Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-19-2021, 06:43 AM   #1

Route from Breckinridge to Yellowstone?

Anyone know of a good route from Breckinridge, CO to West Yellowstone?
Something that’s safe for a 43 ft DP pulling a Jeep
Busskipper, do you have a good route?
2cyber71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-19-2021, 07:29 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2cyber71 View Post
Anyone know of a good route from Breckinridge, CO to West Yellowstone?
Something that’s safe for a 43 ft DP pulling a Jeep
Busskipper, do you have a good route?
Just to make this easy and Quick, Craig, Dubois, West Yellowston are the way points - this is the Map - https://www.bing.com/maps?osid=cac87...=2&form=S00027

Lots of options but this is the Simple straightforward answer - Lot of State Parks along the way - lot of detours but this would be simplest and shortest - all good roads and a truely Beautiful Drive.

Will likely chime in as you reply, or/as to other options and ways to drive this through/to many of the state parks along the way. We did some of these roads last summer and the drive into the Tetons over the continital divide on RT 26 was the best.

Hope this helps,
Busskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2021, 07:42 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busskipper View Post
Just to make this easy and Quick, Craig, Dubois, West Yellowston are the way points - this is the Map - https://www.bing.com/maps?osid=cac87...=2&form=S00027

Lots of options but this is the Simple straightforward answer - Lot of State Parks along the way - lot of detours but this would be simplest and shortest - all good roads and a truely Beautiful Drive.

Will likely chime in as you reply, or/as to other options and ways to drive this through/to many of the state parks along the way. We did some of these roads last summer and the drive into the Tetons over the continital divide on RT 26 was the best.

Hope this helps,
Wow!
This is for next summer 6 week trip
Thanks for the advice.
We’re thinking of Breckinridge for a week then to Yellowstone.
I think I’m going to give up on Salt Lake City, it’s too hot there.
I was going to do a week in Heber City, but this heatwave scared me.
I knew you would have a good route.
Thank you.
Old 06-19-2021, 08:04 AM   #4

Quote:
Wow!
This is for next summer 6 week trip
Thanks for the advice.
We’re thinking of Breckinridge for a week then to Yellowstone.
I think I’m going to give up on Salt Lake City, it’s too hot there.
I was going to do a week in Heber City, but this heatwave scared me.
I knew you would have a good route.
Thank you.
Unless you have something you just need to be at in Breck - it would be a Way Point for me - Leadville/Twin Lakes/Buena Vista/Salida/Red Cliff/ Tourquoise Lake would be where I'd spend 7 days in the Mountains - Lakes - Rivers - Passes - Hiking - Dispersided Camping - One of the best areas of Colorado, issue is it is Popular on the weekends - A great long Day would be Twin Lakes - over Independence Pass to Maroon Bells, all in the Toad just beautiful. Cottonwood Pass, is another Pass that is there for You.

Now as you head North - Look at Stagecoach Lake SP - Steamboat Springs SP - Yampa SP - all are Great - Rabbit Ears Pass - Steam Boat Springs.

Then in Dubois through the Wind River Mountains - Just beautiful with the Drive into Jackson Lake and the Tetons - coming into Yellowstone from the South - Few great Pull outs this way to see the River then on to Old Faithfull, just pull in you may get Lucky and catch it going Off. Then on out to West Yellowstone. We did all this Last summer with the Grands and actually stayed in Island Park - our kids loved it as the water is what they Loved - swam every day - hikes were great and the Visits to YNP were almost Secondary.

The crowds are just hard for me to put up with - but it is a beautiful park - Put a note on your plans to Order Bear Spray before you GO! it is needed.

Where else are you headed?

Best of Luck,
Old 06-19-2021, 08:12 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busskipper View Post
Unless you have something you just need to be at in Breck - it would be a Way Point for me - Leadville/Twin Lakes/Buena Vista/Salida/Red Cliff/ Tourquoise Lake would be where I'd spend 7 days in the Mountains - Lakes - Rivers - Passes - Hiking - Dispersided Camping - One of the best areas of Colorado, issue is it is Popular on the weekends - A great long Day would be Twin Lakes - over Independence Pass to Maroon Bells, all in the Toad just beautiful. Cottonwood Pass, is another Pass that is there for You.

Now as you head North - Look at Stagecoach Lake SP - Steamboat Springs SP - Yampa SP - all are Great - Rabbit Ears Pass - Steam Boat Springs.

Then in Dubois through the Wind River Mountains - Just beautiful with the Drive into Jackson Lake and the Tetons - coming into Yellowstone from the South - Few great Pull outs this way to see the River then on to Old Faithfull, just pull in you may get Lucky and catch it going Off. Then on out to West Yellowstone. We did all this Last summer with the Grands and actually stayed in Island Park - our kids loved it as the water is what they Loved - swam every day - hikes were great and the Visits to YNP were almost Secondary.

The crowds are just hard for me to put up with - but it is a beautiful park - Put a note on your plans to Order Bear Spray before you GO! it is needed.

Where else are you headed?

Best of Luck,
Thanks for the excellent information.
Not sure yet. We already did the Black Hills. Doing Glacier this year.
I think the Tetons would be a nice stop for a few days.
Trying to stay north and cool for the trip.
Already have Yellowstone locked in for 12 nights.
Nothing else locked in yet.
Have relatives in Lander.
Been thru Leadville, would go back
Thanks again
Old 06-19-2021, 08:37 AM   #6

Quote:
Thanks for the excellent information.
Not sure yet. We already did the Black Hills. Doing Glacier this year.
I think the Tetons would be a nice stop for a few days.
Trying to stay north and cool for the trip.
Already have Yellowstone locked in for 12 nights.
Nothing else locked in yet.
Have relatives in Lander.
Been thru Leadville, would go back
Thanks again
Great Plan.

So Glacier will deserve Same amount of Time as YNP - If you do that then Little real time left to schedule anthing else in the six weeks other than the short trip into Colorado

Drive out - 6-7 days - 7 Days in Colorado - YNP 12 days - GNP 12 Days drive Back 6-7 days

6x7 = 42 days

7+7+12+12+7 = 45days - looks like you have done a great job filling the Calendar -

Will you try RT 36 coming out?

Also when you drive though Denver Get off I- 70 and try My Welcome to Colorado Drive along Clear Creek - Golden to Idaho Springs on RT 6 Just Beautiful.

As this is for next year you could get lucky and Snag a spot in Golden Clear Creek CG - While a city park it is My Favorite Park ever - on Clear Creek - In town - Shade - Golden - a little tight but to wake up and play along Clear Creek is just special. Coors to tour if interested and Downtown Golden is just Neat/Special.

We have stayed in a Great little Dispersed spot near Red Cliff - easy and Beautiful if you are into that. If interested would PM you the location, as it does not need to be made too popular.

Buena Vista and Salida both have Great Waterfront parks and Downtowns to enjoy along the Arkasas River. Kids love that.

Like the Fact that you are dedicating large chuncks of time in a couple single spots - Smart - Most do not, making it hard to Catch their Breath.

If I can be of more Help will be Glad to Chip in - especially in Colorado.

Bill
Old 06-19-2021, 08:48 AM   #7

That’s the plan 6 day out, 6 days back.
I’m doing Glacier this year.
12 in Yellowstone Next Year
7 or so either Breckinridge or Heber City.
Not sure yet.
If the wife retires we can do 10-12 weeks.
I’m quitting this fall. I had it.
40 yrs of 60 hour weeks, for what to get old and can’t do anything?
I’m taking 12 weeks off this yr. doing 3 trips without the wife.
Took 11 weeks off last yr, plus 8 week shut down for COVID-19, took off the whole time. campgrounds were open
Old 06-19-2021, 09:38 AM   #8

Quote:
That’s the plan 6 day out, 6 days back.
I’m doing Glacier this year.
12 in Yellowstone Next Year
7 or so either Breckinridge or Heber City.
Not sure yet.
If the wife retires we can do 10-12 weeks.
I’m quitting this fall. I had it.
40 yrs of 60 hour weeks, for what to get old and can’t do anything?
I’m taking 12 weeks off this yr. doing 3 trips without the wife.
Took 11 weeks off last yr, plus 8 week shut down for COVID-19, took off the whole time. campgrounds were open
Let me try for one more Super Area to go with YNP and GNP - San Juan's.

Look it over - it would allow some trips off road in the Jeep to get to those places you can only hike to in your next two stops.

Possible stops - Creede - Lake City - Alpine Loop - Silverton - Ouray - Ridgway - This is IMHO as beautiful as it Gets -still Wild and while beautiful it not a National Park YET!

From here you could still head North to YNP through Dubois or Jackson if wanted.

Herber City would just be Hot - Breck does not have the elevation to be really cool either so I would look hard at finding Elevation to stay Cool, Leadville rarely gets above 80 so that is an option but also shows you don't have to go North, shows that elevation is the Cure to Heat.

Look over making Pagosa Spring the Target Way Point going to Colorado - Just a Thought,

MAP - https://www.bing.com/maps?osid=f0c94...=2&form=S00027

Tags
route, yellowstone