Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-15-2022, 03:07 PM   #1

Route to North Ga

Hi,
I will be traveling from Ft Valley Ga stopping at Helen to stay at Uncoi State Park. From there I will be going to Jackrabbit Mountain in Hayesville, NC and on to Mountain View in Hiawassee, Ga. I heard the road from Helen north to Hiawassee is a horrible winding road and everybody seems to be avoiding GA17. Can someone recommend an alternate or a better route. Thank you in advance. I'm traveling in a 36 ft DP pulling a Ford Explorer toad. Robert
Rob729 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-16-2022, 05:38 AM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I have faced that concern several times. The grind over to Hiawassee from Helen on 17/75 was a bit to tough on our rig. Its one thing to do it in a car, and something else in a 40' motorhome towing . I suspect your DP would pull it better than my gasser, but anyway you cut it - its a grind and very curvey with steep grades up and down. Unfortunately, to get to Hayesville from Helen one has to get over the mountain somehow, I found US 19 west of there to be about as bad. I'd probably go ahead and do it on 17/75 and just tough it out.
Americanrascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2022, 08:56 AM   #3

Thank you Joe,
I was trying to avoid a tight situation. Last year I took SR 64 from Blairsville, Ga to Lake Toxaway NC and had an issue going through the narrow roads. I was hoping for an alternative even if I drove out of my way. I will just grin and bear it.
Rob729 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2022, 09:27 AM   #4
doc

Appalachian Campers
There is really no easy way from Helen to Hiawassee that does not involve sharp curves and steep narrow lanes. We have done that route in a couple of motorhomes and it was a strain to not cross the center line. We live just down the road and unless you have reservations or some other "must stay at Unicoi" reasons, it is pretty easy to make a day trip to Helen from Hiawassee or Cleveland.
Easiest, but still a pull is hiway 76 from Clayton over to Hiawassee. Couple of really nice Campgrounds in Hiawassee and a couple in Clayton/Dillard area.
US 129 from Cleveland is definite 'do not do' .
doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2022, 03:25 AM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
A longer way but traffic

An alternative, but longer- is to head back down I- 985 to either GA 20 or I-285 and head west to use I-575 up the west side of the mountains to get to your destination. Yes there is more traffic, and yes its longer- but its a less grinding ride up 575 or the other mountain roads.
Americanrascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2022, 04:25 AM   #6

Trip to North Georgia

I would not hesitate to drive our 36 foot diesel pusher with a Equinox in tow from Helen, Georgia to Hiawassee, Georgia. I would take GA 17/75 and US 76 right into Hiawassee. I don't think this route will be a problem.
Old 09-18-2022, 12:58 PM   #7

We mistakenly went through Helen on our way to Hiawassee and the winding roads are doable but I would not do them again. The roads are not only winding but steep as well. Took my 37' DP with F150 toad. We now take 23 up to Clayton then 76 east into Hiawassee (From Augusta). 76 is slow but a very easy drive.
boomersooner is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
route