Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-31-2021, 04:40 PM   #1

Route from Brunswick, GA to Sevierville, TN

Hi all...and thank you ahead of time for your time helping us out here!
Planning to go from Brunswick, GA to Sevierville, TN without going thru Atlanta, GA in March 2022. I've read so many negative reviews on traveling through Atlanta. We would actually go out of our way to avoid it! Ideas?
Thank you,
The trip planner of the pair.
Camp Queen is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-31-2021, 05:43 PM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
I think the best route is I-95 North into South Carolina, then I-26 West to Asheville, then I-40 West to TN-66. The only real towns you have to go through are Savannah, Columbia, and Asheville. Nothing compared to Atlanta.

There was construction on I-26 near Asheville last time I went through there, but that was early 2020 - might be better now.

You will have the mountains on I-40 west of Asheville, but should be no problem. I drove that section last summer and it was OK.

Regards.

Chuck
Old 11-01-2021, 08:58 AM   #3

Drove the same route this summer in a 2016 32SA Tiffin and had no problems.
mark1219 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2021, 02:01 PM   #4
doc

Appalachian Campers
Suggest you continue to avoid Atlanta. I-95 is/can be a bear traffic wise also. For some reason around the Savannah area on 95 we always get jammed as bad as some in and around Atlanta.
If you want a nice drive with lots of scenery you might come up thru Millledgeville and get on US 441. Most of it is 4 lane to GSMNP and then thru the park to Sevierville
doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2021, 02:11 PM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
441 through the park is a no-go for a coach. Low clearances and tight curves. Maybe smaller RV's will do OK but I wouldn't drive our coach through there.

Regards.

Chuck
Old 11-01-2021, 02:24 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Air Conditioned Gypsy View Post
I think the best route is I-95 North into South Carolina, then I-26 West to Asheville, then I-40 West to TN-66. The only real towns you have to go through are Savannah, Columbia, and Asheville. Nothing compared to Atlanta.

There was construction on I-26 near Asheville last time I went through there, but that was early 2020 - might be better now.

You will have the mountains on I-40 west of Asheville, but should be no problem. I drove that section last summer and it was OK.

Regards.

Chuck
Just returned home to Asheville last week on I-26 W from Charleston. I-26W is in horrible state of disrepair and road construction from Hendersonville to Asheville. Took over an hour for that short stretch and shook all the staples out of our trailer. Passable if you check your tire pressures and suspension. I-40W Asheville to Knoxville has been repaired, but expect slow traffic especially this time of year. There are tons of people visiting BRP and GSMNP this time of year. Expect slow travel thru Thanksgiving.
Old 11-01-2021, 03:12 PM   #7
doc

Appalachian Campers
"441 through the park is a no-go for a coach. Low clearances and tight curves. Maybe smaller RV's will do OK but I wouldn't drive our coach through there."

Actually I have towed thru the Park several times with a 40 foot coach, towing a Jeep. The tunnels are measured on the side (lowest)
I don't really care how the man gets there, I just know that26 is a pain as is 40 across the mountain. 40 had bridge work going on in the gorge are a while back and the truckers were still trying a run a interstate speed.
An hour over the mountain thru the park or all day on the interstates. I'll take the park.
doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2021, 07:21 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Going that away next fall thur the park with a 40 coach pulling a pickup nice to know it can be done thanks
oh no is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2021, 11:54 AM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Carolina Campers
Spartan Chassis
2 years ago I was a 4 month 1st time owner of an RV and did the 441 route from way south thru GSMNP towing my jeep. No real issues, I just took my time.
Old 11-09-2021, 05:25 AM   #10

I am not a big fan of driving through Atlanta, but do it semi often since live in Augusta. Typically we go either through Atlanta on I20 straight through, or take 285 south then pick up 85 south towards Montgomery. It all depends on the time of day you travel through. I have seen people say they want to "avoid Atlanta at all costs", then there are those who say it all depends on timing. I was stationed at Ft. McPherson just south of Atlanta and would drive it daily at rush hour, you just need to know where the choke points are and how to avoid them or minimize their impact during your drive.
boomersooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2021, 10:33 PM   #11

I live south of Newnan GA off of I-85 and my travel buddy lives in Clayton county closer to I-75. Last trip returning from Balsam Mountain campground we came south from Cherokee to Franklin as usual and on south thru Clayton and stopped to eat at Cornelia. There I told my friend I was not doing I-285, and was going to take US 441 to Athens and around Athens to Madison and that way. He followed me to Athens and then took US 78 to Monroe and GA 138 to his house. Took longer but way lower on the irritation/anxiety index.

In 2020 returning from Cherokee I had taken I285 down the East side of Atlanta and opened the door to the trailer at home and found the glass front of the oven had shattered. I replaced it with the painted metal door (glass is pure decorative).

If you do take 441 thru the park, watch out for "bear jams" as there will be a few. Elk by the side of the road, turkey, and bear, traffic stops and things get choked up. There is one 360 degree spiral somewhere near MP 9 on the Tennessee side.

Driving thru downtown Cherokee is somewhat tight. Street is not all that wide and lots of people, parked cars, etc, so go slowly.

North of Franklin on US 23/441 there is a fairly long downgrade with construction shifting traffic all to one side. It was on going in 2020 and still in April 2021 had not changed much.

Charles
Old 11-17-2021, 05:10 AM   #12

Tiffin Owners Club
Slow thru Asheville.

Made the round trip to Vonore ,Tennessee back to Cocoa, Fl 2 weeks ago. I-95 then I-26, I-40. Took 4+ hours to get from Hendersonville N.C. to I-40 in Asheville . Decided that it was worth the risk to return to Cocoa thru Atlanta I-75. Pretty smooth thru Atlanta I-285 West. Stopped at rest area 50 or 60 miles South of Atlanta to check for bullet holes in RV. Found none. Happy Camper. Stay Safe.
Old 11-17-2021, 05:33 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marine359 View Post
Just returned home to Asheville last week on I-26 W from Charleston. I-26W is in horrible state of disrepair and road construction from Hendersonville to Asheville. Took over an hour for that short stretch and shook all the staples out of our trailer. Passable if you check your tire pressures and suspension. I-40W Asheville to Knoxville has been repaired, but expect slow traffic especially this time of year. There are tons of people visiting BRP and GSMNP this time of year. Expect slow travel thru Thanksgiving.
Wow, what the heck happened to I 26 it used to be a great road?
2cyber71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2021, 06:01 AM   #14

Tiffin Owners Club
Major Construction I-26 thru Asheville, N.C.

Major heavy construction from Hendersonville North on I-26 to almost where you intercept I-40 . One and sometimes very narrow 2- lane construction lanes with close Jersey Curbs , no pull-off lanes. Least little fender bender will shut down traffic. Worst planning that we can remember. Almost as if the present administration had planned this one. Stay safe.

Tags
route