Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-18-2020, 03:29 PM   #1

Routes

I have a 41' motorhome that I also flat tow a jeep Cherokee. Does anyone know the ability to use US 89 & 89A as a good road from Tucson AZ to Moab. UT
johnace135 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-18-2020, 04:03 PM   #2

I would not recommend 89A going north past Prescott Valley in a rig like yours. Could be more adventure than what you are looking for. There are some mountain passes with narrow roads especially up through Oak Canyon north of Sedona. The highway also goes through the old mining town of Jerome on city streets that are very narrow, twisty and steep.
If you had your mind set on going that way, I would separate your toad before Jerome and Oak Creek Canyon. It will still be exciting and you won`t get to look around at the scenery much. BTW, Jerome is a great place to spend a little time. Take your toad and make it day trip.
You can use Google maps and zoom in to street level and see for yourself.
Vintage Iron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2020, 05:22 PM   #3

89 begins at Wickenburg, AZ, not Tucson. I wouldn't advise 89 beyond Kirkland Jct. AZ. At Kirkland Jct. take 15/10 to Prescott (Skull Valley) and then continue on 89 to I-40. You definitely want to avoid 89A to Jerome and 89A between Sedona & Flagstaff.

From Flagstaff 89 is good until I-70 in Utah. Then I-70 east to 191/Moab.

However, for a better, more scenic route take 89 to UT12 taking you to Bryce Nat'l Park and on to Capitol Reef Nat'l Park at Torrey. Then take 24 to I-70 and a short jaunt to 191/Moab.

Or... more scenic.... from Torrey take 95 to Blanding and north on 191 to Moab.
twogypsies is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2020, 06:13 PM   #4

There may be some confusion here because US89, US89A, AZ89, and AZ89A are not very far from each other. To further confuse the issue, the locations of these highways has changed over the years. I used to live in Wickenburg. AZ89A is not a good road for large vehicles. I’m not sure what the current rules are, but there used to be length limitations.

Tags
route