Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-22-2023, 07:00 AM   #1

RV route planner

Looking for recommendations on apps to consider for route planning. We are taking our first trip this weekend and want to avoid low bridge clearances etc.
Thanks in advance
sharkbite is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-22-2023, 11:48 AM   #2

Here's a listing of some...I didn't investigate any as I have a dash mounted Xgody GPS that has a truck/bus setting so I don't need one.

I would mention that a lot of these so called 'free' apps turn out to be anything but. Anyway, good luck...Apps for low clearance.

Visit my RV Travel & Repair Blog at : https://chaos.goblinbox.com
Jim_HiTek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2023, 06:06 PM   #3

What is your route?
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2023, 10:20 PM   #4

We will be taking various routes in the future and looking for a app
sharkbite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2023, 10:40 PM   #5

I use RV Life Trip Wizard, does a reasonable job but leaves a lot out about the routes it suggests. Never mentions anything about mountain passes or roads that seem unfit for a large RV.
Old 03-24-2023, 08:28 AM   #6
Community Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharkbite View Post
Looking for recommendations on apps to consider for route planning. We are taking our first trip this weekend and want to avoid low bridge clearances etc.
Thanks in advance
We use RV Trip Wizard for our planning. In the truck we have a RV GPS Garmin 770. You input your RV information and it does a good job routing you around low bridges, etc.... It also shows turn by turn direction and will show a pic of which lane to be in for a turn or exit.

So, I would recommend something like our Garmin
2017 Ram 3500 w/Aisin w/4:10
2 Dachshunds DJ (RIP 9-12-19) & Joey (RIP 5-14-21)
hamm2018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2023, 08:38 AM   #7

Grand Design Owners Club
Garmin 1090 here. I need the big screen and clear concise turn by turn navigation. I've also be able to make use of its other functions, such as traffic alerts, upcoming fuel stations and alternate routes.

Jungle Website =>

I've also heard good things about the TruckMap app.

BajaFog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2023, 09:28 AM   #8

I use RoadTrippers app on my desktop to plan a route, then I can transfer that to my phone and use their app on my phone as the guide. It shows all the various attractions along a chosen route with small icons or I can choose to show none. Costs me ~$20/year but it's been a few years so that could have been the introductory price, I forget. They do have a free version so I must have upgraded sometime. I've never had it guide me to a difficult place for an RV but none of them are perfect.

I tried the RV Trip Wizard but just didn't care for it. Went searching for an alternative and found Roadtrippers. Which I like much better.

Anyway, it looks good, works well. Check it out: RoadTrippers

Visit my RV Travel & Repair Blog at : https://chaos.goblinbox.com
Jim_HiTek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2023, 09:44 AM   #9

I use Goggle Maps and a recent paper atlas. Easy to envision route possibilities.

Most of my use is Interstate travel and for access to national, state parks and major points of interest in the continental US and Canada

I don't need or use turn by turn navigation until the last mile of the day and even then road signs usually point the way.
ChrisDParise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2023, 09:58 AM   #10

we use AllStays and have found IMO it is the most concise program I have for planning. They have an Apple app but not a Android app.
Old 03-24-2023, 03:42 PM   #11

In looking at your other posts it seems you have a 26' trailer and 150 truck. You're not going to have issues with roads, bridges, etc.

We traveled full-time across country & in mountains with our 40' motorhome & 33' 5th wheel. This was before all this GPS stuff. We used paper maps, planned our route as to where WE wanted to go and took off. We also used the 'Mountain Directory for Truckers & RVers' to give us a heads up description. We never encountered places we should not have been and we didn't do interstates. Many, many RVers do the same. Don't overthink this.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
route