Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-12-2018, 03:35 PM   #15

We have taken I-75 south for the past 7 years when going to Florida and follow it through Atlanta.
The best time of day seems to be between 10:00 am and 2:00 pm.
Atlanta definitely has traffic but if you pick your times, listen to the GPS and watch your lanes it can be an easy route.
We try to stay in the slower lanes, never HOV, travel under 60 mph and if someone want to pass us, go ahead, it's not a race.
Jim.B1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-13-2018, 07:01 AM   #16

Newmar Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by resullivan View Post
Ran the 441/129/83 south route today from Franklin, NC, to I-75S at Forsyth GA, great route, little traffic, good roads, will definitely use it again just to avoid ATL. Thanks
I'm glad it worked out as well as I thought....we use it. All the time
And where 441/129 hits I -20....there is a decent campground called Country Boy with large pull thrus and a couple of decent restaurants...but Thanks for the feedback on how you liked it...Chuck
chuckster52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2018, 07:04 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by resullivan View Post
Has anyone taken the Commerce exit off I-85 south on 441 thru Athens/ Eatonton, getting back to I-75 at Macon to avoid ATL altogether? Thanks
I did that coming home this year. Awesome drive!
Old 12-16-2018, 08:15 PM   #18

At Madison, where the 441 Bypass makes a left at the traffic light where the Chick-Fil-A is. if you go straight, the Wal-Mart will be on your right and you are on Lions Club Rd. It is less than a mile long and then turn left at the stop sign and you are not on GA83 south toward Monticello, and you avoid having to get on and then right off the interstate. If you need fuel, go ahead and make the left at the CFA and a Pilot is on the left. If you want to stop and eat at the CFA, park in the Lowes parking lot and walk over to the CFA, they are crowded into the corner. There is also a Cracker Barrel at 441 and I-20.

Charles
Old 12-22-2018, 08:06 PM   #19

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim.B1 View Post
We have taken I-75 south for the past 7 years when going to Florida and follow it through Atlanta.
The best time of day seems to be between 10:00 am and 2:00 pm.
Atlanta definitely has traffic but if you pick your times, listen to the GPS and watch your lanes it can be an easy route.
We try to stay in the slower lanes, never HOV, travel under 60 mph and if someone want to pass us, go ahead, it's not a race.
Agree with everything Jim.B1 said. We are always coming from Chattanooga on I-75 on our way to Florida in February. I check Waze & Google Maps first, but I have found that at rush hours in the afternoon, the bypasses are more jammed, especially on the south side, than just going straight thru town on I-75.
Old 12-27-2018, 02:38 PM   #20
rca

Workhorse Chassis Owner
We're doing the I-75 southbound route to Florida on Dec. 31 mid-day. Is the slow down on I-75 south of the 285 interchange still as bad? We've been moving a dead stop in the past! Any tips on avoiding this like an alternate route south? Thanks!
Old 12-27-2018, 03:02 PM   #21

Newmar Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by rca View Post
We're doing the I-75 southbound route to Florida on Dec. 31 mid-day. Is the slow down on I-75 south of the 285 interchange still as bad? We've been moving a dead stop in the past! Any tips on avoiding this like an alternate route south? Thanks!
From I-75 coming out of Chattanooga.....down 75 to below Resaca,Ga to 41 to 411 toward Calhoun,Ga to rt 27
Down Rt 27 to Columbus,Ga to I-185 South to rt 27 to rt 280 to Cordele,Ga....and back on I-75
Some small towns ,some with by-passes around them but traffic moves well ,all along the way.....C
chuckster52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2018, 05:20 PM   #22

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Chuckster has it right and offers a good route. I'd offer a few slight variations we like better. . Exit I-75 at Calhoun on to GA 53 to Rome,then catch US 27 south to LaGrange- GA 109 and east to the I-85-I-185 interchanges. At LaGrange grab I- 185 off I-85 south to GA 520 at Columbus through Ft Benning all the way to Tifton and I-75. All 4 lane all the way varying 55 and 65 speed. Nice scenery a few lights in some of the burgs. Good stopping points for RV's and service in Calhoun, Rome, Carrolton, LaGrange, Columbus, Albany and a few other places along the way.

Longer term the GA DOT is widening GA 133 out of Albany, through Moultrie on to 1-75 at Valdosta. Then it will be a 4 lane bypass of ATL with virtually no traffic all the way from Calhoun to Valdosta. I am not sure the GA 133 project is complete yet, but it was a great route even when 2 laned.
Americanrascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2018, 07:38 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by rca View Post
I went through there a couple weeks ago on a Tuesday morning around 11 AM. No traffic whatsoever. I'd guess before noon on new year's eve would be the same.
Beowolf is offline   Reply With Quote