Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-15-2021, 07:13 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by amosnandy View Post
Can I assume you have a reason to go north to Wyoming? If you are looking for the easiest, shortest route you go nowhere near Wyoming.

40 to Okie city, 44 to St Louis, 70 to Dublin Oh, 71 to Cleveland where you pick up 90 all the way through NY. You can either cut across on 67, which is not a bad road, or stay on 90 to Albany and take 87 north.

Remember 90 across Indiana and Ohio is also a toll road. If you are pulling a Toad, you'll pay for 4 axels, which is one step down from what a semi pays. NY is expensive and I believe 80 across Pennsylvania is now a toll road. They were talking about it a couple years ago as 76 and 81 are both toll roads. One thing you do not want to do is go into NYC over the GW bridge. A class A motorhome towing a car is about $75. You can come out of NYC into NJ free.

Ran that route many times in the semi.

And Rockford is in Illinois not Wisconsin.
PA I-81 is not toll a road. I-476, that mirrors some of the northern section of I-81 is.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-18-2021, 01:52 PM   #16

I 90 in Ohio, is only a toll road to about 20 miles West of Cleveland where it exits off the Ohio Turnpike (Exit 142).
It is free thru Ohio and Pa.until you enter New York, where it becomes a toll road again.

Tim
Old 07-27-2021, 07:57 AM   #17

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
We had wanted to go the Northern route to visit the Badlands and some of the fossil areas. We decided to lower our sights for a couple of reasons and leave those things for another tour. We went 70,71 then 90. We followed the scenic 2 lane along lake Erie into New York until it ended. It's very pretty and has some nice State parks. This cut out half of the toll routs. Glad we did. We paid $78.99 for just the part we used. As was mentioned before we paid Tractor Trailer rates. It was a less complex and crowded way to go though with better rest stops so not too bad. Shame that they feel that a lighter weight RV being used for recreation should pay the same as a heavily loaded commercial truck but that's government privatization these days. All are sheep to be sheared.
33' 2008 National Tropical on a Freightliner chassis.RVM#189
Kahoona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2021, 08:11 AM   #18

They charge by the axle, not by the pound. Can you imagine the traffic jam if they had to weigh every vehicle going through?

Joel
J Birder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2021, 08:37 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Birder View Post
They charge by the axle, not by the pound. Can you imagine the traffic jam if they had to weigh every vehicle going through?

Joel
The NYS Thruway charges by the axle and height above the front axle.

More then 7'2" is a big rig.

Huge 5th wheels are charged car/trailer rates. A small motorhome is truck rates.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2021, 09:11 AM   #20

I just went thru Illinois, Indiana,and Ohio on 80/90
43ft with a Jeep
The toll was a Class 5 commercial on my Ez Pass
Ezpass is discounted from the cash, unsure what the discount was.
Illinois one toll near the Indiana border was $5.20
Indiana was $58 and change
Ohio was $25 and change
2cyber71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 06:07 PM   #21

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkeitsock View Post
what about using I-40 to I-81 north to I-80 west to I-287 , I-87 north then head east somewhere in NY state.
I-40 bridge over Mississippi River is to open back up around first week in August. Check tdot.gov or Arkansas DOT for timing. Eastbound and westbound were to open a week apart.

If taking I-40 to I-81, avoid going thru downtown Nashville, by taking the I-840 bypass around the south side of the city. Way less traffic, it's all out in the country. Avoid Knoxville at rush hour. Went thru there at rush hour a couple of weeks ago and saw 3-4 different accidents that held up everything.
Old Yesterday, 06:21 PM   #22

For those that suggested to go through Canada…..you can’t go into Canada until late August at the earliest. The NY Thruway is now all electronic. Having an EZ Pass will save you a great deal of dollars and time, particularly if you are going across Illinois, Indiana, and Ohio. Yes you can exit I-90 before Cleveland but you will have to navigate Downtown Cleveland and the infamous Deadman’s Curve where 90 meets Ohio 2.

Tags
east coast, route