Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-23-2016, 03:32 PM   #1

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Salt Lake City to Mt Rushmore

Looking for advice for RV friendly route from Salt Lake City to Mt Rushmore
Raloma is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-23-2016, 06:57 PM   #2

Gulf Streamers Club

I-80 E to Rawlins, WY, then U.S. 287 to WY 220. At Casper, you can go N on I-25 to exit 210, then WY 259 to WY 357 to WY 59 south. After about 2 miles, turn Left of WY 450 to U.S. 16. At Custer, SD turn onto U.S. 385 to SD 244. Between Custer and SD 244 is Chief Crazy Horse monument, it's got a great Native American Museum and bigger than Mt. Rushmore.

Alternate route, at Casper go South on I-25 to Exit 126 (Orin, WY) follow U.S. 18/20 to Lusk, WY, then continue on U.S. 18 to SD 89. At Pringle, SD it joins U.S. 385 which joins to U.S. 16 just before Custer.

The first route is a few miles shorter than the second, both routes are good, not mountain passes or long downgrades.

Either route is almost 10 hours driving from SLC.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2016, 10:30 AM   #3

Thank for the info. There seem to be a bunch of ways to go, now just need to figure out which one will be a happy medium for me wanting to get there and my wife being nervous about the road.
Old 06-25-2016, 07:50 AM   #4

If "roadway" is high on your priority list ... then I suggest
  • I-80 east to Cheyenne
  • I-25 north to Grim (US -18)
  • US-18 northeast then north then east to SD-79
  • SD-79 will take you to the east outskirts of Rapid City.

There are NO serious curves in this road ... US -18 is a two lane road with wide lanes and wide shoulders ... SD-79 is 4 lanes and most of it is divided highway. I have travelled all of these roads in the past 5 years in my motorhome.

There are two good pulls on this route ... both on I-80 the first between SLC and Park City ... and the second is just east of Laramie. The rest is across relatively flat country ... if you like breakfast anytime of the day I suggest you stop at Little America ....

former owner 2004 Winnebago Journey 39W
skigramp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2016, 05:12 PM   #5

Thanks Skigramp
That sounds like a good route for us. The wife will be happy not having a lot of winding road. She is good with a bit but doesn't like a lot of mountain driving.
Raloma