Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-22-2020, 06:30 PM   #57

Now when I get a ruff interstate, I look for a parallel federal highway. I have found that most of them are in good shape. Slower going through every town, but more relaxing and much more interesting. I have had bad roads in most states. Depends where. That being said, if a truck ahead of you quickly shifts lanes, pray that the lane next to you is not occupied. Shift over ASAP! Twice just missed potholes that would have blown a tire and ruined the front end. I was shocked at the size and depth of them.
mlpeloquin is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-22-2020, 06:30 PM   #58

On the Other Hand

Traveling from south West Fl up along the Tennessee Tom Bigby Waterway to the Cahokia Mounds in St Louis Missouri then up to Charlotte Michigan then east to Massachusetts we saw an absolutely incredible amount of highway improvement recently finished and in progress. I have never see this level of highway construction in my life. Some body-s are doing a heck of a job catching up on the maintenance.

Oh that's 50 miles of driving with Love Bugs on the windshield in Florida, spring 2019
craigbenoit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2020, 06:33 PM   #59

Roughest interstate

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVGlen View Post
I just drove from Winterhaven, CA to Columbus, OH and I have to say I-70 east through Indiana is the roughest interstate I've ever been on. Now I've only been RVing since last August so what's the roughest interstate you've been on?

This may help myself and others on what to avoid. I also didn't care for I-17 south out of Flagstaff, AZ because of the 5%-6% downgrade for 18 miles.
have not been on I-70 in Indiana in about 3 years but always said it was the worst with I-65 between Louisville and Indy 2nd worst. I-55 in Arkansas 3rd!
mwright27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2020, 06:34 PM   #60

Worse than I-40 west of Flagstaff?
StageCoachDr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2020, 06:56 PM   #61

Quote:
Originally Posted by StageCoachDr View Post
Worse than I-40 west of Flagstaff?

From Kingman to Flagstaff is pretty awful. I learned very quickly that when all the 18 wheelers suddenly shift lanes, DO WHAT THEY DO! I didn't and sent my dually airborne when I hit the holes those truckers knew were there. By the time I saw the holes it was too late - the lane beside me was occupied.
deserteagle5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2020, 07:37 PM   #62

I will vote for I 70 east of Indianapolis towards Dayton, drove a u haul truck through there last June and got my butt kicked. I hit a pot hole so hard I though it was going to take out the front right tire. I lived in Alaska and never ran into such poor road condition
Useitagain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2020, 07:51 PM   #63

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlpeloquin View Post
Might be a century or more. Governor signed an order taking all the new 60 cent fuel tax and diverting it to pay for the train to know where. What a waste!

LOL. Some people believe everything they see on Fox News. Care to provide any proof of that?
mtmsfx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2020, 07:52 PM   #64

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Useitagain View Post
I will vote for I 70 east of Indianapolis towards Dayton, drove a u haul truck through there last June and got my butt kicked. I hit a pot hole so hard I though it was going to take out the front right tire. I lived in Alaska and never ran into such poor road condition

LOL. Yea, the Tok Cutoff is smooth as silk.
Old 03-22-2020, 07:53 PM   #65

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandpa5x View Post
I10 across LA, I was a truck driver before retirement and have driven most of them, I70 is rough but I10 beats it hands down. It will literally shake your RV to pieces.

I drove I-10 west across Louisiana in December. It was fine. But in Texas it was awful.
Old 03-22-2020, 08:30 PM   #66

Roughest road

For years I-70 through Indiana has been the worst of worst. Many times I have wondered how the coach could hold together. It is so bad just outside of Richmond, In that the state or the county posted signs to warn drivers how bad it is. Avoid that part of I-70 if at all possible
easytraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2020, 08:56 PM   #67

285 south out of Carlsbad, NM is really bad as well as 90 south out of Lafayette. One I torn a shock on on the truck and the other cracked a propane line under the trailer.
Old 03-22-2020, 11:16 PM   #68

As TheRulingElites abandon north America to 'locust' their next source of resources, can we expect less and less infrastructure maintenance?
LargeMarge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2020, 11:51 PM   #69

I-10 and ANY OTHER highway south of there, in Louisiana, are horrid.

Cannot fathom why....but pulling my TT.....or in earlier Motorhomes, it rattled the fillings.
picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2020, 12:20 AM   #70

Quote:
Originally Posted by WVPete View Post
You are correct! We drove home from Arizona last year and I 40 across the entire state of Indiana was the worst road we had ever and have ever been on. I will avoid that road for sure. Absolutely teeth jarring in our 2005 Dutch Star.

Very memorable. Horrible!
i don’t believe I-40 is located within Indiana? I-70 maybe?
rk911 is offline   Reply With Quote