Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-25-2016, 07:16 AM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
Send a message via Skype™ to KenandBarbie
Route 66 completed. Thank you for a great trip

I am delighted to report that a week ago we completed Route 66 at Santa Monica Pier – the fulfilment of my Bucket List Item 1, having started in Adams Street, Chicago 4 weeks earlier. Doing this route was the original reason we started down the road to buy a motorhome. Route 66 was a great trip which exceeded our expectations, and one we would thoroughly recommend with some caveats as below.

1. Take plenty of time. We took a month and could have used more time.
2. Take several reference books, but make sure that one of them is Jerry McClanahan’s EZ66 Guide for Travellers.
3. Do not expect to see everything there is to see.
4. If you want a comfortable ride use the freeway on those stretches where the original 66 runs alongside the Freeway.
5. Know before you start that you will make navigational errors because the signposting is not always clear, in which case, if married make sure that you start out with a strong marriage, and/or take a good navigator
6. Know that there are no quick stops.
7. Be willing to take diversions away from and back to the Route to see even more sights along the way.

As foreigners we were in plentiful company. Route 66 is obviously a draw for people from Europe, Asia, the present and former British Commonwealth countries and elsewhere – much more than we had appreciated beforehand. We salute the many people along the way who are excellent ambassadors for USA (even better than some politicians – smile) and who made our journey so interesting and very amusing.

The Route itself was a lesson to us in US social history and landscape. But of course most of all it was simply fun because of the many super people we met.

We travelled in our Class A motorhome and trailer rig combo which is 58 ft long. Apart from a single challenge due to my navigational error we had no difficulties whatsoever, including getting downtown Chicago and right down to the foot of the Santa Monica Pier. We did not see many Class A motorhomes doing the route when we did it.

We did our best to support Route 66 RV sites by staying with them. In general, with a few exceptions, the sites are fair to average standard and because of the location of Route 66, which typically follows the Rail Road and has been replaced by the Freeway, they are typically very noisy at night.

We did 2,500 miles in our motorhome and 1,200 miles in our toad.

The people in small businesses along the route deserve support and encouragement, not to mention those in Information Centres and Route 66 “Museums”. By their actions they are collectively attracting foreigners to come to USA to spend dollars, and also Americans, and in so doing creating jobs in areas that might not otherwise have jobs. We are very happy to lend our support to and admiration of them and to all those we met along the way who made our trip such a memorable road trip exceeding our expectations.

I am happy to share our experience and comment to fellow travellers if requested. Well done USA!
KenandBarbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-25-2016, 07:27 AM   #2

WOW, Wonderful trip and story. SEE THE USA!
JimB
JBDISCOVERY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2016, 04:25 PM   #3

So glad that you had a wonderful time driving on the "Mother Road", seeing the country not from the interstates, but from the core. Thank you as well for posting your impressions...and kind words about our country. There is so much more to the USA than Disneyland and big cities.

It is very refreshing to see our country through the eyes (and read words) from someone from another country. All cities, states, and countries have wonderful memories to share with those that make the effort.

We too make the effort when traveling outside of the USA.

Hope that you come back again sometimes.
HavingABlast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2016, 04:09 PM   #4

Good story. Route 66 is on my bucket list - at least to drive a significant part of it.
RPreeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2016, 03:28 AM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
HI Rick. I encourage you to do the trip, and am happy to share our experience. I have written up a short story on our trip. Best regards.
Old 11-26-2016, 02:57 AM   #6

Sounds like you had a wonderful trip. We are on the Route 66 leg of our journey now. We're in Missouri. We plan on following it through Arizona. Thanks for the tip on the book. I'm interested to hear your favorite spots between Missouri and Arizona. We're also doing many side trips, so please mention any "must see" treasures you discovered!
obxmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2016, 06:07 AM   #7

Great story. We hit some small portions on our trip west, and want to do more.
partskenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2016, 11:16 PM   #8

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Triple E Owners Club
Route 66 long on our bucket list too. Soon, retirement looms!

BTW, did you see Tod or Buzz?
Old 11-27-2016, 05:21 AM   #9
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Thank you for the update they are important for those who may do a search of the subject in the future.
See My Pace Arrow Upgrades
JohnRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2016, 05:36 AM   #10

Tiffin Owners Club
I have some pages of my trip Blog in .pdf format which i would happily send you if that would be of interest. I would probably best send them by email. Jerry's book is pretty comprehensive on sights and landmarks along the way on the Route itself.
Old 12-23-2016, 08:11 PM   #11

Ford Super Duty Owner
route 66

We are planning a trip on the MOTHER ROAD. what is the best time of the year to start out from western NY.
dgrandusky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2016, 12:25 AM   #12

Tiffin Owners Club
We have only done the trip once so not experts by any means. I think I would prefer to keep away from August on the Mother road and let families on vacation and the hot weather go to it. And I would prefer to avoid the cold weather on the road too, so that suggests June or mid-September, and that is still in season when things to see and do are all open and working. As luck would have it, when we did it after the summer and enjoyed great weather and everything was still open and no pressure of crowds anywhere we stopped. Safe travels.