Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-23-2020, 01:53 AM   #71

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by drdit92 View Post
What part of I-70 through Indiana is a toll road?

None of it. I live here. Personally, after driving the Yukon and Alaska, nothing fazes me.

The only toll road in Indiana is I-80/I-90 in far northern Indiana. Haven't driven it myself, but there have been a LOT of negative comments on this and the Winnebago owners site.

A year and a half ago I-80 in the Chicago area made our list of the worst on our Alaska to Indiana and back trip. We avoided it completely on last summer's trip by taking US-24 from about central Illinois direct to our old hometown in northern Indiana.
akeagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-23-2020, 04:52 AM   #72

The tax money is spent on mass transit so their riders don’t have to pay their fair share and raise fares because people may quit riding their expensive transit system.
Grandpa5x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2020, 04:59 AM   #73

Is your umbilical cord still attached? If not you can move to the mountains.
Old 03-23-2020, 05:05 AM   #74

In 1959 when the Tri-State Tollway (I294) was built the tolls would be eliminated as soon as the road was paid for, I guess the must’ve taken a 150 year loan. I was 16 back then and remember it well.
Old 03-23-2020, 06:51 AM   #75

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryLS View Post
Yeah it's fun to compare which roads are the worst, but not so much fun to drive over and sometimes in them. There is a reason why the Interstates are full of potholes. Federal fuel taxes haven't been raised since 1993 and since then inflation is up 73%. The logical conclusion is there is insufficient funds to keep up with Interstate repairs. Politicians in DC listen to their constituents who scream, DON'T RAISE MY TAXES! Bottom line...you get what you pay for so don't complain they're only going to get worse.

If only we did get what we paid for. Those road taxes are spent on bus routes, urban trains and bike lanes. If they were spent where they are supposed to be spent the roads would be in better condition. Also electric vehicles use the roads but don't pay fuel taxes, tax them if you must.
Agesilaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2020, 07:23 AM   #76

I myself will never travel over the George Washington Bridge in NYC
ever again. It was so bad i lost one trailer light, snapped of hardware
still there. And they charge royally to cross it!
CapeDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2020, 07:27 AM   #77

I-57 in Southern IL.

And what ever runs East and West through Cleveland I think it was.
I thought my eye teeth were gonna fall out along with the kitchen cabinets.
66lima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2020, 08:08 AM   #78

Winnebago Owners Club
I live in Indiana. Our interstate highways were terrible. But, in the last year or so significant reconstruction has vastly improved I65 from Indianapolis to Louisville, Indianapolis to Chicago. I-69 from Indianapolis North is being widened and resurfaced. I-70 from Indianapolis West and East will be having significant resurfacing this Spring. Hopefully, Indiana will have better and smoother Interstates.
toes46112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2020, 09:28 AM   #79

Roughest Interstate

All. Still consider myself a bit of a new-b in terms of longer distance travels - but - here is my 0.02 worth. For context, have pulled a variety of trailers with different vehicles over the last 30+ years, so that part is not new. The distance of the adventure was the new part. Our initial snow bird adventure was a little over 12,000 Kilometers or about 7,500 miles was kind of a triangle from Ontario in the North East (NE) to Texas, then AZ, and back home. We did not double back on any roads other than a short stretch on I-81. I-70 is definitely a candidate for worst roads - I've ever driven. The tolls were pricey too! For the most part, depending on traffic, can avoid some of the pot holes and rough spots, but some are just either unavoidable of invisible. There was one bridge to roadway expansion joint on I-70 that shook the truck so hard it launched the suction-cupped GPS off the windshield and onto the dash. A heck of a whack that never want to repeat! The I-20 near Shreveport is definitely a close 2nd. For whatever reason the roadway will give you a pogo-pony ride. Maybe it is just the length/weight of our set up, but the dips between the peaks at the expansion joints of the concrete roadway were enough to 'let us' travel at speeds approaching 45 to 50 mph to reduce the jostling around. The 220 loop near Shreveport was a bit better but still awful. I-17 from Phoenix to Flagstaff is beautiful, but next time will avoid due the grade and find another option - to lessen how hard the truck has to work. Was glad we took the route in March and not August - cannot imagine what mishaps occur when pulling I-17 in summer heat. Perhaps I should open another thread, but am curious to hear from others 'in-the-know' how AZ-260, AZ-87S, AZ-77S and US60W are in terms of grade? Are they a flatter option to I-17 and a little more RV friendly?
GCBT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2020, 12:48 PM   #80

I-25

Quote:
Originally Posted by snxwmxn View Post
Interstates in Colorado tend to be pretty rough. Lots of snow and huge temperature swings tend to test them up.
Especially, between Castle Rock and Colorado Springs, due to construction.
jkaplan66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2020, 01:21 PM   #81

Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I’ve been traveling I70 , Indy to Dayton for the past 50 years. It’s either potholes or construction or both. US40 is a whole lot safer but it is slow.
Don’t know how they run as fast as they do on I70, scared.
Old 03-23-2020, 01:49 PM   #82

Tiffin Owners Club
I10

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtmsfx View Post
I drove I-5 south from Oregon border to Santa Clarita around Labor Day 2019. Wasn't bad at all - did not have to go below 55 mph. Worst section is around Bakersfield. Drove I-10 west from Jacksonville to Palm Springs in December. The drive through Louisiana was pretty good except on the elevated sections. Never had to go under 55 mph. The drive from the Texas border to Junction, TX was some of the worst I've ever experienced given the road construction. Worst non-construction I've experienced is I-10 West in New Mexico west of Las Cruces - about a 10 mile section, and I-20 across Louisiana.
Ditto on I10 west from Las Cruces
Old 03-23-2020, 01:55 PM   #83

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agesilaus View Post
That would be my guess but I suspect, tho I haven't been on it, I5 in Cali must be a contender
X2 on I5 in CA! For having nearly the highest taxes and fuel prices in the nation, and both supposedly to improve our roads, there is almost no sign that any of it goes to fixing the main road in the state!
HaRVey 74.5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2020, 03:49 PM   #84

I70 in IN & I-10 in CA

Bent two wheel rims of car on pothole eastbound I70 around mile marker 80 in June, ‘19.

Blew out passenger side flat mirror assembly on our Bounder last Dec. eastbound on I-10 past Palm Springs.
INKY Newbies is offline   Reply With Quote