Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-21-2023, 06:22 PM   #1

Route to Medina Lake RV Park - San Antonio TX - Trip Wizard says don't take 211

2008 Tiffin Phaeton 40' Motorhome DP pulling Equinox
I'll be traveling from Pharr TX to Thousand Trails Medina Lake RV park NW of San Antonio in a week.
I talked to the park and they said take 211 from 90 however trip wizard wont let me take 211 even if I turn off RV routing, trip wizard wants me to take 471 instead. Trip wizard doesn't show any hazards on 211.
I tried planned routing on the Garmin 890 and it wouldn't let me take 471 or 211.
I looked at 211 on google earth pedestrian view and there are beaucoup semis using 211 heavily. It looks better than 471.
what I understood from the park was from San Antonio take 90 => 211 => 1283 => p37 => 8th street => Florida Ave => Spettle Rd (I always triple check what people tell me)
Does anyone know the best route for a big rig to Medina Lk Rv Park from San Antonio TX?
swduns is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-21-2023, 08:12 PM   #2

Route to Medina Lake RV Park - San Antonio TX - Trip Wizard says don't take 211

Quote:
Originally Posted by swduns View Post
2008 Tiffin Phaeton 40' Motorhome DP pulling Equinox

I'll be traveling from Pharr TX to Thousand Trails Medina Lake RV park NW of San Antonio in a week.

I talked to the park and they said take 211 from 90 however trip wizard wont let me take 211 even if I turn off RV routing, trip wizard wants me to take 471 instead. Trip wizard doesn't show any hazards on 211.

I tried planned routing on the Garmin 890 and it wouldn't let me take 471 or 211.

I looked at 211 on google earth pedestrian view and there are beaucoup semis using 211 heavily. It looks better than 471.

what I understood from the park was from San Antonio take 90 => 211 => 1283 => p37 => 8th street => Florida Ave => Spettle Rd (I always triple check what people tell me)

Does anyone know the best route for a big rig to Medina Lk Rv Park from San Antonio TX?
I can’t think of any roads over in that area that aren’t big rig friendly, except when you get close to the lake, at that point follow the directions they gave you.
Rob_M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2023, 06:55 AM   #3
Community Moderator

In San Antonio, 471 is Culebra Road. At the intersection of The 1604 and Culebra (471) is a HEB grocery. Get off there and make a left on Culebra. Sometimes the traffic in that area can be high.
Follow 471 out to the split, stay right it is now 1283. It is a little hilly in thru there, but people still drive 70mph+. Take your time.

Take 1283 to a "Y", you will see an old restaurant on the corner, I think the name was "Dancing Bear".

Go right and take that to the stop sign of 1283 Park Rd 37. Tight left turn, especially with somebody pulling up to the stop sign on PR 37.
Hang a left, then follow the PR 37. Now, following PR 37 you will come to a curve, and sometimes at that point some GPS says go straight, don't do it. That is the back way to the park.

Go around the curve and go to about 3/4 to 1 mile past that and hang a right.
It is the road to the landfill. Go down the road 1 mile, hand right at stop sign. Go up about 1/2-mile hang left, that is Spettle Road.

Pull in to the large parking lot on the left at the office.

A couple of things:
If you need fuel get it on the way up. If not coming up 1283 there is a station on the way.
The HEB I mentioned is where you will go to get groceries, closest place, about 40 miles from the campground.

When you check in and set-up, come and find us. We are going to Medina Lakes today from Columbus, the Colorado River Thousand Trails Park, off of I-10. Plus we are going to that HEB tomorrow for re-stock run.
2017 Ram 3500 w/Aisin w/4:10
2 Dachshunds DJ (RIP 9-12-19) & Joey (RIP 5-14-21)
hamm2018 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2023, 12:02 PM   #4

I found that 211 was being built as Texas Research park drive
211 was being built in phases and a middle phase was stalled for many years
The Texas Research park failed which minimized incentive to finish the road
San Antonio has a beltway 410, then an outer beltway of 1604
211 apparently began developing into an additional western beltway which later drove the incentive to finish it
According to the web site the remaining portion opened in NOV 2022 ... so late last year.
While google maps now shows it complete, that explains why Trip Wizard or Garmin wouldn't let me take that route ... even in a car.

https://www.texashighwayman.com/sh211.shtml
swduns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2023, 03:54 PM   #5
Community Moderator

We went to the HEB today. On 471 for about 1/2 mile was some construction to the intersection of 211 & 471. The intersection of 211 & 471 is the gas station & truck stop, today price was $3.34/gal. If you need fuel, get it there, no place around us out here.
Culebra was just as busy as what we remembered from last year.
2017 Ram 3500 w/Aisin w/4:10
2 Dachshunds DJ (RIP 9-12-19) & Joey (RIP 5-14-21)
hamm2018 is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
route, rv park, trip wizard