Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-20-2008, 09:30 AM   #1

Hello everyone! We need a little advice, please! We are leaving North Texas on Nov. 2 for Vegas and have reservations in Vegas beginning Nov. 5. On Nov. 10 we are going to the Grand Canyon for 3 days and then back to North Texas. We don't really have a definite route picked out either going or coming but would like to see the Painted Desert possibly on our way back. Does anyone have suggestions or advice on routes and stops? We do need to be back home for work on Nov. 17. Any information would be greatly appreciated! This is our first "long" trip and we are interested in any and all suggestions!

Thanks for all the information everyone shares here. It is unbelievable!

Vicky (Captdonswife)
Captdonswife is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-20-2008, 09:30 AM   #2

Hello everyone! We need a little advice, please! We are leaving North Texas on Nov. 2 for Vegas and have reservations in Vegas beginning Nov. 5. On Nov. 10 we are going to the Grand Canyon for 3 days and then back to North Texas. We don't really have a definite route picked out either going or coming but would like to see the Painted Desert possibly on our way back. Does anyone have suggestions or advice on routes and stops? We do need to be back home for work on Nov. 17. Any information would be greatly appreciated! This is our first "long" trip and we are interested in any and all suggestions!

Vicky (Captdonswife)
Old 10-20-2008, 10:41 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Captdonswife:

Vicky (Captdonswife) </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Don't know where you are in N Texas. We've taken I20/10 and also I40. Prefer I 40. Not a great choice of campgrounds on 20/10 and there is still considerable construction in downtown Tucson which can be a little unsettling due to the concrete barriers and wild drivers. Phoenix has a lot of traffic but the loop around the east side is not bad at all.
I40 is much more relaxed and better campgound choices. If you are in the Dallas area US287 is a great road and there are a couple of great campgrounds in Amarillo. We've stayed at the Oasis RV Resort and the Ft Amarillo RV Resort and both are nice. Albuquerque is also a good stop and a close in campground that we stay at is the American RV park. Easy on and off I40 and about 5 miles from Old Town. If you will be visiting the south side of the Grand Canyon we have stayed in Williams and taken the train to the GC. We have stayed at the Grand Canyon Railroad RV park. From Williams you can do a train day trip of the Grand Canyon or spend the night at the lodge and return to Williams the next day. Great park and walking distance to downtown Williams and all the shops, etc. We have also stayed at Mather Campground at the Grand Canyon south rim. Mather is cheaper and very rustic and genreally quiet, at least at night but don't expect lots of amenities. On 40 and very close to the painted desert is Meteor Crater RV park. Very nice overnight park but the crater is pretty much a waste of time unless you are just expecting a hole in the ground. About 10 miles closer to the Petrified forest and painted desert is Holbrook. We stayed at the OK RV park. OK for an overnight but not much else.

Hope this helps a little,
mark

06 HR Endeavor 40 PET
Sixpack98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 09:55 AM   #4

Thanks, Mark, for your response and the information on the construction in Tucson. That is the route DH was looking at so that is probably the way we'll go.

Again, thanks for your advice!

Vicky (Captdonswife)
Old 10-27-2008, 05:36 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Tucson was the only white knuckle portion. There were concrete barriers on either side and it was a race track. I finally said the heck with it and hogged the center line. Made a few folks mad but the truckers were doing it too. There were a couple of spots that were just too tight for comfort. The rest of the trip north was not bad at all. Some pretty good climbs north of Phoenix but great road. Have a safe trip.

06 HR Endeavor 40 PET
Sixpack98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 10:39 AM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Captdonswife:
Thanks, Mark, for your response and the information on the construction in Tucson. That is the route DH was looking at so that is probably the way we'll go. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
From North Texas to Las Vegas, I'm not sure why you would go as far south as Tucson...it puts you miles and miles out of your way!

If it were me, I'd take I-40 to either US-93 at Kingman and go over Hoover Dam and on to Las Vegas, or take US-95 from Needles to Las Vegas.

If for some reason, you DO want to take the longer route through Tucson, I would NOT recommend going through Phoenix and up I-17 as, apparently, Sixpack98 is directing you.

Instead, I'd take I-8 west to SR-85 at Gila Bend, go north back to I-10 and then head west on I-10, taking either SR-95 north from Quartzsite or US-95 north from Blythe, CA. SR-95 is probably the most scenic drive, but will be slower because it means going through both Parker and Lake Havasu City. US-95 isn't as scenic but it's faster since it's a straight shot north from Blythe to Needles with nothing to slow you down (other than the wide spot in the road, Vidal Junction).