Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-04-2018, 01:45 PM   #1

Rt 89 in Nevada

Looking to see if anyone has thoughts on rt 89 through Nevada. I'm heading from Texas along I40/Rt 66 through Albuquerque to Sedona then to Kingman and Las Vegas. On the map I'd like to do I15 out of Vegas to Rt 89 to make a circle back to Flagstaff to reduce the amount of travel back on I40. Someone has told me they vaguely remember 89 may not be the greatest route for a 40' RV w trailer. My alternate would be I15 all the way up to I70 then over and down somewhere but that may add to much time to the trip. Heading out end of May if that makes a difference

Txs
lefield is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-04-2018, 04:18 PM   #2

I didn't find 89 in Nevada. 89 exits I-70 near Joseph Utah and last time I did that road it was good to Kanab, Page and Flag. I travel in a 40'MH w/toad.

I use Mountain Directory West http://www.mountaindirectory.com/ when traveling in the Mountains. It gives the grade and grade distance on most well traveled highways in the west. It does not do Interstates.
Old 02-04-2018, 10:26 PM   #3

There's no 89 is in Nevada from Las Vegas. You may be thinking of Alt 89 around Sedona. That I would not recommend between I-40 and Sedona. Take I-17 from Flagstaff to Sedona.

Once you get finished with Las Vegas if you don't want to backtrack on I-40 east then you might consider I-15 to Hurricane, Utah and stay in Hurricane or Springdale to visit Zion National Park or in the park itself at Watchman campground (electric). To exit your visit instead of the tunnel route to the east, backtrack a little to Hurricane again and pick up UT59 which becomes AZ389 taking you to Fredonia, AZ. From there you could even visit the North Rim of the Grand Canyon if you're there after opening May 15.

There are other national parks in southern Utah if you want to explore them. If you want to continue home, from Fredonia take either 89 or 89A back to Flagstaff and I-40 east.

Or... you could explore some of New Mexico before dropping down to I-40 again. There's Monument Valley, Canyon De Chelly Nat'l Monument still in Arizona. In New Mexico take 160 across toward Bloomfield then to Chama then south on 84 to Santa Fe and on to I-40 east.

Lots of options. Have a great trip!
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2018, 01:46 PM   #4

Txs. My original intent was to go up a little from vegas then across the top of the canyon on this trip. That would involve 89 but had been warned not to take it.
lefield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2018, 08:48 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by lefield View Post
Txs. My original intent was to go up a little from vegas then across the top of the canyon on this trip. That would involve 89 but had been warned not to take it.
I-15 exit 16 > hwys 9, 59,389 are fine. Alt 89 is steep with mountain curves. 389 to 89 at Kanab may be a better choice. Check Mountain Directory (link above) for road grades in this area.

Alt 89 is more likely to have snow in winter because of the higher elevation

FYI The Wave (tourist attraction) lottery for day pass is in Kanab and the hike is off hwy 89 East of Kanab.
Old 02-06-2018, 11:41 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
All of US89 (not US89 alt) in Utah will be fine. Stay on US89 and visit Lake Powell. There is a great RV park at Wahweap Marina.
Dennis_K is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ada