Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-14-2021, 04:42 PM   #1

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Question Route 90/80 east coast toll road

We are headed from New Mexico to visit friends and relatives in Vermont. We will probably pick up 90 in Wyoming. No matter what er do it looks like we will have to take that toll stretch of 90/80 that starts near Rockford Wisconsin and runs to Utica in NY. Taking 80 through PA will be way out of the way so we may be stuck with it.

How expensive is the toll? Does EZ pass work there? Id it a decent road? Good condition? Worth it?

The other question is has anyone gone through Wisconsin then upper Michigan then crossed into Canada and returned to the US in Vermont? Cat has vaccination and so do we. We have the passports. So many questions, I know. We never think this far ahead!
33' 2008 National Tropical on a Freightliner chassis.We tow a 2001 XJ (Cherokee) RVM#189
Kahoona is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-14-2021, 04:46 PM   #2
RV LIFE Support Team

Yes, going through Canada is fine. You need Passports to do this in normal times.

Currently the Canadian border is closed due to Covid.

2015 Winnebago Vista 36Y + Honda CRV
RV LIFE Support Team
Sue46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2021, 04:52 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Tolls are minimal and the trip is easy. Ive done it about a dozen times in the last three or four years. I took an EZpass gizmo from NH a West this time (last month) and it worked all the way. A they’ve even eliminated some of the toll booths and just have license plate readers over each lane to bill folks without ezpass. So it’s getting .....EZer
R.Wold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2021, 05:24 PM   #4

Here is the NY Thruway ( I 90 ) toll calculator.

If your over 7' 6" at the front axle and towing, expect tractor trailer rates.

https://wwwapps.thruway.ny.gov/tollcalculator/
twinboat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2021, 05:34 PM   #5

what about using I-40 to I-81 north to I-80 west to I-287 , I-87 north then head east somewhere in NY state.
Old 07-14-2021, 05:34 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I went across New York on the toll road about 13 years ago with my coach pulling a toad and it cost me over $100.
Arch Hoagland is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2021, 05:37 PM   #7

How come you don't want to pick up 80 in wyoming? I realize it's a couple hours south of 90 but 80 isn't all tolls and when you hit ohio you could always hit 90 relatively easy also.
inthepines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2021, 05:47 PM   #8

I think you're a little confused.

I80 does not even get close to Wisconsin.

Rockford is in Illinois, not Wisconsin. I90 goes by Rockford, but I80 doesn't come close.

From Rockford, I90 will take you through downtown Chicago. You will be better off taking I39 to I80, then pick up I90 near Illinois/Indiana border.

Joel
J Birder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2021, 06:20 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arch Hoagland View Post
I went across New York on the toll road about 13 years ago with my coach pulling a toad and it cost me over $100.
The OP said PA line to Utica, about half way. Still $50, if towing.

I live near it and don't use it.
twinboat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2021, 06:37 PM   #10

Fleetwood Owners Club
We do a lot to avoid the mess around Chicago.

Have you considered I-40 to Ok City to St Louis to Indianapolis to Columbus and then up through Buffalo? Less mountains and more prairie (which could be good or bad) and you avoid tolls until you get into the north east.
GypsyCoder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2021, 06:45 PM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kahoona View Post
We are headed from New Mexico to visit friends and relatives in Vermont. We will probably pick up 90 in Wyoming. No matter what er do it looks like we will have to take that toll stretch of 90/80 that starts near Rockford Wisconsin and runs to Utica in NY. Taking 80 through PA will be way out of the way so we may be stuck with it.

How expensive is the toll? Does EZ pass work there? Id it a decent road? Good condition? Worth it?

The other question is has anyone gone through Wisconsin then upper Michigan then crossed into Canada and returned to the US in Vermont? Cat has vaccination and so do we. We have the passports. So many questions, I know. We never think this far ahead!
Can I assume you have a reason to go north to Wyoming? If you are looking for the easiest, shortest route you go nowhere near Wyoming.
40 to Okie city, 44 to St Louis, 70 to Dublin Oh, 71 to Cleveland where you pick up 90 all the way through NY. You can either cut across on 67, which is not a bad road, or stay on 90 to Albany and take 87 north.

Remember 90 across Indiana and Ohio is also a toll road. If you are pulling a Toad, you'll pay for 4 axels, which is one step down from what a semi pays. NY is expensive and I believe 80 across Pennsylvania is now a toll road. They were talking about it a couple years ago as 76 and 81 are both toll roads. One thing you do not want to do is go into NYC over the GW bridge. A class A motorhome towing a car is about $75. You can come out of NYC into NJ free.

Ran that route many times in the semi.

And Rockford is in Illinois not Wisconsin.
amosnandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2021, 07:45 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by inthepines View Post
How come you don't want to pick up 80 in wyoming? I realize it's a couple hours south of 90 but 80 isn't all tolls and when you hit ohio you could always hit 90 relatively easy also.
90 will take you thru Chicago. 80 will take you thru the southern suburbs...still busy but not not nearly as bad as going the city.
Old 07-14-2021, 07:51 PM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
I took 86/88 across NY en route to VT and points beyond on my last trip in June after consulting folks here and found it a good route/road and no tolls. Also avoided most of the ohio tolls on the way back by taking 30 but you have to be prepared to take your time and go through a lot of small towns. I enjoyed it but it would be frustrating if you’re in a hurry.
R.Wold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2021, 05:34 AM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Coastal Campers
80 in Pennsylvania is not a toll road. I just went across Indiana and Ohio on 224. Nice drive. Avoided all the tolls and Chicago. Win-win.

Tags
east coast, route