RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-28-2020, 02:30 PM   #1

RV GPS Garmin 770

Our old Garmin Nuvi 2555 started beeping constantly—driving us crazy so we are looking for a new RV GPS. You know, One with overheight, weight restriction warnings and campgrounds on it.
We like the Garmin RV770 so far and was wondering if there was a feature on it that would allow us to search for dump stations on the route or in the area?
Any other similar sized ones that can be recommended?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-28-2020, 10:22 PM   #2
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
I have the Garmin 770. It can find a lot of things for you. I can't say specifically dump stations, but it can find campgrounds and truck stops. You should be able to find a dump station at either of those.
Old 10-28-2020, 11:07 PM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I have a Garmin 770 and there is not a category for dump sites. However you can go the POI Factory where you can do a search for RV Dump and find a couple of Custom POI files that you can download (registration is required but is free) to your computer.

Download and install the Garmin POI Loader program to load one or both of the files you downloaded onto your Garmin GPS device.

When you select 'Where To' on your device you will see a folder named Custom POIs which will contain all of the dump locations. You can search the database by city and state to find the closest one to you.
BobGed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2020, 11:31 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobGed View Post
I have a Garmin 770 and there is not a category for dump sites. However you can go the POI Factory where you can do a search for RV Dump and find a couple of Custom POI files that you can download (registration is required but is free) to your computer.

Download and install the Garmin POI Loader program to load one or both of the files you downloaded onto your Garmin GPS device.

When you select 'Where To' on your device you will see a folder named Custom POIs which will contain all of the dump locations. You can search the database by city and state to find the closest one to you.
Thanks for the replies. The reason I asked about the dump stations is that I was watching a youtube video and they happened to be reviewing the Garmin GPS that looks like a small iPad (RV960? Is it) and it showed a dump station locator and thought RV 770 may have it too but the owner’s manual didnt show it.
Old 10-28-2020, 11:54 PM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by expo View Post
Thanks for the replies. The reason I asked about the dump stations is that I was watching a youtube video and they happened to be reviewing the Garmin GPS that looks like a small iPad (RV960? Is it) and it showed a dump station locator and thought RV 770 may have it too but the owner’s manual didnt show it.
I stand corrected, the RV770 does have a Dump Station locator, but the problem is it includes RV parks. The Custom POI files from POI Factory do not include RV parks.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	RV770 dump stations.png
Views:	5
Size:	166.2 KB
ID:	306328  
BobGed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2020, 08:00 PM   #6

I've been using the 770 for 3 years and love it. However, I use Sanidumps to find dump stations. Once I find ones that work, I save them as waypoints in the 770. For example, I have one coming east in the West Virginia rest area on I79S I hit before I get home. If coming from the south, I hit the Maryland rest area on I95N.

While traveling, we will stay at an RV park so we can dump.
Old 11-07-2020, 05:23 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobGed View Post

Great Information, Thanks!!

Don't the closest POIs show up in order from your current location on the 770?

Tags
gps