Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-12-2022, 06:21 AM   #1

Route around Boston

We are currently in Salem. MA for a few days and will be leaving to head to Cape Cod on Friday.

We drove into Boston a couple of times from Harold Parker State Forest and are aware of how atrocious the traffic can be. I would prefer to make the drive on Saturday, but can't stay the extra day.

I use RV Trip Wizard, but like local input. We are a 31 ft motor home towing.
Charming is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-12-2022, 07:05 AM   #2

I don't know what restrictions if any exist with the tunnels through Boston MA - have not been back there since the highway was put under the city.

Going out to 128 / 95 is not much better. If you go even farther to 495 it gets better but that is a huge detour. Best bet might be to leave late at night then pull off about 20 minutes before you get to either of the Cape Cod bridges. Don't matter which you take - thy both stink.

Also, Cape Cod traffic is a bear. So that break before the bridge to walk dog, stretch legs, hit rest room will be a good idea. Resupply groceries before getting to the Cape - the traffic and prices stink.
Old 10-12-2022, 07:13 AM   #3

I would take 128 around to rt 24 south. On a sat morning 128 should not be that bad. Stay away from downtown!

128 is somewhat winding, so just keep your awareness up. Drivers there actually now seem much much better than when was growing up driving those roads.
Old 10-12-2022, 09:04 AM   #4

Entegra Owners Club
I would just take I/95 to 3 which will take you to the Sagamore Bridge. You'll have traffic but going out to I/495 is just too far. Be advised the "bridge" lanes are narrow. I keep my left tires on the lane line. Our first Motor home had a full length scar from the HIGH CURB !
Cousin Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2022, 05:51 PM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
If you have propane on board, I believe that is an issue traveling from the North Shore to the South Shore via the tunnel. My recommendation is to take 128 around. A little more time, but easier and most likely less stressful.
Mike8253 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2022, 07:20 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cousin Ed View Post
I would just take I/95 to 3 which will take you to the Sagamore Bridge. You'll have traffic but going out to I/495 is just too far. Be advised the "bridge" lanes are narrow. I keep my left tires on the lane line. Our first Motor home had a full length scar from the HIGH CURB !
Thanks, that looks like RV Trip Wizard's preferred route. I passed along the Sagamore bridge info to the driver. The navigator has spent much of this trip yelling - watch the right - so we should make it across okay.

We packed up most of the outside stuff yesterday in anticipation of the rain. All we need to do is wait for the worst of the wind and rain to pass this morning before we hit the road.
Old 10-15-2022, 06:57 AM   #7

Thanks for the warning about the bridge, luckily traffic was not heavy yesterday, thanks to the all day rain and drizzle.

The exhaust pipe though did not make it through all the standing water we had to drive through. We will be searching for a mobile mechanic on Monday to try and clamp it back and with luck a muffler shop that can get to us without much delay.

Oh the joy of RV'ing.
Old 10-15-2022, 07:32 AM   #8

I don’t know what advice you got, but always get to 495 to get around Boston, any other way is worse. Just my opinion from 23 yrs of RVing and traveling to Boston area every year.
2cyber71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2022, 12:29 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2cyber71 View Post
I don’t know what advice you got, but always get to 495 to get around Boston, any other way is worse. Just my opinion from 23 yrs of RVing and traveling to Boston area every year.
I was worried about I-95, we crossed it several times during the week and was wall to wall traffic each time. Luckily, the bad weather kept all the sane people home or at work and the only heavy traffic was in Salem and in Cape Cod.

Tags
route