Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-17-2014, 10:27 AM   #1

RVing across Central Oregon

Hello all I am undecided on which route to take from Oregon into idaho through the Tetans up to south entrance yellowstone. Any one have experience with HWY 20 across Oregon? Or should I just go up to Portland and get on I-84. My voyage begins in florence Oregon which is on the Coast straight west of Eugene. Looks like hwy 126 out of eugene to hwy 20 is most direct route, but I am not sure the roads out there we are driving a 35ft MH with a toad. Thanks

Kevin
whipskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-17-2014, 10:34 AM   #2

Two lane road-been on it several times.Nice drive to me,would not hesitate to go that way.
Old 04-17-2014, 11:02 AM   #3

Any of the highways you mentioned - 20, 84, 126 are excellent for RVers. From Florence (how's that newly renovated Heceta Head Lighthouse? We gave the tours there before it's new paint job.) I would recommend 126 to Sisters and into Bend - a beautiful river drive. A gradual uphill but not bad. Then you have two choices Hwy 20 to Caldwell/Boise area or Hwy 26, our favorite. 26 has a little more to see and 20 is pretty open country. On 26 is Clyde Holiday Rec. Site and a nice campground to explore John Day Fossil Beds Nat'l Monument. If you need a place to stay at Caldwell there is Ambassador RV which is extremely nice.

Then you could get of fI-84 a short distance and again, pick up Hwy 20 into Arco (Crater of the Moon Nat'l Mon. and into Idaho Falls. Pick up 26 to Alpine and 89 north to Jackson, through the Tetons and on to Yellowstone.

Just before Jackson, on the left, is a huge Smith's grocery, fuel, liquor, laundry all in one complex. Groceries are expensive in the little camp stores and also in West Yellowstone where there are only 2 very small mom & pop places. Alpine at Hwy 26 also has fuel and not as much congestion as the Smith's complex. if you have a big rig.

Have a great trip!
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 12:59 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by twogypsies View Post
Any of the highways you mentioned - 20, 84, 126 are excellent for RVers. From Florence (how's that newly renovated Heceta Head Lighthouse? We gave the tours there before it's new paint job.) I would recommend 126 to Sisters and into Bend - a beautiful river drive. A gradual uphill but not bad. Then you have two choices Hwy 20 to Caldwell/Boise area or Hwy 26, our favorite. 26 has a little more to see and 20 is pretty open country. On 26 is Clyde Holiday Rec. Site and a nice campground to explore John Day Fossil Beds Nat'l Monument. If you need a place to stay at Caldwell there is Ambassador RV which is extremely nice.

Then you could get of fI-84 a short distance and again, pick up Hwy 20 into Arco (Crater of the Moon Nat'l Mon. and into Idaho Falls. Pick up 26 to Alpine and 89 north to Jackson, through the Tetons and on to Yellowstone.

Just before Jackson, on the left, is a huge Smith's grocery, fuel, liquor, laundry all in one complex. Groceries are expensive in the little camp stores and also in West Yellowstone where there are only 2 very small mom & pop places. Alpine at Hwy 26 also has fuel and not as much congestion as the Smith's complex. if you have a big rig.

Have a great trip!
Thanks for the great info. sounds like staying south of I84 will work for us then. Don't know much about the light house I am up in Alaska right now with my MH stored in Florence OR gonna pick it up in June and start our journey to Florida from there. Want to get as much scenic driving as I can out west.
Old 04-18-2014, 09:59 AM   #5

Last year we took the route that you are looking at with our 38' MH and TOAD. The drive was worth it. Take your time, as it is NOT a fast route but will worth the time.
R2Home is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2014, 08:24 AM   #6

We do it all the time, like the others have said...take your time and enjoy..
Old 04-26-2014, 04:29 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Wasn't there a nice Rv park in Mt Vernon? It seems like we stayed somewhere near the fossils beds. Can the Clyde Holiday park handle a 40' MH?
Gary8346 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2014, 06:53 PM   #8
Commercial Member

We enjoy the route you are considering. Very nice and lightly trafficked drive. Great time of year for it.
Old 04-27-2014, 09:18 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary8346 View Post
Wasn't there a nice Rv park in Mt Vernon? It seems like we stayed somewhere near the fossils beds. Can the Clyde Holiday park handle a 40' MH?
I called Cycle Holiday Park they can handle big rigs but all sites are back in so you will have to unhook toad.
Old 04-27-2014, 02:42 PM   #10

Clyde Holiday is a beautiful, shady oasis in this high desert area. It's worth a stop even if you can't have a pull-through.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 12:28 AM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Oh we're used to unhooking the toad. I prefer it anyway. Thanks for calling. We will stop for sure in late June.
Gary8346 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
rving