RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-17-2020, 06:53 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBlueRV View Post
Last time I drove West on I-40 in Arizona was in 2017, it was ungodly rough on the flat ground, going up Flagstaff was like riding a bucking bronco.

I-75 is pretty much unusable around any city in Ohio and Michigan. If it isn't beating you to death it is under construction.

I haven't been on the Ohio or Pennsylvania Turnpikes since 2011 or so, but both roads were terrible then ... and you had to pay tolls!

I-93 North out of Manchester, NH up to the Notch is terrible road (been a few years on that one too though). Well, North of Boston all the way up to the Notch really.

EDIT: The combined stretch of I-64 and I-55 in Illinois is rough, and I-64 in East St Louis has been under construction since the Eisenhower administration.
I took the Ohio Turnpike (I 80/90) from Cleveland toward Elkhart Indiana last year. Ohio was good shape, but once into Indiana, it reminded me of being on I 10 in Louisiana.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-17-2020, 07:01 PM   #30

Just drove down I-95 in South Carolina and it was horrible. Every road in South Carolina is horrible actually

Miamicamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2020, 03:01 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agesilaus View Post
That would be my guess but I suspect, tho I haven't been on it, I5 in Cali must be a contender

I will choose I5 in CA over I10 in LA any day. I10 was the worst. Had to slow down to 40mph or less to keep Motor Home in one piece
databack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2020, 03:15 PM   #32

Winnebago Owners Club
The Indiana turnpike from the Ohio line to approximately Shipshewana/Elkhart is terrible for road you pay to travel.
NRA Endowment Life Member, FMCA 455593, WIT 170814 & Mid-Ohio Winnies
Cover Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2020, 03:34 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVGlen View Post
I just drove from Winterhaven, CA to Columbus, OH and I have to say I-70 east through Indiana is the roughest interstate I've ever been on. Now I've only been RVing since last August so what's the roughest interstate you've been on?

This may help myself and others on what to avoid. I also didn't care for I-17 south out of Flagstaff, AZ because of the 5%-6% downgrade for 18 miles.
I took US 20 thru Shreveport Louisiana about a year or so ago, and that was WORST one that's I've been on. Crossed a bridge that had such a bad transition that my 5th wheel banged into the top of my 5th wheel hitch going up, and then slammed down when gravity caught up. I was certain that I broke something. I had stuff thrown all over in the camper. Cabinet doors popped open and everything. Wheel chair that was on the hitch behind the camper just about launched it's batteries. Only thing keeping the batteries on the hitch was the battery wires. At least the chair was strapped down good and tight.

Thankfully, I've found no visible damage to my 5th wheel. YET.
waterwalkers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2020, 03:36 PM   #34

I-55, both ways. It's a washboard, but they're 'working' on it.
Jautry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2020, 03:37 PM   #35

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cover Dog View Post
The Indiana turnpike from the Ohio line to approximately Shipshewana/Elkhart is terrible for road you pay to travel.
Completely agree as we traveled that last summer. My other vote goes to I684 and I287 in NY. They are an absolute nightmare. I’ve heard complaints about I95 going down the East coast but that’s nothing compared to those others in my opinion. It makes you wonder how the state DOT thinks that’s acceptable.
Old 03-22-2020, 03:47 PM   #36

Infrastructure is in bad shape everywhere

We have traveled many of the interstates over the last 3 years and IMO they all have sections that are in horrible shape. Our countries entire infrastructure is in horrible shape.
With all the funds collected in Taxes for Interstate improvements, You have to ask the Question" Where is all the tax money going" ?
billb3672 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2020, 03:52 PM   #37

I-70 in Indiana

Westbound is just as bad!
PAgram11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2020, 03:57 PM   #38

Worst Interstate

I10 through Louisiana has to be the hands down winner (or is it loser?)
NavyVet24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2020, 04:01 PM   #39

Try the turnpike through Oklahoma and over 20.00 in tolls for my class a and toad
NolaWilliams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2020, 04:05 PM   #40

I would have to say 90 south through New Iberia Louisiana is on top of my list.
tbllknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2020, 04:09 PM   #41

Entegra Owners Club
Yeah it's fun to compare which roads are the worst, but not so much fun to drive over and sometimes in them. There is a reason why the Interstates are full of potholes. Federal fuel taxes haven't been raised since 1993 and since then inflation is up 73%. The logical conclusion is there is insufficient funds to keep up with Interstate repairs. Politicians in DC listen to their constituents who scream, DON'T RAISE MY TAXES! Bottom line...you get what you pay for so don't complain they're only going to get worse.
LarryLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2020, 04:09 PM   #42

Alpine Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RVGlen View Post
I just drove from Winterhaven, CA to Columbus, OH and I have to say I-70 east through Indiana is the roughest interstate I've ever been on.

Welcome to our world. I keep a lap top on the dash for our VMSps and it can stay there from Niagara Falls to the Indiana border without being touched. Then I have to push if back 3-4 times before we reach Indy!