Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-28-2018, 01:20 PM   #1

route to Fl from MA

We are planning trip to Fl the middle of Feburary. I usually go later in the season. I usually take I 81 down to I 77 and cross over to I 95. My question is because of the timing is it better to go down I95 all the way, my thinking is that there is snow in the mts on I81 and I read that they close the that highway. Is that true? I of course would watch the weather. Any suggestions would be helpful.
smac is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-28-2018, 04:35 PM   #2

Gulf Streamers Club
I'd just watch the weather reports and plan to sit for 24 hours if I-81 gets hit by snow. VA and PA do a pretty good job of clearing roads, you won't have long to wait. it would be my choice to wait rather than try to drive I-95 with its traffic and tolls.

"I usually take I 81 down to I 77 and cross over to I 95." I think you're going out of your way if traveling Florida to Massachusetts. I-77 runs from Cleveland, OH to Charleston, WV, Charlotte NC and then south.

From MA I use I-84 to Scranton, PA then S on I-81 to Middletown VA and I-66 to Exit 26 then US 17 until in joins I-95 S of Washington, DC. You avoid all major traffic and tolls, and the stretch of I-81 isn't too bad except for Harrisburg, PA. All the states your traveling through also have websites on highway conditions so you can know before you take off each day what you're going to encounter.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2018, 04:46 PM   #3

We are planning a similar mid Feb trip from W NY to FL.
We just watch the Wx and delay a day or so if needed.
We have gone E on I64 over mtns to Rt 29 if snow is forecasted along the lower I81 corridor.
Rt29 is divided hwy but does have some xroads. All makor towns have bypasses... all in all a pleasant drive. Frequently the E side of Blue Ridge has different Wx than the W side.
You then take I74 E to I95 near NC - SC line at Lumberton NC.
Winemaker2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2018, 06:27 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winemaker2 View Post
We are planning a similar mid Feb trip from W NY to FL.
We just watch the Wx and delay a day or so if needed.
We have gone E on I64 over mtns to Rt 29 if snow is forecasted along the lower I81 corridor.
Rt29 is divided hwy but does have some xroads. All makor towns have bypasses... all in all a pleasant drive. Frequently the E side of Blue Ridge has different Wx than the W side.
You then take I74 E to I95 near NC - SC line at Lumberton NC.
We are considering a late February or early March trip...... if my dear wife retires. She is leaning that way, but who knows.

Do you take 15 south in Pennsylvania to get to 81 or do you head east to Binghamton and 81 south?

If we make the trip it will be our first trip south with our motorhome. We've driven our car down but this is different.
Old 01-29-2018, 08:27 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by WNYtraveler View Post
We are considering a late February or early March trip...... if my dear wife retires. She is leaning that way, but who knows.

Do you take 15 south in Pennsylvania to get to 81 or do you head east to Binghamton and 81 south?

If we make the trip it will be our first trip south with our motorhome. We've driven our car down but this is different.
We take 15 \ I99 S to Williamsport
Stay on I 180 to rt11 across the river back to 15S
The rt22 across the river to I81S

Most of that is good roads w short sections of 2 lane or cross traffic.
We have done it many times and it's the best option of many.
Winemaker2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2018, 08:51 AM   #6

Thanks.... that's the route we used with the car but just wanted to hear it from someone with a motorhome. I think we are going to spend a couple of days in the Raleigh area to visit extended family.

Since I posted my first question to you, we received some more information that makes the possibility of the trip greater.

Safe travels!