RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-27-2020, 05:38 PM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
Question Route in Arizona?

Question about traveling in Arizona: Leaving Mesa, headed to Lordsburg, NM. Garmin has one route headed west on US 60 to I-10, then I-10 to Tucson, I-10 all the way to Lordsburg. Route 2 goes EAST from Mesa on US 60, then pick up US 70 headed SE all the way to Lordsburg. I've been on the I-10 route before, the US 60 & US 70 route is a new one to me, but is about 50 miles shorter. Any thoughts on one over the other?
TXwannabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-27-2020, 07:02 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
A couple of years ago came down from Payson to Highway 60 at Globe and grabbed 70 over to Lordsburg ... was in a Tiffin Breeze with a toad then ... it was a pleasant trip. Did that in October as I recall.
SeeTheUSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2020, 08:49 PM   #3

haven't been on 70 but we've done 60 between Mesa and Globe. as i recall it's 2-lane road a bit east of Apache Junction. a bit west of Globe i recall a fairly steep, curvy climb. it's been a few years so... the climb was certainly impossible or even difficult...but it's there. traffic on 60 also tends to go fast. if you have the time take a recon drive down 60 to Globe and judge for yourself.

if you do the recon drive in a 4WD toad you might consider returning to Mesa via the Apache Trail. take AZ188 west from US60 (a bit west of Globe) to AZ88 west at Roosevelt Dam. if 88 is open it's a very nice drive which will end at The Apache Trail in AJ which becomes Main Street in Mesa. Tortilla Flat is a great spot for lunch. The trail does close at times..it is not paved hence the recommendation for a 4WD vehicle...so if you decide to drive it be sure the entire length is open before starting.
rk911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2020, 09:39 PM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
We were out there this past spring and Rt. 60 was closed going east out there somewhere around Superior. Check to see if it's opened back up.
Old 11-27-2020, 11:29 PM   #5

I'd go 60/70. It's a beautiful drive. You'll have an uphill on 60 but very doable. 60 is a major highway so I doubt it's still closed from the past spring as someone mentioned.

The Apache Trail was closed the last I looked... spring/summer, I believe but that also may be open. It's a great trip with a 4x4 but it doesn't seem you have one.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2020, 09:00 PM   #6

I traveled 60 to 70 through Safford within the past 5 days. There is loose chat on 70 for miles northwest of Safford. I got 2 windshield chips. The repair shop in Safford told me that the chat is good for their business. For that reason I'd stick with the other option.

Tags
arizona, route