Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-13-2021, 06:29 AM   #15

We once traveled non interstate from Sebago ME to around Macon GA in a 25' class C. Not sure that I would want to do it in our class A. From I 81, we sometimes pick up 321 around Charlotte and take it to I 95 just north of Savannah. From Savannah, you can take 17 along the coast.z4 Zeus zss We get 301 just north of Jacksonville and take it to Ocala.
If we are coming down from the Ashville area, we take 441 south to about Macon, the 75 to the FL line. We then pick up 98 and then 17 into south central FL.
Teamfoxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-13-2021, 06:38 AM   #16

Not sure of the OP's exact height and length, but the best advise I can give if attempting to travel off main interstate routes is to purchase a commercial road atlas (Trucker's Atlas). They are sold at every truck stop and if you buy the paper one they are usually about $12 to $16.

You can check your desired route to make sure there won't be one of those pesky little 11' overpasses in your way.
FLJOE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2021, 06:47 AM   #17

We have done 17 from NY to FL a few times and it is a good route.
K Charles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2021, 10:16 AM   #18

More very helpful posts. We were away for a few days with the coach, I wanted to test out the SafeTplus steering control and the air bag motion control units. By far the motion control units made the biggest difference.

That's a convenient park off of 95, you mention Cyber, no hookups though. Do they offer a dump station?

All these suggestions, I can't thank you all enough!
Old 10-19-2021, 10:18 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLJOE View Post
Not sure of the OP's exact height and length, but the best advise I can give if attempting to travel off main interstate routes is to purchase a commercial road atlas (Trucker's Atlas). They are sold at every truck stop and if you buy the paper one they are usually about $12 to $16.

You can check your desired route to make sure there won't be one of those pesky little 11' overpasses in your way.
I use 12' as a guide which allows a few inches for error. The Garmin RV is supposed to warn of hazards, however, it really doesn't help with planning. I'll make a note of the Trucker Guide.
Old 10-19-2021, 10:19 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by K Charles View Post
We have done 17 from NY to FL a few times and it is a good route.
Going to check it out
Old 10-21-2021, 06:55 AM   #21

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
We avoid Interstates whenever possible for the reasons you cited. From western NC to Fla we always use US 321. US 1, 301, and 17 (depending on where you are starting from) are great for our 40' MH and much more relaxing. We often go from NC to Tampa area and never get on an Interstate for more than a few miles.
Old 10-21-2021, 07:02 AM   #22

It depends on the individual location. Sites in the Harvest Host web page list space length and the number of RV's they can accommodate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CountryB View Post
Do the Harvest Hosts sites accommodate Big Rigs (42Ft)?
2005 Safari (Monaco)Trek 28RB2, Workhorse W20, 8.1, Allison 1000 5 spd, UltraPower engine & tranny, Track bars & sway bars, KONI FSD, FMCA 190830, Safari Int'l. chapter. 1999 Safari Trek 2830, 1995 Safari Trek 2430, 1983 Winnebago Chieftain, 1976 Midas Mini
George Schweikle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2021, 09:05 AM   #23

Freightliner Owners Club
I do NJ to FL Keys runs about 6-8 times a year.

I take 81 but get off on Rt. 50 in Winchester, VA and take that to Paris where I make a right onto Rt. 17. 17 goes on 66 for a while but you veer off and stay on 17 all the way to Fredericksburg, VA where I hop back on 95 past all the Philly/Baltimore/DC mess.

17 is the nicest part of the trip with rolling farmland, estates, some fuel stops and BBQ near Opal, VA.

Plus there's a Walmart right before you hit 95.
RVing for 20 years & 200,000+ miles
RVThere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2021, 10:24 AM   #24

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2cyber71 View Post
We like this route.
Also, we stay at New Green Acres in South Carolina right off I95.
Itís a good stop with giant pullthru sites, no unhooking
Here is a video I did of the CG
https://youtu.be/JWWh4I_MzzI
If memory servers me right there are a few passpost Americas alone 77. We normaly stay at a federal forest that is about 7 miles off of 77 one or two exits north of I-81. We use either our lifetime or disable vetern 50% discount.

We are not big into staying in parking lots.
ArtJoyce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2021, 06:18 PM   #25

I go down through Delaware and over the bridge tunnel to Norfolk over to 95. If you donít want to travel 95, check route 301. Itís the old road and goes down right through Florida.
vettenuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2021, 05:18 PM   #26

Tiffin Owners Club
Don, we line just east of Charlotte NC and frequently go to the Keys or Southwest Fl just south of Lake Henry. When I worked I did the I95 thing but no more! Just east of Charlotte I take US 601 to Orangeburg SC then US 301 to Ocala FL. There is no traffic at all on 301 until you get south of I-10. Just north of Ocala I get on I-75 for about 30 miles then the FL turnpike and take FL 33 south toward Polk City then end up on US27 in Haines City for the remainder if the trip. We are in a Tiffin gasser smaller than you but the US hwys are good and most of the Florida state/ county roads involved are good too. Thereís always thru trucks on these roads. Look at the street view on Google maps to check your comfort level. The good thing is you can always mix it up and get on the interstates anytime. Hwy 301 through SC and GA is very good. In SC itís mostly divided 4 lane and usually completely deserted. We sometimes go for miles and donít see another vehicle. 301 was 95 before 95 was built. The abandoned 1950s style service stations and motels are amazing to see.
Happy travels!
Chuck&Pam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2021, 06:04 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck&Pam View Post
Don, we line just east of Charlotte NC and frequently go to the Keys or Southwest Fl just south of Lake Henry. When I worked I did the I95 thing but no more! Just east of Charlotte I take US 601 to Orangeburg SC then US 301 to Ocala FL. There is no traffic at all on 301 until you get south of I-10. Just north of Ocala I get on I-75 for about 30 miles then the FL turnpike and take FL 33 south toward Polk City then end up on US27 in Haines City for the remainder if the trip. We are in a Tiffin gasser smaller than you but the US hwys are good and most of the Florida state/ county roads involved are good too. Thereís always thru trucks on these roads. Look at the street view on Google maps to check your comfort level. The good thing is you can always mix it up and get on the interstates anytime. Hwy 301 through SC and GA is very good. In SC itís mostly divided 4 lane and usually completely deserted. We sometimes go for miles and donít see another vehicle. 301 was 95 before 95 was built. The abandoned 1950s style service stations and motels are amazing to see.
Happy travels!

Just be careful of your speed through the small towns on 301 south of route 10. They are famous for their speed traps. Nice drive, lots of horse farms especially as you get closer to Ocala.
vettenuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2021, 06:49 PM   #28

Sorry for the late reply, been tied up trying to get trees trimmed, another FD fundraiser etc... Hoping I'll be able to put some of this together in the next few days.

Tags
florida