Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-20-2020, 02:36 PM   #1

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Rt 34, Trail ridge road Colorado, hard drive?

Hi
We are going to be driving through Colorado in late July Early August and we like the look of the Trail Ridge road through Rocky Mountain National Park. We have a 33' 2008 diesel pusher and an adventurous driver. . Has anyone else taken an RV through?
33' 2008 National Tropical on a Freightliner chassis.We tow a 2001 XJ (Cherokee) RVM#189
Kahoona is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-20-2020, 03:12 PM   #2

Yes we have with our 40' MH a few times. It's steep up and down. If you're comfortable with that it's doable. If crossing we tried to get an early start before the 'tourists' came out.

From the 'Mountain Directory for Truckers and RVers':

Eastbound descent in 11 mi. of 6-7% with 15/20 mph curves then rolling hills then 5-6% for 3 miles.

Westbound descent: 1.5 mi with 6-7% & 15/20 mph curves. Then 1.5 mi of 5-6%; then 12.5 miles at 6% with many curves and 15mph hairpin turns.

It's slow going and everyone will be driving slow... hopefully. If you're staying in the park or nearby, take your vehicle first and see how you like it.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2020, 03:24 PM   #3

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by twogypsies View Post
Yes we have with our 40' MH a few times. It's steep up and down. If you're comfortable with that it's doable. If crossing we tried to get an early start before the 'tourists' came out.

Eastbound descent in 11 mi. of 6-7% with 15/20 mph curves then rolling hills then 5-6% for 3 miles.

Westbound descent: 1.5 mi with 6-7% & 15/20 mph curves. Then 1.5 mi of 5-6%; then 12.5 miles at 6% with many curves and 15mph hairpin turns.

It's slow going and everyone will be driving slow... hopefully. If you're staying in the park or nearby, take your vehicle first and see how you like it.
Attached Images

33' 2008 National Tropical on a Freightliner chassis.We tow a 2001 XJ (Cherokee) RVM#189
Old 07-20-2020, 05:19 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Rt 34, Trail ridge road Colorado, hard drive?

We drove from west to east on it. I enjoyed the drive. Don’t plan on stopping at many if any pull outs. 41 ft DP with Buick Enclave toad
iowaone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2020, 06:17 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by twogypsies View Post

Hard to argue with any of that - good road biggest issue is the driver will miss most of it as the drive requires extreme concentration! It is a Beautiful drive to be enjoyed latter in the toad (JMHO) Sorry but the mountain drives in the RV require your utmost attention and the more enjoyable drive to enjoy some of the scenery in the toad is something I’ll often suggest.

Have just spent the last two weeks doing many of the passes in Colorado and all I can say is I sure Love Rocks.

Enjoy the Drive it is worth the effort,
Busskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2020, 08:40 PM   #6

Outdoors RV Owners Club
As of now you need to make reservations to enter the park or they will turn you around. You can do it online, but who knows, it may change.
Old 07-24-2020, 07:06 AM   #7

You will need a "timed entry permit" to go thru RMNP. Go to the website.
richf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2020, 07:27 PM   #8

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by richf View Post
You will need a "timed entry permit" to go thru RMNP. Go to the website.
Even to drive through we need to know the date and approximate time and get the reservation pretty far in advance. Glad you told me. Probably next year then.
Old 07-26-2020, 01:09 PM   #9

Ford Super Duty Owner
Grand Design Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Busskipper View Post
Hard to argue with any of that - good road biggest issue is the driver will miss most of it as the drive requires extreme concentration! It is a Beautiful drive to be enjoyed latter in the toad (JMHO) Sorry but the mountain drives in the RV require your utmost attention and the more enjoyable drive to enjoy some of the scenery in the toad is something I’ll often suggest.

Have just spent the last two weeks doing many of the passes in Colorado and all I can say is I sure Love Rocks.

Enjoy the Drive it is worth the effort,
I agree with Busskipper...... Driving a big rig (or even a smaller one) requires constant driver attention thus reducing the chance of enjoying the drive and the views. And pulling off at a lot of stops is mostly not convenient - or even possible at some spots.

I had the same choice last summer - whether to traverse through the park or take a different route from Estees to my next stop. We chose to drive around with the rig but did do a few day trips into the park in the truck.

If you want adventure, drive up to the Alpine Visitor Center via Old Fall River Road then back down on pavement stopping as often as you like.
Old 07-27-2020, 06:46 PM   #10

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by traveldawg View Post
I agree with Busskipper...... Driving a big rig (or even a smaller one) requires constant driver attention thus reducing the chance of enjoying the drive and the views. And pulling off at a lot of stops is mostly not convenient - or even possible at some spots.

I had the same choice last summer - whether to traverse through the park or take a different route from Estees to my next stop. We chose to drive around with the rig but did do a few day trips into the park in the truck.

If you want adventure, drive up to the Alpine Visitor Center via Old Fall River Road then back down on pavement stopping as often as you like.

I do agree. We are passing through one way only. The visitor center sounds like a good idea but the park is appointment only with permits required even to drive through and booking a month ahead. Loveland Pass sounds like it will be good though and we will probably stop at Pikes Peak and drive the toad up there.
Old 07-27-2020, 10:59 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kahoona View Post
.... we will probably stop at Pikes Peak and drive the toad up there.
Driving yourself would be fine but the cog railroad is closed until next year.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2020, 09:46 PM   #12

Quote:
I do agree. We are passing through one way only. The visitor center sounds like a good idea but the park is appointment only with permits required even to drive through and booking a month ahead. Loveland Pass sounds like it will be good though and we will probably stop at Pikes Peak and drive the toad up there.
Hi there....if you are going to Pikes Peak, check their website or call first. I "think" I've heard that due to the construction of a new visitors center on top that they are shuttle busing people to the top only. If that's the case, you may not need to unhook your toad there. One of the diesel pusher youtube channels, LivingRVision, just went through there a couple of weeks ago and had to take the shuttle to the top.

Safe travels and enjoy. Drop me a line if you come to the Ouray, CO area.
campingalan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2020, 05:57 PM   #13

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by campingalan View Post
Hi there....if you are going to Pikes Peak, check their website or call first. I "think" I've heard that due to the construction of a new visitors center on top that they are shuttle busing people to the top only. If that's the case, you may not need to unhook your toad there. One of the diesel pusher youtube channels, LivingRVision, just went through there a couple of weeks ago and had to take the shuttle to the top.

Safe travels and enjoy. Drop me a line if you come to the Ouray, CO area.
Interesting. I knew about the shuttle for the last three miles. I am not thrilled about getting in a shuttle of infected tourists so I figure to hike the last three. I am good with altitude and hiking so no problem. Interesting that they did get to take a pusher up to the shuttle station. I was told I wouldn't be able to drive mine. Either way I want to take our '96 Tracker up to see if it can do it.

We are in Bakerville right at the East end of the tunnels. We are camped by the old logging camp area to do some hiking. The Freightliner made it up 70 fine except for the up to 6" deep ruts in the pavement that tossed it around.hey have to fix that!
I soent a lot of time in Montros and have been to Ouray a few times.
Old 07-29-2020, 10:32 PM   #14

Quote:
Interesting. I knew about the shuttle for the last three miles. I am not thrilled about getting in a shuttle of infected tourists so I figure to hike the last three. I am good with altitude and hiking so no problem. Interesting that they did get to take a pusher up to the shuttle station. I was told I wouldn't be able to drive mine. Either way I want to take our '96 Tracker up to see if it can do it.

We are in Bakerville right at the East end of the tunnels. We are camped by the old logging camp area to do some hiking. The Freightliner made it up 70 fine except for the up to 6" deep ruts in the pavement that tossed it around.hey have to fix that!
I soent a lot of time in Montros and have been to Ouray a few times.
For sure; I don't blame you. I'd hike too.

You know...now that I think of it, that may have been their off day and they did drive around and up in their toad. My son lives over in Colorado Springs; I need to get over there to say hi at some point.

Ok...very cool! I hope you have some good hikes up there. We're going to go over to the Sand Dunes next Tuesday to Thursday.

Send me a p.m. if you are coming to Ouray; you'd be welcome to park in our secondary drive way. The views are killer from there and the Cascade Falls flows about 30 ft behind the driveway in the flume.
campingalan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
colorado