Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-19-2018, 03:31 PM   #1

Entegra Owners Club
San Antonio -> Santa Fe -> Durango

45ft with toad, traveling in August.

Looking for any route advice on going from San Antonio, TX to Santa Fe, NM and then on to Durango, CO before returning back to the San Antonio area. I was thinking something like I-10W to Fort Stockton and taking 285N to Santa Fe. Then from Santa Fe things get tricky... How is 285/84/64up to Pagosa Srings and then 160 over to Durango? Or should I backtrack a little down I-25W to 550 up to Durango? Is there anywhere to get fuel on either of these routes outside of around I-25 that would fit this size rig? Looks like there is a roadrunner on 550 near Aztec but not seeing much in the way of options on the other route? Any thoughts?

Thank you,
Joey
'17 Aspire 44B
Holmrun is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-19-2018, 04:40 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holmrun View Post
45ft with toad, traveling in August.

Then from Santa Fe things get tricky... How is 285/84/64up to Pagosa Srings and then 160 over to Durango? Or should I backtrack a little down I-25W to 550 up to Durango?
Fuel up in Albuquerque or Santa Fe and you're good to go to Durango.

84 to Pagosa Springs if excellent and more scenic. 550 into Durango is good, also but not as scenic. (spend time in Pagosa to soak in the immaculate concrete pools of varying temperatures overlooking the river. Ahhh...)

According to Google Maps:

1. 705 miles - San Antonio take 83 to Eden then 87 to Brownfield then 380 to Roswell & 285 to Santa Fe

2. 700 miles - I-10 to Junction, TX then 83 to Sweetwater then 84/60 to Clovis, I-40 at Santa Rosa, NM to 285 to Santa Fe
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2018, 07:19 PM   #3

Triple E Owners Club
best route

I live just outside of Albuquerque. We go to Durango 4-5 times a year. Take US 550 out of Bermalillo just north of Albuquerque. It's 4 lane all of the way and very scenic.
lexton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2018, 06:25 AM   #4

Entegra Owners Club
Thank you both - looking forward to finally making it to CO.
Holmrun is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2018, 09:43 AM   #5

First, go to La Fogota to start your trip planning.;-). I did read that 285 North of Pecos is jacked up. I like the advice above. 87/84/60/285 might be an option too. From Santa Fe 285/84/64 to Pagosa is fine. I have taken it many times. About 4.5 hours to make that drive.

There is fuel at Clines Corners I-40/285. Also just north of Santa Fe there is a Valero that usually has cheap fuel. It is not a truck stop, but I have gotten my 40foot with toad in there easily. Slow pumps though. There are also a few places in Pagosa to fuel up with plenty of room for your rig.

I lived in Tesuque (out by the opera north of Santa Fe) for 14 years. If you want any more detailed info of SF or Durango I am happy to offer my opinion.

J
Jake21 is offline   Reply With Quote