Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-30-2020, 11:49 AM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Route through Kansas

we are in the planning stages of a trip from Minnesota to Eagle Nest, NM. Google maps shows three possible routes. We are thinking that one of our overnights will be Dodge City KS.

The route I am leaning towards is I-35 through Kansas City, I-625, to I-70. There is a toll on this road. Is this worth avoiding? What would the toll cost?

We are in a Class A, pulling a toad. We will be leaving at the end of May, and probably stay 2-3 weeks.

-Joel
ebprod is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-30-2020, 12:03 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
The toll from Eastern entrance to the Topeka I-70 exit for a RV towing a car is $ 6.00 cash or $ 4.45 if you get a free K-tag sticker for your RV and set up an account. ksturnpike.com. It's worth it comparted to the non-toll routes.

I suggest I-35 to I-29 north to I-635 south to I-70 west to K-156 southwest ...

Alternate with no toll would be to go thru St. Joseph MO and see the sites there then cut down to I-70 at Topeka.

Some possible stops include Topeka KS (State Capitol, Kansas Museum of History), Abilene KS (Eisenhower Library, Historical Museums, really good food at Brookville Hotel), Larnerd KS ( Ft. Larnerd National Historical Site )
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
powercat_ras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2020, 12:25 PM   #3

Location: Between Knoxville and Morristown, TN. A little place called Rutledge.
We did a partial drive on your route, leaving Eagles Nest, NM and went down to Springer NM on I25 and cut off east to Wichita, KS. The roads were 2 lanes but fuel was available and traffic light.

You can use google map and set options at "no tolls" and see how that looks. We enjoyed Eagles Nest although it was cold at night in mid September.
SteveNSue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2020, 12:47 PM   #4

We've used the route you're thinking about at least one way every year on our OR-WV-OR trips since the late '70s. The only difference is that we come into KC on 70. As mentioned the toll is insignificant, and for us it is the best way when going all the way through KC and Topeka on 70. When approaching from the north there may be a better way, I don't know.

We went to Dodge on one of those trips going west and used 156 and 56 from 70 to Dodge. It was not a very exciting road, mostly open land and an occasional feed lot. We did enjoy our visit to Dodge.

We have also enjoyed visiting MN a number of times, but could have done without the blood sucking flies. Even with them, it was enjoyable and beautiful.

Enjoy your trip!!

Steve

1996 Dodge Cummins 2500 with 1996 Lance 945 camper
dix39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2020, 02:55 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Thanks everyone, that useful information. The toll road isn't as expensive as I thought it would be.

-Joel
ebprod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2020, 11:29 AM   #6

Freightliner Owners Club
Toll road cost In 2019 was $3.50 one way....
jabassmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2020, 07:54 PM   #7

If you want to avoid the KC traffic, take Highway 36 off of I35. Go west to Highway 75 and then south to I70. Highway 36 will be four lane in Missouri then change to two lane in Kansas. The Kansas part will move at 60 to 65 mph and is not bad with a RV. I drive it twice a year with a RV going to the races.
Just Bob is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
route