dusty
Dusty44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-05-2018, 10:05 AM   #2
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Hi Dusty! Welcome to IRV2! We're sure glad you joined the gang!

Can't help with the question but wanted to say hello! Keep her between the ditches!

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!

Happy New Year!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2018, 10:10 AM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
You should be fine. We did it last summer with a 25foot and toad with no problem at all and were passed by much larger Class A with toads.
momdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2018, 10:10 AM   #4

Thanks

Happy New Year to you
Old 01-05-2018, 11:26 AM   #5

It is a US Highway. Semi trucks drive it every day, year round. The gas stations along it even have electricity and indoor plumbing...
Old 01-05-2018, 01:48 PM   #6
Community Administrator

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dusty44 View Post
Hello.
new class A travelers here in south Texas. Can anyone tell me about the road HWY 50...from Montrose CO to Pueblo during late August. I have a 35 ft and will be towing a 12 ft trailer. Is this road a challenge or good?
thanks in Advance..also thinking about Leadville to Alamosa.
Dusty
Having driven that road and most others in Colorado many times, I will tell you that Hwy 50 can be a challenge in one area. From Salida to Gunnison you will have to go over Monarch Pass which is 11,300 ft altitude and has seven miles of continuous 6-7% grades on both sides. The roadway winds quite a bit but is wide and passable. Both up and down can be a strain on the driveline. We were over Hwy 50 last August and there was quite a bit of construction on the west side of Gunnison around the Blue Mesa Reservoir. I'm not trying to scare you off, just letting you know what to expect.

A much easier way to get to Montrose is go west on Hwy 160 from Walsenburg to Monte Vista, then north on Hwy 285 to Saguache. From there take Hwy 114 northwest to Hwy 50 just outside of Gunnison then on to Montrose. There are about 10 miles of winding road on 114 not too far from Hwy 50, but it is fairly level and scenic. This route totally bypasses Monarch and distance wise it's about the same.

Hwy 285 then Hwy 17 from Leadville to Alamosa is not bad at all. It's mostly in the valley between mountain ranges.\

If you need other route information in Colorado, just PM me.
Lt Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2018, 03:07 PM   #7

thank you for that info Lt Dan.
Old 01-05-2018, 07:02 PM   #8

roads in Colorado

We went west from Pueblo in May. It started snowing on Monarch when we hit Salida. The webcam on the pass still looked good so we went on to Gunnison and holed up for 4 days as we got snow every night. I would never have an issue driving Hwy 50, just watch the weather.
Old 01-05-2018, 07:16 PM   #9

August no weather issues. Stay on 50 through Monarch Pass and Gunnison for the great views. No problems for your setup, it's a nice road with plenty of room.
38Chevy454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2018, 08:02 PM   #10

Thanks everyone..Just about the got the route planned. This will be a 2 week trip to Yellowstone and back. The trailer will have a Harley cruiser inside.
Does anyone know if the Pikes Peak road is paved?
Old 01-05-2018, 09:42 PM   #11

Quote:
Thanks everyone..Just about the got the route planned. This will be a 2 week trip to Yellowstone and back. The trailer will have a Harley cruiser inside.
Have the wife drive the RV and you the Harley!

Hwy 50 & Monarch Pass is not that bad.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2018, 06:29 AM   #12

Quote:
The road up Pikes Peak is now paved all the way to the top.

Take layers of clothing, it will get cold on the bike as you go up. We drove up Aug. 2016, 72 degrees and sunny at the bottom, 42 degrees (with patches of snow in the shade) at the top. Great drive!
Betr2Trvl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2018, 09:24 AM   #13

Quote:
Little late to the Party but this is the route I'd use - https://binged.it/2AzJvkk

Your Harley will love this route - Collegiates - RT 82 - Leadville to Minturn and Back with a stop in Red Cliff and Camp Hale.

Possibly a run when you get to Kremmling, CO over to Granby and across Trail Ridge into RMNP and Back.

WInd River Canyon up and Back on the Bike.

Cody - To Red Lodge on Chief Joseph Highway and then Beartooth before returning to Cody to enjoy the Park.

Do the figure 8 on the bike then through Tetons to Jackson then Out through Alpine over to Flaming Gorge - down to Dino hen Back out through the San Juan's.

Might need a couple extra weeks if you really want to enjoy this trip - but - OMG will you LOVE IT.

I drive these roads and this route in the Coach and I love it can just imagine how it would be on a Bike.

Something Like this - https://binged.it/2CP98UE

Just need to be Superman or a lot more time, but thats always the Problem just SOOOOOOOOOOOO much to SEE and never enough TIME.

Just pick a few.....................................

Best of Luck,
Busskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2018, 11:50 AM   #14

Thanks for the info..we are really excited about this trip and the folks on here are being a great help. That will assist us in getting the most enjoyment out of our miles traveled.
thanks everyone and happy new year

Tags
colorado