Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-28-2020, 04:43 PM   #1

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Route to Florida from Michigan this week

How is the I77 route to Fl compared to I75? Is it more mountains or what?
denk is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-28-2020, 05:20 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Yep a lot more mountains, with some being steeper. Its manly WV and the toll road were you will see the steep ones. Overall I think you would see more mountains and $20-30 in tolls. At the southern end of 77 you would be on the I 95 race track.

For us it's about the same distance to see DD and GK's in Punta Gorta from central Ohio. Going i75 or i77. So we mix it up . We go one way down and come back the other. The campground along GA and SC cost and through nc and va are great. We also like the campgrounds in GA and TN, but the mountains and tolls in in WV suck, but Alanta is no picnic
ArtJoyce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2020, 05:24 PM   #3
NXR

Quote:
Originally Posted by denk View Post
Yes, in West Virginia especially, and twisty and turny as well. The two pics are from RV Trip Wizard.

The one with the single peak is the route from NE Ohio using I-75 to SW Florida. That's Jellico, TN just as you come into TN. It's not too bad. We just park ourselves in the right lane and follow a slow semi up and down. We use Tow/Haul mode with downshifting instead of brakes going down. It's not difficult at all. 2,000 feet versus 3,000 feet on I-77.

I then copied the trip and took out the first few stops to make the trip route on I-77 instead.

Ray
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	I-75.PNG
Views:	65
Size:	35.9 KB
ID:	306311   Click image for larger version

Name:	I-77.PNG
Views:	59
Size:	33.1 KB
ID:	306312  

Old 10-28-2020, 05:34 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
PS: After you drive i77 the WV turnpike section you will not think I75 is that bad.

Steeper grades, lanes are more narrow (6-12"), plus sharper turns. Long sections in the middle of nowhere will drop the speed limit from 70 to 65,60,55 to accommodate the sharper turns. There are several truck tipping over caution signs. Also, the mountains along both sides of the WV turnpike seems to create it own weather. I have seen lots of rain and snow on that turnpike, when I dont see it north or south of the turnpike.
ArtJoyce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2020, 04:48 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by denk View Post
If you don't like mountains, take 31 south to 65, then follow that down to Montgomery, AL and then start heading for Dothan. Then head South on 1/19/231 to I-10 and head east on 10. This route takes you west of the mountains and is a nice journey.
'08 Jeep GC Overland.
RKins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2020, 05:13 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by RKins View Post
If you don't like mountains, take 31 south to 65, then follow that down to Montgomery, AL and then start heading for Dothan. Then head South on 1/19/231 to I-10 and head east on 10. This route takes you west of the mountains and is a nice journey.

a little farther but you miss atlanta and it is good drive. if you drop off on 27 alt at tallahasa that will take you to ocala. you start out on27 then 27 alt splits off and runs with 19 , mostly 4 lane a few towns, go that way all the time.
inbogie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2020, 06:36 AM   #7

Rexhall Owners Group
Another option is I75 south to US 35 east to US23 south( use OH 835 around Portsmouth OH then US 52 to Ashland KY to reconnect with US 23). US23 becomes I26 in TN, Then I95 south. Falls between I75 and I77 in terms of mountain grades, but avoids Cincy construction, Chattanooga and Atlanta. Very little traffic on 35 or 23. If you prefer non interstate travel it is a good option. We have used all three from Dayton OH and prefer the non interstate option.
Old 10-29-2020, 07:12 AM   #8

Thanks for all your comments, our son is on his way today.
denk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2020, 04:44 PM   #9

If he should travel I-77 south, there is a nice little camp ground at Adel Ga we stayed at last week.

Cecil Bay RV Campground. 229-794-1484 Right at the top of exit ramp. Very nice laundry, Nice showers and nice pull through lots. VERY reasonable price.

We were attending the races near by and needed to do laundry and drop holding tanks and refill fresh water. Nice quite place and easy to get along with.

Approx 1 hour north of the Florida state line.
dfuelman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2020, 10:23 PM   #10

From Indianapolis to Ft. Myers drive I 65 to Montgomery AL, then US 231 to I 10E to I 75. That is only 67 miles longer than going over to I 75S in KY, and totally misses the mountains.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2020, 08:17 AM   #11

Agree with RKins. At Montgomery, AL consider heading east to Columbus, Georgia and then over to Perry, Georgia( at I-75). Closest I-65 and I-75 come together. Avoids Chattanooga, Atlanta and Macon....

Tags
florida, route