RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-09-2020, 09:05 AM   #1

San Juans to Greer, SC

We usually make an annual trip from Colorado to family in Kentucky and Tennessee. This year weíre headed to South Carolina first and Iím looking at taking a route Iíve never taken before. How is route 50 through Kansas? Whatís it like dropping down in Springfield, Missouri and heading East?

We typically take I70 or I40 but this will be out of the ordinary for us. Weíre in no rush but plan on driving a solid 12 to 14 hours a day. (I just like to marathon drive)

TIA

Prontix is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-09-2020, 05:26 PM   #2

We love secondary highways and wouldn't hesitate to take 50. However, not when driving 12-14 hours/day. Would recommend that you stay on the interstates.

twogypsies is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2020, 06:04 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prontix View Post
We usually make an annual trip from Colorado to family in Kentucky and Tennessee. This year we’re headed to South Carolina first and I’m looking at taking a route I’ve never taken before. How is route 50 through Kansas? What’s it like dropping down in Springfield, Missouri and heading East?

We typically take I70 or I40 but this will be out of the ordinary for us. We’re in no rush but plan on driving a solid 12 to 14 hours a day. (I just like to marathon drive)

TIA
Been this way and it was more enjoyable than the I's - and I get to Go through Paris..... I've been through Atlanta and it may be the worst city to try to Drive through other than NY - so I bump North through Memphis - you will enjoy the I-40 through the Smokies - will remind you a little of Home. (Lake City) - need to keep an eye on the Truck as they Push you along there. -

MAP - https://www.bing.com/maps?osid=d1d99...=2&form=S00027

Hope this helps,

Bill
Busskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2020, 06:22 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busskipper View Post
Been this way and it was more enjoyable than the I's - and I get to Go through Paris..... I've been through Atlanta and it may be the worst city to try to Drive through other than NY - so I bump North through Memphis - you will enjoy the I-40 through the Smokies - will remind you a little of Home. (Lake City) - need to keep an eye on the Truck as they Push you along there. -

MAP - https://www.bing.com/maps?osid=d1d99...=2&form=S00027

Hope this helps,

Bill

Bill,

Interesting route that I hadnít considered. Iíve been on that route at different times but it was years ago. I typically avoid going too far South in the summer due to the heat. You know, in Lake City it never goes over 90!

I was for sure planning to avoid Atlanta! I never cared for flying through there and a friend that lives there is always complaining about the traffic.

Funny you said the Smokies would remind me of the San Juans. I grew up near the Smokies and spent family vacation times there. My Mom still owns a place near Sevierville. Iíve only driven I40 in a car through Cherokee and I wondered how it would be driving something longer. Canít be worst than Slumgullion...except the trucks!

Leaving today so Iíll have to decide around Walsenburg to go East or Southeast.

Dan
Old 06-11-2020, 06:33 AM   #5

Quote:
Bill,

Interesting route that I hadn’t considered. I’ve been on that route at different times but it was years ago. I typically avoid going too far South in the summer due to the heat. You know, in Lake City it never goes over 90!

I was for sure planning to avoid Atlanta! I never cared for flying through there and a friend that lives there is always complaining about the traffic.

Funny you said the Smokies would remind me of the San Juans. I grew up near the Smokies and spent family vacation times there. My Mom still owns a place near Sevierville. I’ve only driven I40 in a car through Cherokee and I wondered how it would be driving something longer. Can’t be worst than Slumgullion...except the trucks!

Leaving today so I’ll have to decide around Walsenburg to go East or Southeast.

Dan
Glad you are getting an Early start - I just dislike I- 40 so anyway around it - the Fly over states are just Hot - so Texas is really not to bad and a quick check of Campendium.com will usually find a spot with electric to run the A/C - with 12-14 hour days you will get there in Three no matter which route - Slumgullion is a piece of Cake compared to I-40 at 65 in an RV with Trucks Pushing - seriously - take that part easy/Slower as they think it's Nascar. - Doable just need to be Prepared, as it is not Colorado - it's bumper to bumper on the I's.

Best of luck, hoping to Visit your Hometown later this Summer as we head West on Monday. - -

Bill
Old 06-11-2020, 07:25 AM   #6

Thanks. Iíll be extra careful going through the Malaria germ curves on 40.

Fyi, Lake City woke up to 3Ē of snow yesterday. Overnight temps have been below freezing but itís 60s and 70s during the day. No flooding this year, too!
Old 06-11-2020, 07:32 AM   #7

Quote:
Thanks. Iíll be extra careful going through the Malaria germ curves on 40.

Fyi, Lake City woke up to 3Ē of snow yesterday. Overnight temps have been below freezing but itís 60s and 70s during the day. No flooding this year, too!
Don't think you will be contending with that in the Smokies.
Old 06-14-2020, 06:07 AM   #8

Dan - You make it?

My calculations have you there.

Hope whichever route you took it was easy - Son just left to head back to Colorado after a few weeks here - Maryland has made an attempt to Open and all the Waterfront Restaurants were Wall to Wall People, far from socially distant. Not sure how this will go - Hoping for the Best.

We will leave to Head toward Yellowstone, Monday, for a few weeks - may spend a lot of the time outside the parks away from the crowds, as I'm just not ready to mix it up yet.

Mid July we should be headed to the San Juan's - wanted the Boys and Grands to see your slice of Heaven, as it is truly that.

Then down to Taos where one son thinks he may want to Relocate on a small farm.

Let us know how you did - might get lucky and have our paths cross this Fall.

Best of Luck,

Bill
Old 06-20-2020, 06:43 AM   #9

Bill,

We made it to SC last Saturday. The main reason to come here first on this trip is that my 94 year old mom is not doing well. Things are uncertain at this point as she is daily declining.

We have reservations in Myrtle Beach for 3 days starting tomorrow. Not sure I can keep them but I promised the fam we would hit the beach on this trip.

Our plan is to swing by East Tennessee for a couple of days next week and head back West. I have some business to take care of in Branson before heading back home around the 1st.

I took the route out here that you suggested. All went well except heavy traffic Around Denton, TX. Maybe I should have skirted North around that area.

Enjoy Yellowstone! Itís been a while since we made our way up there but I can see it coming up soon.

Weíll try to have some great weather for you in July. Monsoon rains will probably arrive with you, though.

Be safe,
Dan
Old 06-20-2020, 08:59 AM   #10

Quote:
Bill,

We made it to SC last Saturday. The main reason to come here first on this trip is that my 94 year old mom is not doing well. Things are uncertain at this point as she is daily declining.

We have reservations in Myrtle Beach for 3 days starting tomorrow. Not sure I can keep them but I promised the fam we would hit the beach on this trip.

Our plan is to swing by East Tennessee for a couple of days next week and head back West. I have some business to take care of in Branson before heading back home around the 1st.

I took the route out here that you suggested. All went well except heavy traffic Around Denton, TX. Maybe I should have skirted North around that area.

Enjoy Yellowstone! Itís been a while since we made our way up there but I can see it coming up soon.

Weíll try to have some great weather for you in July. Monsoon rains will probably arrive with you, though.

Be safe,
Dan
Good luck with all that as we had the same a few years back and it all turned out smooth despite it being difficult.

My mom was 95 and DWís was 90 both were unbelievable till the end. Not easy but hopefully it all works for you.

Thanks for the update -sure hope you make it to the beach - itís our Rockies on the East Coast we were just there before leaving.

Will be in touch,
Bill