Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-29-2021, 05:41 PM   #1

Route from Phoenix to Mt Rushmore

Hi folks...planning a first out of state trip from Phoenix to Mt Rushmore. Can anyone suggest an easy route while pulling a 33 ft fifth wheel? Hopefully avoiding low bridges etc...hard to tell how good these roads are using RV Trip Wizard. Also, maybe while there, a good place to stay?
Thanks
Whammon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-29-2021, 11:41 PM   #2

Well... there are various ways to get there - just depends what you want to see along the way.

1182 miles - A very scenic one would be I-17 to Flagstaff then 89 north to 160 at Tuba City, AZ.
Then 160 east to 191 north (you'll be near Monument Valley, Canyonlands Nat'l Park, Arches Nat'l Park) to I-70 east to Denver.
Then I-25 north to 85 at Cheyenne, WY to 18/89/385 toward Hill City, SD.

There are many places to stay:

https://www.campgroundreviews.com/re...kota/hill-city

With our 40' motorhome we've never encountered low bridges, especially in the West. You're more apt to encounter tunnels and there are some to avoid around Mt. Rushmore. Read up on them.

Pick up the 'Mountain Directory for Truckers and RVers' so you can read about the roads you'll be driving for a heads up.
twogypsies is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2021, 05:32 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whammon2 View Post
Hi folks...planning a first out of state trip from Phoenix to Mt Rushmore. Can anyone suggest an easy route while pulling a 33 ft fifth wheel? Hopefully avoiding low bridges etc...hard to tell how good these roads are using RV Trip Wizard. Also, maybe while there, a good place to stay?
Thanks
What is the Mission? What do you enjoy? Many options available as you are starting in a pretty Popular area, Time of year might also effect the route, and the choices - IMHO - could be affected by time of year.

In general not much out West that will affect the where you have to go, as most of the Roads, if not all, work , some are just better choices than others.

Personally I'd likely make this at least a month up and a month Back. Again running in the more desirable areas based on the time of the Year/Weather. Timing the trip so as to be in areas that are just great to be in in the time of year.

Likely I'd head north catching the Tetons, then across to Custer - so much to see and do along the way - then on the way back I'd return through Colorado, hoping it might be late September, and having a chance to just meander through the Rockies as I head south back to Phoenix.

Just one more option, so much to see just never enough TIME!

Best of Luck,
Busskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2021, 07:40 AM   #4

we did that last fall.

going we left payson and took az-260, az-277, az-377, az-77 to holbrook where we got on i-40 east. stayed on it until i-25 north. stayed on it to cheyenne and took i-80 east. i know we then turned north and went through hot springs, sd before arriving at rapid city.

in the way home we went south through scottsbluff to i-80 and then cheyenne. then i-25 south to pueblo and then west on us 160 to bayfield co. we stayed there a week. from there we went though farmington, nm and took us 491 south the i-40. then back to payson.

as far as the roads go they were all fine. there was a lot of construction on i-25 between colorado springs and denver but that was last fall. it could be ending by now. i don't know current status.

it was a very enjoyable trip. we were gone about 4 1/2 weeks.

from phoenix the route through payson is about 100 miles shorter than using i-17 to flagstaff and i-40.
bigchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2021, 08:58 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whammon2 View Post
Thanks
We are actually in the middle of doing this trip right now. We left Goodyear on April 16th and now are sitting in Cottonwood at Verde Valley. When we leave here we are schedule to stop in Show Low. After Show Low our schedule is:
Gallup
Santa Fe
Alamosa, Co.
Colorado Springs, Co.
Sidney, Ne.
Finally Box Elder, S.D.
2017 Ram 3500 w/Aisin w/ 4:10 rearend
2016 E-Z-Go Golf Cart 2 Dachshunds DJ (Rainbow Bridge 9-12-2019) & Joey
hamm2018 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
route