Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-28-2021, 08:37 AM   #1

Texas Boomers Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
San Antonio to Childress Hwy 83 / 277

How is that road from San Antonio to Childress, up to I-10 then split off on US 83 North? Bad? Good? Horrible? Avoid? Ok?

38' towing Buick towing scooter heading back to SW Ks. Not going back through Dallas, adds 120 miles and hours and hate the Austin Corridor with a passion......
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-28-2021, 08:52 AM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
I-10 to junction and then Hwy 83 north is really good road. But so are the other roads from SA up to Abilene and then North to Childress.

Like most Texas highways they are good fast roads.

It’s less than 400 miles, but if you want to make it a longer trip there is a great State Park in Junction and another just south of Abilene, too.
Old 02-28-2021, 08:59 AM   #3

Texas Boomers Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by creativepart View Post
I-10 to junction and then Hwy 83 north is really good road. But so are the other roads from SA up to Abilene and then North to Childress.

Like most Texas highways they are good fast roads.

It’s less than 400 miles, but if you want to make it a longer trip there is a great State Park in Junction and another just south of Abilene, too.
Thanks! A friend said the roads were terrible that way. Trying to talk me into going up I-35 instead, so I'm glad to hear it!!
Old 02-28-2021, 09:07 AM   #4
GBB

That’s my route when going south. I normally pick up 83 in North Platte and run it all the way to Uvalde. Good road.
GBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2021, 09:21 AM   #5

Texas Boomers Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
That trip from SA to Childress is actually more than I like to travel in one day of 400 miles, but then I only have 280 the second day. I'd rather go further the first day of a 2 day travel than the second.
Old 02-28-2021, 09:24 AM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lincolnboy2 View Post
Thanks! A friend said the roads were terrible that way. Trying to talk me into going up I-35 instead, so I'm glad to hear it!!
Wow! We go that way all the time. We live north of SA. And travel to NM and CO just about every year. We prefer the route out of TX via Lubbock to I-40.

We always go to Junction and then 83 north from there. Then we split off HWY 83 just south of Abilene to head to Lubbock but it’s great road and the little towns along the way are easily traversed.

We will do almost anything to stay off I-35 and to avoid DFW.

Hwy 281 north from SA (big construction zone just south of us though) is great road to bypass Austin. But once you get up to Alvarado you can hardly avoid the DFW mess. If you are in SA or south of SA you would want to avoid 281 until at least the Hwy 281/Hwy 46 intersection about 20 mi north of Loop 1604.

Also if you do go I-35 there is a new Toll Road (130) that bypasses Austin by going way east of town but would cost about $9+ and you have to pay via the mail unless you have a TXtag pass. It splits off 35 just north of San Marcos and rejoins 35 just north of Georgetown.
Old 02-28-2021, 09:37 AM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by GBB View Post
That’s my route when going south. I normally pick up 83 in North Platte and run it all the way to Uvalde. Good road.
That comment got me looking and I see that Hwy 83 goes all the way to Swan River, Manitoba, Canada!! And it starts in Mexico, too.

Who knew?

That might be the basis of a road trip some day. Get on 83 north and take it all the way.

Quote:
U.S. Route 83 (US 83) is a major north–south United States Numbered Highway that extends 1,885 miles (3,034 km) in the central United States.[2] Only four other north–south routes are longer: US 1, US 41, US 59, and US 87. The highway's northern terminus is north of Westhope, North Dakota, at the Canadian border, where it continues as Manitoba Highway 83. The southern terminus is at the Veterans International Bridge in Brownsville, Texas. Together, US 83 and PTH 83 form a continuously numbered north-south highway with a combined distance is 3,450 kilometres (2,140 mi