Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-21-2011, 01:10 PM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Routing Advice: FL to NS

Hello all,

Looking for routing advice for a planned summer trip. We are traveling from North Central Florida to Northern Nova Scotia (Baddeck) where we will join a caravan to Newfoundland and Labrador. I want to avoid the large metro areas on the east coast and make a stop for a few days at the Mt. Washington, NH area. Otherwise, the shortest, time wise, route is preferred.

Using Delorme Street Atlas, I have the following: I-10 to I-95, to I-26 to Columbia SC, I-77 to I-81 to Binghamton NY, I-88 to near Albany NY, state roads 7, 11, 131 to I-91 to US 302, thence to NH SR 115, 2 & 16 to Mt. Washington area. Thereafter, US 2 to I-95 to Bangor ME and the Canadian border, PH 2 to PH 104 to PH 105 to Baddeck NS.

I am concerned with the New York state roads 7, 11 & 131 on the route. I learned the hard way to review routes done by computers or GPS by getting on some roads unfit for motor homes! Also, my navigator DW has put us on some awful shortcuts. (Don't mention I said that)

So, any suggestions will be appreciated.

JT
RV'nOldTimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-22-2011, 09:41 PM   #2

Nor'easters Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Workhorse Chassis Owner
There must be some NY web site that lists roads that do not allow RV's and trucks - the Palisades, for example, doesn't.

Be aware also - the gas prices are higher! And there's always the construction!

We got the fastpass, which works through New York, New England, and the Ohio/Illinois areas, and was great.
Purplefans & Harvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 09:50 PM   #3
KIX

About 4 kilometers before you get into Baddeck the Bras 'd Or Lake CG will be on your right. It's a decent CG.....Three are two distinct sections.....make sure you get a site on the section closer to the "lake" rather than up the hill towards the highway. The upper section can be very muddy at times. I worked there.

Also, if you have time in Baddeck go to the Alexander Graham Bell museum......lots more than you will be expecting
KIX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 05:17 AM   #4

JT,

Something is fishy with that route you posted. How are you getting from NY to NH, VT or maybe MA stands in the why. VT is not an easy state to cut across, very limited options for larger rigs. I would consider either staying on I-81 up into the 1,000 Islands region of NYS then over to Burlington, VT where you can pickup US-2 and follow it to Bangor, ME. This will take you through some wonderful old New England villages and towns. But do not expect to make good time on it.

A second option is I-81 to I-84 to I-90 and then north into NH from MA.

A nice little stop on your way north is Mount Airy, NC at the Mayberry CG. It is about 6 miles east of I-77 and just south of the VA / NC border. We just pulled in yesterday for a couple of nights. We just left Charleston, SC yesterday on I-26 and have driven the southern portion of your route.

Happy travels,
Bob
Old 04-23-2011, 05:27 AM   #5

JT,

I should have looked closer, I see you are crossing VT on 9. Here is a site:

America's Independent Truckers' Association, Inc., A Trucking Association serving Owner Operators and Independent Truckers

That has info on low bridge clearances. Something you need to watch out for in that area. I have not used that route, but you might want to consider the I-90 option into MA and then north.

Bob
Old 04-23-2011, 07:06 AM   #6
GG1

Winnebago Owners Club
In South Carolina take I-26 northwest to I-77 north through North Carolina & Va,to I-81 northest through Pa to I-88 in NY State east to I-87 north (new york thruway) to rt 4 east to Rutland Vermont to VT 7 north in the center of Rutland go right on VT 4 east across the state through Woodstock to I-89 south for a few miles to I-91 north to VT-2 east into New Hampshire this will take you through the Mt Washington region stay on rt 2 to I-95 north into Maine to Bangor then 9 east to Bangor to Calaise Maine cross into Canada you can take a coastal route to get access to Nova Scotia (very scenic) or a more northern route just keep heading east to Moncton. I have traveled the route from Pa NY VT & NH to Maine many times there is no problem with a large rig stay on the state and interstate roads, give yourself enough time once you get off the interstates you have to slow down, if you want to explore the back roads use your toad or tow vehicle BRING YOUR CAMERA!!! Good luck
Old 04-23-2011, 01:10 PM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Purplefans & Harvey View Post
There must be some NY web site that lists roads that do not allow RV's and trucks - the Palisades, for example, doesn't.

Be aware also - the gas prices are higher! And there's always the construction!

We got the fastpass, which works through New York, New England, and the Ohio/Illinois areas, and was great.
Yep, I see the fuel prices are extra high in NY. Plan accordingly! South Carolina looks lowest but I can't carry enough.

I instructed Delorme SA to avoid toll roads but that adds considerable mileage.

Thanks for the advice.

JT
Old 04-23-2011, 01:36 PM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by KIX View Post
About 4 kilometers before you get into Baddeck the Bras 'd Or Lake CG will be on your right. It's a decent CG.....Three are two distinct sections.....make sure you get a site on the section closer to the "lake" rather than up the hill towards the highway. The upper section can be very muddy at times. I worked there.

Also, if you have time in Baddeck go to the Alexander Graham Bell museum......lots more than you will be expecting
A G Bell Museum is on our schedule. I'll have to look to see which campground our caravan has chosen since I'm sure we will need to meet them there. Thanks.

JT
Old 04-23-2011, 01:44 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
JT, Once you get over the border this information will help.
The area of three provinces are close enough to make in a day trip between them but there is lots to see in each one.
Safe travels and have a great time.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 02:01 PM   #10

You could also avoid the metro areas of Baltimore, Washington DC, etc. by cutting over to Norfolk and taking the bridge across into MD/DE and travel north that route.
User1011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 03:02 PM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by GG1 View Post
In South Carolina take I-26 northwest to I-77 north through North Carolina & Va,to I-81 northest through Pa to I-88 in NY State east to I-87 north (new york thruway) to rt 4 east to Rutland Vermont to VT 7 north in the center of Rutland go right on VT 4 east across the state through Woodstock to I-89 south for a few miles to I-91 north to VT-2 east into New Hampshire this will take you through the Mt Washington region stay on rt 2 to I-95 north into Maine to Bangor then 9 east to Bangor to Calaise Maine cross into Canada you can take a coastal route to get access to Nova Scotia (very scenic) or a more northern route just keep heading east to Moncton. I have traveled the route from Pa NY VT & NH to Maine many times there is no problem with a large rig stay on the state and interstate roads, give yourself enough time once you get off the interstates you have to slow down, if you want to explore the back roads use your toad or tow vehicle BRING YOUR CAMERA!!! Good luck
Thanks. Following your plan I have cut out the small roads I asked about and put in US 2 for a greater distance. Otherwise, you and Delorme agree, but US 2 looks like an improvement.

I'll study the Canadian coastal vs the northern route according to the time left when we reach that area. Thanks again.

JT
Old 04-23-2011, 03:04 PM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Fun View Post
You could also avoid the metro areas of Baltimore, Washington DC, etc. by cutting over to Norfolk and taking the bridge across into MD/DE and travel north that route.
Thanks. I'll have a look at that possibility.

JT
Old 04-23-2011, 03:21 PM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 007";838285]JT, Once you get over the [B][URL="http://www.irv2.com/forums/f76/canada-trip-july-2008-n-s-and-p-e-i-19926.html
border this information[/URL][/B] will help.
The area of three provinces are close enough to make in a day trip between them but there is lots to see in each one.
Safe travels and have a great time.
Thanks, 007. We have visited NB, PEI and NS several times but have never been to Newfoundland/Labrador. Yes, those are places of interest and we'll do some of them, especially as returning, but our main thrust this go round is NFLD-LAB. We will have RV'ed all Canadian provinces (not all territories), the 49 contiguous US states and about half the Mexican states plus Belize (no plans to add to the Mex total any time soon!) after this trip. I appreciate your help.

JT
Old 05-03-2011, 05:34 PM   #14

I'd avoid the I-26 and I-77 route to get onto I-81 due to long grades. Instead I'd take I-95 to Rt. 17 in Fredricksburg, Va. to I-66 over to I-81 near Front Royal, Va. I've traveled both routes (snowbird in SW Florida) for 7 yrs.
FogNobber is offline   Reply With Quote