Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-18-2018, 05:10 PM   #1

Route help requested

Hi all. I am new to this forum, and need some help from some more experienced travelers, please. My husband and I are currently full-timing in a 40 ft 5th wheel. We drove from Las Vegas to Florida, and are spending a few months in the keys, and then headed north to Maine. I’ve been planning our route with some places we want to see, but could use some help fine tuning things. Any advice or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

So far, I have stops in Savannah, Charleston, Asheville, Roanoke, Luray, VA, Hershey, PA, Catskill Mountains, and ending in Kennebunkport. This is extremely flexible! Our timeframe is to leave Florida the second week of June, and get to Maine by July 1. Thank you in advance for your help.[emoji4]
tropiclvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-18-2018, 05:14 PM   #2

Not sure what you're looking for help doing? More places to stop?
V3600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2018, 05:19 PM   #3

Probably not more places. More like if those places make sense, or if someplace might be better, or if that route seems logical? Also, any suggestions of where to stay at any of those places. We haven’t been to any of them. Thanks!
Old 04-18-2018, 05:40 PM   #4

Forest River Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
There really isn't a lot in Roanoke to see. I'd certainly want to go to Williamsburg and DC. By Ashville, you can get to Pidgeon Forge which for me would be another must see.
BuzzWolfAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2018, 05:50 PM   #5

Stay at Salisbury SP and drive to Kennebunkport.

https://www.mass.gov/locations/salis...te-reservation
h20ski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2018, 06:15 PM   #6

Roanoke was just a stopping point between Lurray (Shenandoah National park) and PA. Any alternative would be great. I’ve been to Williamsburg and DC multiple times, so avoiding those. I’ll definitely look at Pidgeon Forge. Thanks
Old 04-18-2018, 06:17 PM   #7

Also, we already have a space reserved in Kennebunkport for the month of July. Then planning on driving up to Bar Harbor in August, and then back to Florida in September.
Old 04-18-2018, 06:42 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by tropiclvr View Post
Hi all. I am new to this forum, and need some help from some more experienced travelers, please. My husband and I are currently full-timing in a 40 ft 5th wheel. We drove from Las Vegas to Florida, and are spending a few months in the keys, and then headed north to Maine. I’ve been planning our route with some places we want to see, but could use some help fine tuning things. Any advice or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

So far, I have stops in Savannah, Charleston, Asheville, Roanoke, Luray, VA, Hershey, PA, Catskill Mountains, and ending in Kennebunkport. This is extremely flexible! Our timeframe is to leave Florida the second week of June, and get to Maine by July 1. Thank you in advance for your help.[emoji4]
Two weeks for that trip and # stops doesn't seems like it allows much time at each / any.
Several are not direct line but rather zig-zagging?
Are you planning on "doing" anything at stops or just "have been" there?
You haven't stated what kind of things you like or are looking for...museums, history, activities, tours, opera, ... etc???
Winemaker2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2018, 06:49 PM   #9

We are actually planning on leaving from Daytona Beach around 6/8, so we’ll have around three weeks. We could eliminate some stops, and see them on the way back, but really don’t want to drive more than 4 hours or so a day. That’s why so many stops. We really like nature, hiking, bike riding, sightseeing. Trying to stay away from driving through cities in the rv. My brother lives near Hershey, which is why the stop there. Would ideally prefer a few nights in each place, but again, without too long a drive in one day. Does that make sense?
Old 04-18-2018, 06:58 PM   #10

Not much in the Catskills but Nature. If you want to swing a bit west the Finger Lakes area has a lot to offer.
nothermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2018, 07:55 PM   #11
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
I agree there isn't much to the Catskills. Go further north into the Adirondacks. Lake George NY is great. Close to Ft Ticonderoga and plenty to do there.
TonyDi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2018, 09:42 PM   #12

This blog might help you as they've recently did the east coast. On the top line is a Campground Review 'clicky' and on the right is a Search box to plug in the cities. They had a 40' motorhome for their trip so where they stayed might be helpful to you.

https://wheelingit.us/blog-links-resources/
twogypsies is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2018, 06:33 AM   #13

Determine which states you will pass through, then Google something like "North Carolina Tourism". I have found that each state has a very good website that list their attractions.
2005 Safari (Monaco)Trek 28RB2, Workhorse W20, 8.1, Allison 1000 5 spd, UltraPower engine & tranny, Track bars & sway bars, KONI FSD, FMCA 190830, Safari Int'l. chapter. 1999 Safari Trek 2830, 1995 Safari Trek 2430, 1983 Winnebago Chieftain, 1976 Midas Mini
George Schweikle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2018, 06:46 AM   #14

Great website! Thanks