Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-25-2014, 01:17 PM   #1

RVing West Coast Highway 101

Looking for information on travelling highway 101 from Seattle down to San Diego this November.
We are towing our 38ft. fifth wheel and wondering about travelling the highway towing a big rig.
Also, the availability of campgrounds along the way.
We have travelled quite a bit also using some Walmarts where available.

thank you all.
Dunebuggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-25-2014, 02:36 PM   #2

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I never liked driving 101......sun is in your eyes in the p.m, southbound; curves and the cliffs below always made me nervous and there will be vehicles lined up behind you, just waiting for you to pull off and let them pass.

Others have asked this question before about Hi 101 and lots of RV'ers have replied: No problems.
Old 09-25-2014, 02:42 PM   #3

Country Coach Owners Club
National RV Owners Club
Winding Hwy spectacular scenery, traffic should be less of a problem in Nov. Summer is the busy time. Lots of parks both private and State. Don't know if all of them are open at that time of year but there should be enough.

In Oregon, there are some places where you will have long grades both up and down. So make sure your brakes are in good shape. If you happen to run into some snow, it could make life challenging as can fog. Keep an eye on the weather.
Old 09-25-2014, 02:45 PM   #4

Beautiful but slow drive. I5 south to Longview and follow the signs to Oregon hwy30. All the state parks in Oregon will be open but probably very busy. Sun in your eyes? I assume Scooter has never driven the coast in fall/winter. There will be lots of rain maybe some sun breaks but no sun in your eyes as the sun sets in the west this time of year and you will be driving south. Unless of course you try driving into the ocean.
Old 09-25-2014, 05:08 PM   #5

Hwy 101 is excellent for big rigs. Don't confuse this with Hwy 1. They aren't even close in degree of difficulty with a big rig.

There are plenty of big rig campgrounds along the way. One that we really enjoyed was Ancient Redwoods RV in Redcrest, CA. It's right along the highway and amidst the big trees. There are some wonderful easy hikes/strolls in the redwoods. It's a beautiful area before entering the more congested areas north of San Francisco.

Have a great trip and don't be concerned with 101. (If you want to park along 101, definitely take your truck for a little touring on Hwy 1. There you will be along the cliffs and ocean)
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2014, 09:05 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by twogypsies View Post
Hwy 101 is excellent for big rigs. Don't confuse this with Hwy 1. They aren't even close in degree of difficulty with a big rig.

There are plenty of big rig campgrounds along the way. One that we really enjoyed was Ancient Redwoods RV in Redcrest, CA. It's right along the highway and amidst the big trees. There are some wonderful easy hikes/strolls in the redwoods. It's a beautiful area before entering the more congested areas north of San Francisco.

Have a great trip and don't be concerned with 101. (If you want to park along 101, definitely take your truck for a little touring on Hwy 1. There you will be along the cliffs and ocean)
Just made that trip. And "Hwy 101 is excellent for big rigs. Don't confuse this with Hwy 1." Definately!!!!!

While 101 will have its twists and turns, steep grades in both direction, take you time and enjoy the drive.

Hwy 1, on the other hand, is beautiful in Origin, but a bear in northern CA. Better for motorcycles!!!!

Also, remember that the LAW in that area is "If you have five (5) or more vehicles behind you, take the first SAFE opportunity to pull over and let them by."
Just For Fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2014, 11:12 AM   #7

101 from Seattle to SD encompasses a lot. I'll take an overview of the Ca section. First thing I would consider is San Fransisco. 101 goes right thru it over the Golden Gate. Doable. If you want to avoid the congestion, take 20 to 5. Jump back over to 101 at either 205 or 152. Then there's LA. If you want to avoid it, take 23 to 118 to 210 to 15 to SD. These are broad stroke answers. Seek specifics if needed with future forum questions. And please remember, all of urban Ca revolves around commuter times.
Here's parks we've used and recommend along that route. Sounds of the Sea, Mad River, Ancient Redwoods, Flag City, Betabel. Going into San Diego, consider spending the night at Pechanga in Temecula then going into SD between commuter times. In San Diego, I most highly recommend Bernardo Shores in Imperial Beach - but think Coronado. Adult park. Second choice would be Chula Vista RV.
biosensai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2014, 12:15 PM   #8

Freightliner Owners Club
biosensai has it right. I would avoid SF and go around and if you choose to drive through LA, do so on a Sunday.

Nick
Old 09-27-2014, 09:36 AM   #9

My hwy 101 trip

thank you all for your replies, will certainly take your comments into consideration and hopefully can reply when or as we are travelling along the coast.
Dunebuggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2014, 10:08 AM   #10

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Here is my route around SF:

Hwy 101 South to Petaluma to
Hwy 116 East to
Lakeville Hwy South to
Hwy 37 East (near Marine World) to
I-80 South (near Vallejo) to
I-780 South (near Benicia) East to
I-680 South (San Jose) to
Hwy 101 South

The problem with going over to I-5 is it will take you way out of your way, and will take you through Stockton, which is really a rough ride.
BobGed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2014, 10:38 AM   #11

Remember , your passenger is the one that will be looking down the cliffs, so take any in-put from that seat seriously.
2X, on keep an eye on the weather, I've driven the OR section 5 times, actually saw the ocean once. Last time, the DW wanted to take the route; 5 years back in Nov. forecast was for surf running at 29' and , Lincoln City was hit by a tornado. I was on I-5 , doing 40 mph; with the rest of the traffic; due to some of the heaviest rain I've ever driven in.

EDIT: JMHO, if you're snowbirding, save the 101 trip for your return in April, you'll enjoy it more.

RE-edit; BTW, Welcome to iRV2.
Old 09-27-2014, 01:34 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip426 View Post
Remember , your passenger is the one that will be looking down the cliffs, so take any in-put from that seat seriously.

Hmmmm. I don't recall any scary cliffs on 101. Are you thinking of Hwy 1?
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2014, 07:17 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by twogypsies View Post
Hmmmm. I don't recall any scary cliffs on 101. Are you thinking of Hwy 1?
Quite possible, like I said , driven 101 in OR 5 times, four of those in fog and rain, visibility 50>100 yards. CA # 1, south from San Fran, once to see Hearst Castle , could be my memories are getting confused.
Old 09-28-2014, 09:33 AM   #14

National RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobGed View Post
Here is my route around SF:

Hwy 101 South to Petaluma to
Hwy 116 East to
Lakeville Hwy South to
Hwy 37 East (near Marine World) to
I-80 South (near Vallejo) to
I-780 South (near Benicia) East to
I-680 South (San Jose) to
Hwy 101 South

The problem with going over to I-5 is it will take you way out of your way, and will take you through Stockton, which is really a rough ride.

That's the route I have used and I also recommend that route.
1ciderdog is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
rving