Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-29-2023, 09:04 PM   #1

Route recommendations - Savannah, GA to Navarre, FL?

Looking for suggestions for “best route” with best defined based on road conditions, current construction, expected delays, etc. Two fivers traveling together; not looking for side stops/sights to see in route….just moving day going 450+ miles from one vacation spot to the next.

Default route, unless good advice against it, is I-95 to Jacksonville & I-10 West; assumed to likely be the quickest route.

Also, curious about cutting off I-95 on Hwy 82/84 north of Brunswick and heading southwest through Valdosta to I-75, then south to I-10 as an alternate?

Appreciate any recent travel updates or thoughts on the above as well other options to consider.

Thanks,
RVnAggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-30-2023, 06:07 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVnAggie View Post
Looking for suggestions for “best route” with best defined based on road conditions, current construction, expected delays, etc. Two fivers traveling together; not looking for side stops/sights to see in route….just moving day going 450+ miles from one vacation spot to the next.

Default route, unless good advice against it, is I-95 to Jacksonville & I-10 West; assumed to likely be the quickest route.

Also, curious about cutting off I-95 on Hwy 82/84 north of Brunswick and heading southwest through Valdosta to I-75, then south to I-10 as an alternate?

Appreciate any recent travel updates or thoughts on the above as well other options to consider.

Thanks,
If you do take the I95 to I10 route, consider taking FL200 in Yulee which connects to 301 then to I10. Easy route, 4 lane most of the way, and only pass through a few towns (take bypasses around the towns when available). Helps you avoid JAX.
boomersooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2023, 06:10 AM   #3

Fwiw I-10 is nice and smooth and boring, no significant construction, Macclenny to the Alabama line.
Old 05-30-2023, 06:52 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVnAggie View Post
No idea current of road conditions, however.

Rough number is I-95 to I-10 to US-331 to US-98 to Navarre is 481 miles

I do not recommend 48 miles of driving on US-98 due to congestion, but up to you.

It is only 8 miles longer to stay on I-10 to FL-87 in Milton and miss the US-98 traffic.

-----

US-82/84 - 454 miles - 27 miles shorter than I-95/I-10 - if you follow US-84 all the way to Thomasville GA and take US-319 southwest to join I-10 on the east side of Tallahassee.

Taking I-75 at Valdosta to I-10 at Lake City is almost 540 miles - because I-75 takes you quite a few miles eastward.
OldBaldFat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2023, 06:16 PM   #5

Thanks all. Good info…..
Especially about 200 to 301 at Yulee. And glad to hear I-10 is smooth/boring; haven’t been west of Crestview in a few years.

And I did Mis-speak in regard to I-75 south from Valdosta……was looking at going through Madison to get to I-10; thanks for causing me to take a second look.

Safe travels,
Old 05-30-2023, 06:37 PM   #6

Madison would work.

Going to Lake City would be like going through Talty to get to Balch Springs.
OldBaldFat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2023, 02:31 PM   #7

'Last month we drove from New Orleans to Savannah (Skidaway Island) on I10 and I95 with no problem. We thought about taking the alternative mentioned above to avoid Jacksonville but decided against it. It was our easiest drive through Jacksonville. We were driving from Tallahassee to Skidaway on a Saturday.

When a poster gave me the suggestion of using the alternative route, I was warned about speed traps. So, watch the speed.
Charming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2023, 07:19 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charming View Post
'Last month we drove from New Orleans to Savannah (Skidaway Island) on I10 and I95 with no problem. We thought about taking the alternative mentioned above to avoid Jacksonville but decided against it. It was our easiest drive through Jacksonville. We were driving from Tallahassee to Skidaway on a Saturday.

When a poster gave me the suggestion of using the alternative route, I was warned about speed traps. So, watch the speed.

Thanks much!

Tags
route