Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-22-2020, 04:14 PM   #43

Nothing worse than I 95 in South Carolina
I 86 near Seneca, NY is terrible too
2cyber71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-22-2020, 04:22 PM   #44

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I-80 east in Illinois is one pot hole after another.
Old 03-22-2020, 04:33 PM   #45

We just got back from a 10 wk. trip from the east coast to calif. and back. Parts of I-10 were horrible. When we hit a bad stretch, we dropped down or went up onto one of the other highways.
Carousel07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2020, 04:38 PM   #46

Vintage RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
In almost a million miles as a charter motorcoach driver, day or night, within a few miles of the state line --from ANY direction, someone on the coach would react "Are we in Oklahoma?"
Old 03-22-2020, 04:46 PM   #47

we've been "snow birding" btwn Fl and Mn for about 20 years. two 5th wheels and the last 5 in a Monaco DP. I65 North and South in Birmingham is our "Hands down" most dreaded stretch of interstate. From time to time they make some band aid improvements, but generally we just try to avoid traveling thru that city. The first time was with a 5th wheel northbound with 2 bikes on a rack on the Camper. Stopped north of the city and found the rack bent down with bikes almost touching the pavement. I expected to find all of the cabinets laying on the floor. got lucky.

most recent experience was with our Monaco Southbound in Oct 2019. the pounding that rig took for about 30 miles across that city was just BRUTAL!!
Avoid I65 thru Birmingham!!
lbw6303 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2020, 04:47 PM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbllknight View Post
I would have to say 90 south through New Iberia Louisiana is on top of my list.
Actually, that is the I49 loop from Lafayette to New Orleans. Since I live in that swamp(good food, horrible hot muggy weather) my advice is just suck it up and slow down especially on the washboard overpasses. But, when you build a highway in the ancient Mississippi alluvial basin, it will not last. Most of us have many, many, many pilings into the gooey, mushy, soil to keep the houses from sinking. Our homes literally float on the goo. Wish I had been born in the Mtns.
ItalGerBrit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2020, 04:51 PM   #49

On the other end of the spectrum, I-90 in Illinois between O’Hare and the Wisconsin state line is by far the best interstate in Illinois. It’s so good that I don’t mind paying the tolls (too much). They are also working on I-294, which goes around Chicago. Unfortunately, it won’t be completed for another 6 years.
Yosemite77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2020, 04:53 PM   #50

While driving our coach on I-90 through Indiana two years ago, it was so rough that a weld on our hydraulic leveler pump bracket broke. Only the hoses were holding it 2" above the road. Long frustrating story, but we finally found mobile mechanic who agree to come to us at a rest area with a heavy duty jack and strap the device to the frame. The roads got better the further south we went.
roblaura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2020, 05:29 PM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVGlen View Post
I just drove from Winterhaven, CA to Columbus, OH and I have to say I-70 east through Indiana is the roughest interstate I've ever been on. Now I've only been RVing since last August so what's the roughest interstate you've been on?

This may help myself and others on what to avoid. I also didn't care for I-17 south out of Flagstaff, AZ because of the 5%-6% downgrade for 18 miles.
You are correct! We drove home from Arizona last year and I 40 across the entire state of Indiana was the worst road we had ever and have ever been on. I will avoid that road for sure. Absolutely teeth jarring in our 2005 Dutch Star.

Very memorable. Horrible!
WVPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2020, 06:11 PM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agesilaus View Post
That would be my guess but I suspect, tho I haven't been on it, I5 in Cali must be a contender

I generally would agree, but from Bakersfield to north and vice versa, last year they have repaved most of the bad sections.
mlpeloquin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2020, 06:20 PM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chadrock View Post
My vote is I75 south of Detroit to the Ohio border. Our automatic windshield shade actually fell off last year as we were heading south to Florida.

Our windshield shade fell off the second time we drove it. It happened just as we were pulling out of a Costco gas/diesel station. It took me three tries and contortions that this old body's back should not do anymore. It is held onto the mounting bracket with two screws that were too short. Don't know why it did not fly off for the first owner. Fixed it my self and it won't fall again. By the way the shade made a heck of a sound, but it is light. The mounting bracket is well made and very heavy. Had to remove that sucker three times to align the shade properly.
Old 03-22-2020, 06:21 PM   #54

I70 Illinois to Ohio, Indiana

We traveled this route last spring May 2019 with our 40 ft class A with air suspension. Incredibly dangerous pot holes and seams running between the lanes. We had to tighten up loose screws at the end of each days travel.

Also I69 in Michigan especially through the capital, Lansing. Car parts all over the road. It looked like all the highway funds had been diverted to downtown Lansing making a nice river front with all new bridges on the city streets.
craigbenoit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2020, 06:22 PM   #55

I10 across LA, I was a truck driver before retirement and have driven most of them, I70 is rough but I10 beats it hands down. It will literally shake your RV to pieces.
Grandpa5x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2020, 06:23 PM   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtmsfx View Post
I-1O west of Palm Springs under reconstruction now for the next couple of years.

Might be a century or more. Governor signed an order taking all the new 60 cent fuel tax and diverting it to pay for the train to know where. What a waste!