Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-01-2013, 10:19 AM   #1

Route 301 South in FL

We'll be coming from VA to Tampa and Google routed me on 95 to JAX then west to pick up 301S towards Tampa. Looks to be a bit shorter than staying on 95 south of JAX to 4W to Tampa, which is the routing I thought we would get.

Can anyone enlighten me about 301S. I see it is a four-lane road but not limited access, so I assume it has some stoplights. I do recall during our very recent trip (without RV) to Disney that route 4 around Orlando was very congested, so I think I would prefer to use 301S if the roadway is as good and traffic will be lighter.
ralphie is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-01-2013, 10:31 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
IMHO, I think you might be better off staying on I-95 to I-4. US 301 has many small towns with stoplights. Recently tried 301 north to JAX and returned via 95 to I-4. Saved well over an hour even going thru Orlando and gas mileage was greatly improved. Just my opinion.

Happy New Year and safe travels.

Rob
GrassShack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 10:36 AM   #3
Administrator in Memoriam

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
I've gone that way several times. It's the scenic route.

Beware of the speed traps on 301. There's no problem unless you speed.

Famous speed traps.

Route 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 11:46 AM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
IMHO, Route 66 is correct.

I have done the 301 route many, many times in the last 35 years. It is my preferred route.

If you're come from I-95 south get off at I-95 exit 373 for 200/A1A. In a few miles this turns into 301. This will eliminate the JAX I-295 traffic hastle and save 6 miles.

I'll be driving the 301 route on Fri or Sat of this week going south.

Have a safe trip.

-Tom

Tom N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 06:46 PM   #5

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
+1 for 301
Tiffin Allegro Bus, 425 Cummins Freightliner XCR, Camp Freightliner, Acadia Denali, tow-N-4 Down, Blue-OX tow bar, TST Monitors, Seelevel II Monitors, Samsung Res Fridge, Progressive 50A-EMS, No Kids-No Pets, Full Time.
bdaball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 10:49 AM   #6

Thanks for the input folks. I think I'll try 301 notwithstanding Grasshack's opinion to the contrary. I go no faster than 65mph on the interstate anyway because of my ST tire speed rating, so I'll compensate for the speed traps and enjoy the ride. I'm in no hurry but I'm really looking forward to the nice weather in Key West, after the Tampa RV show.
Old 01-03-2013, 11:06 AM   #7

Opinions being what they are.....

After travelling to the Sunshine State all the way from Canada, we don't want to extend our time or frustrations anymore than we need.

We've done all the routes mentioned, but I prefer the Interstates for RV travel as opposed to that route along 301.....either direction. Too many towns, traffic lights, speed traps (Waldo) and all. We have done the I-4 across too, but the volume of traffic on both sides of Orlando is unpredictable at anytime.

We do I-95 to I-10 to I-75 Southbound. Tampa via I-75 via Lake City area, via I-10 to Jax and then wherever Northbound!!!!!!! All highway and a lot less traffic volume.

YMMV
kenandterry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 06:49 PM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
I'm currently parked at the Cracker Barrel near Savannah, GA and I'll be taking the 301 route tomorrow.

-Tom

Old 01-05-2013, 08:10 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom N View Post
I'm currently parked at the Cracker Barrel near Savannah, GA and I'll be taking the 301 route tomorrow.

-Tom
Great! Please let me know what you think about the route.
Old 01-07-2013, 05:38 PM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by ralphie View Post
Great! Please let me know what you think about the route.
Smooth sailing, BUT watch your speed when entering town limits. Radar is alive and well.

-Tom

Old 01-07-2013, 05:51 PM   #11

Fleetwood Owners Club
Being an old Fl cracker and traveling up and down the highways as a "traveling" sales rep. Here's my HO. Jax is so easy now either 295 or 95 thru town. We are 44 ft. Pulling a ford edge. No problems! Take 95 thru town, Jax, at Ormond Beach exit, take 40 west to Ocala, pick up I-75 south to Tampa. Just my .02 cents.
Clayobx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 06:19 PM   #12

I like 301 - it is a nice relaxing route with just a few stops. It takes you thru the heart of Florida.

On 75 you can not get the true feel of the state.
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 04:41 PM   #13

Freightliner Owners Club
Send a message via Skype™ to DavCor
I'll add my two cents, for what it is worth. I've driven from "up north" to the Tampa, Sarasota area more times than I care to mention. I have done all the routes mentioned above, and a couple others that are non-starters.
If you want fewer headaches, the best route by far in to take I-10 west out of Jacksonville. (Actually, you won't get into Jax proper using I-10) Take I-10 to I-75 and go to Tampa. Yes, this route is longer, less scenic, but it provides the best roads.
If you do decide to do 301, the folks above are right, lots of small towns, and stop signs. Also, it is easy to miss the cut off back to I-75.
Under NO circumstances would I even remotely consider doing I-4 through Orlando. The traffic during the high season (now) is unbelievable, with a lot of drivers that drive completely out of their brain-housing-group.
Just my thoughts. Safe trip!!!!!!!!!!!
On the road in a Tiffin Allegro Red 34, with Blue Ox towing system. Reve, the cat, is Second Officer, who's duties are to lay quiet and do nothing. Donna, my bride, is the First Officer and Navigator . . . Dave drives.
DavCor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 04:55 PM   #14

Forest River Owners Club
We live south of Sarasota

Travel this route many times going north or to Savannah. We will never ever travel I-4 thru Orlando again. One hour saved is not worth my family's life. Use I-10 and 301. Enjoy real Florida. And the road is really good.
Free Bird is offline   Reply With Quote