RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-20-2020, 04:01 PM   #1

RV route

We are leaving for zepherhil Florida and would like to know what is the best route to take from sarnia Ontario. We do understand that we maybe having to pass by Atlanta.
This will be our first trip since we are green horns to the rv world.
What advice do we need and as mutch help as possible.

Rv ers is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-20-2020, 04:14 PM   #2

Follow your map directions. I would not worry about Atlanta, and would stay on I75 right through town. We have gone straight through on I75 and I85 both directions with no issues. The time of day is the most important consideration. Between 10:00 and 2:00 will work best. Just be through town and gone before 2:00 on Friday. After 2:00 on Friday, bring a lunch and plenty of patience.

Old 01-20-2020, 04:57 PM   #3

Lots of threads about passing through Atlanta. I typically take US or state routes around Atlanta but sometimes I need to drive through on the expressways. My attitude is I have a refrigerator, beer, bathroom and 2 gigs of rock and roll mp3ís. I can easily handle an extra hour or so to get through Hotlanta if need be.
Old 01-20-2020, 05:13 PM   #4

Check Google for a traffic map before hitting the Hotlanta bypass just to make sure of what's ahead. Do count on at least one sometimes serious delay through GA.

Exit 201 in I-75 has a BBQ stand on the NW corner with truly awesome brisket. Plenty of room to park a rig.

If you have a gas rig prices vary by about 30 cents per gallon. Google and/or Gas buddy are your friend.

And welcome to Floriduh, eh?
SteveJ. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2020, 09:09 AM   #5
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Hi ! Welcome to IRV2! We're sure glad you joined the gang!

We try to avoid Atlanta like the plague! Hopefully you have a good GPS that will help you to stay in the proper lane. It's really tough to get moved over sometimes if you end up in the wrong lane. Hope the trip goes well for you!

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2020, 12:46 PM   #6

As for Atlanta we have been through many many many times before and after the GPS although easier with GPS( lane assist). I don't use the bypass, I just try and pick the best time of day and go straight through usually 10 am to 2 pm at the latest 3 during the day. You should have no problem if you use these times and follow your GPS it's not a big deal.To me it's easier than Nashville JMO. Safe travels.
mlh2013 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2020, 12:52 PM   #7

Country Coach Owners Club
Saturday or Sunday morning between 8:00 and 10:00. Piece of cake!! Speed limit or above.
2000 CC Magna #5840 2017 Chevrolet Equinox
Air Force One braking
Griffin379 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2020, 05:59 AM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I absolutely come down on the side of avoiding Atlanta. We were rear ended on the interstate there in wild traffic about 2 months ago in a 4 car pile up. I only go through there when we absolutely must.

Northbound we consistently get off I-75 at Tifton and take GA 520/US 82 northwest through Albany. At Dawson we continue on GA 520 to Ft Benning and Columbus, then Interstate 185 north to LaGrange, then US 27 north to Calhoun, then GA 53 from Rome to Calhoun and back on I-75.

All 4 lane , rural areas with no traffic, great speeds, nice stops and a beautiful relaxing drive great for RV's. Best part is NO ATLANTA MESS!

Actually considering the jams in Atlanta not much difference in time-- unless you find places to stop and enjoy along the way.
Americanrascal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2020, 11:36 AM   #9

When we came thru there in November the 285 around on the west side was bad. The road needs desperate repair. You would be going and all of sudden there were bad sections in the road. Traffic was not too bad, that depends on your level of bad. We came to a full stop about 4 times because of traffic merging together, like 20,85 junctions. Yes we went thru in early afternoon.

In the summer of 2018 we went to Stone Mountain coming up from Pensacola. We came in to the area from the west direction. At that time going around was busy, roads needed repair.
When we left from Stone Mountain to head back North we had to sit in traffic for about 2 hours due to a traffic accident. There was a fatal accident and with people looking it resulted in another accident, a bad one.

2017 Ram 3500 w/Aisin w/ 4:10 rearend
2016 E-Z-Go Golf Cart 2 Dachshunds DJ (Rainbow Bridge 9-12-2019) & Joey
hamm2018 is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
route