Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-23-2012, 02:39 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rmiscoord View Post
Just because I do not like LA I usually head for Barstow, and take I 40 east, then I95 to I10.
When you said I95, did you mean AZ State Highway 93, from east
of Kingman to Phoenix?

Sequim Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-23-2012, 08:28 PM   #16

Take 99 from Sacramento to Bakersfield, then I-5 to the 210 and 215 to I-10. What ever you do stay off 40 in California-its very rough but a good roads after you leave California. Like a previous post check the weather in Bakersfield as the "Grapevine" closes once or twice a year but usually not longer than 4-5 hours
coachmanjay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 08:55 PM   #17

We have friends in Lafayette and usually go to the Cajun Palms RV Resort just east of Lafayette. It is huge and lots of Mardi Gras goings on there at the resort itself. People bring their own golf carts and decorate them Mardi Gras style. This year we parked there and went to New Orleans just for the day on Monday before Fat Tuesday and returned that night. New Orleans is a virtual ZOO and I am glad we did not stay there. But we had a great time for the day. Saw two parades, went back to Lafayette and saw several more on Tuesday. The comments about small town Mardi Gras parties are true. We would rather do that than go to NO.

Don
akadeadeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 11:21 AM   #18

Triple E Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sequim Guy View Post
When you said I95, did you mean AZ State Highway 93, from east
of Kingman to Phoenix?

No, US 95 (did not mean I95) from Needles to Blythe, but 93 would work but may be longer.
Rmiscoord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 10:37 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rmiscoord View Post
No, US 95 (did not mean I95) from Needles to Blythe, but 93 would work but may be longer.
You're right, 93 would be a longer drive.
Sequim Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 02:39 AM   #20

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
We've run across that route in Jan and February and it is usually snow free.

I've run across on 40 also and it's six of one and half a dozen of the other as to which route is the best as far as I'm concerned. I do know on 40 some of the campgrounds close for the winter. I found that out the hard way.

I hope you have reservations already in New Orleans and if you don't you best try to make some now.
Arch Hoagland is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 06:26 AM   #21

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arch Hoagland View Post
We've run across that route in Jan and February and it is usually snow free.

I've run across on 40 also and it's six of one and half a dozen of the other as to which route is the best as far as I'm concerned. I do know on 40 some of the campgrounds close for the winter. I found that out the hard way.

I hope you have reservations already in New Orleans and if you don't you best try to make some now.
Yes that will be a busy time here in New Orleans. Mardi Gras will be split this year due to Super Bowl being played in New Orleans. There will be a week or so of parades then the Super bowl and then another week of parades ending on Fat Tuesday ( which is Mardi Gras day. If you are going to see mardi gras you must experience it in the French Quarter. If you need any advice let me know.
ajm12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 08:54 AM   #22

Monaco Owners Club
Several folks have mentioned to take the I-5 to the 210, I would avoid this route, I have to drive that route quite often for work, it can become a mess depending on the time of day you make it there, you can get stuck in traffic for well over an hour.

The 58 to 395 will take you to I-15 to I-10 with minimal traffic. I live in this area and travel these roads all the time.

Dennis
DennisZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 02:17 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajm12

Yes that will be a busy time here in New Orleans. Mardi Gras will be split this year due to Super Bowl being played in New Orleans. There will be a week or so of parades then the Super bowl and then another week of parades ending on Fat Tuesday ( which is Mardi Gras day. If you are going to see mardi gras you must experience it in the French Quarter. If you need any advice let me know.
We do have reservations and entry to some of the initiation only events.

We are really looking forward to this trip.

Thanks to everyone that has replied so far.

Some great suggestions and routes.

Mike...
Flameryder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 09:55 AM   #24

National RV Owners Club
Prepare yourself for being bored silly from Tucson to Louisiana on I-10, but it's still the best way to go.
Thumbs up to Cajun Palms. Also, make sure you check out Ponchartrain Landing RV Park/Marina in New Orleans. Great Park, super people and about 15 minutes from The Quarter. Shuttle service too. They accept Passport America ($33.00 instead of $66.00) but I doubt if they do during Mardi Gras
Old 09-02-2012, 04:16 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajm12

ajm,

Hope all is well with you and your family after the storm.

James
Jymen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 07:41 AM   #26

Fleetwood Owners Club
Thanks jymen
We made out fine. We actually left on our trip a could days before the storm. We secured everything and left on our trip. Got reports from family and friends and we made out okay.
Thanks for asking.
ajm12 is offline   Reply With Quote