Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-18-2021, 10:07 AM   #1

Seeking advice - driving in the North East

We travel full-time in a 45’ Class A, towing a Jeep. We plan to spend a few months next year looping from Virginia up thru the New England states and then back down thru northwest New York and Pennsylvania. My concern is the Virginia to Foxboro Mass route, and from there up into Maine.

My initial plans were to leave Virginia and stop in Delaware, NJ, Connecticut, RI, and then on to Foxboro. After reading several forum comments about travelling in that part of the country, I’m beginning to think I should just skip Delaware, NJ, Connecticut, RI, and go around them entirely. Perhaps I should skip the Boston area, as well, but the Normandy Farms RV Park in Foxboro looks very nice, so we’d like to spend some time there before heading up to Belfast, ME.

I would appreciate any feedback and advice, including whether I should stay away from the Delaware, NJ, Connecticut, RI corridor, and what interstates should I take to get to Foxboro and then to Maine. I’m not looking for the fastest route, but the most reasonable. Thank you!!
Ehochuli85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-18-2021, 11:53 AM   #2

There is a lot to do and see in the Boston, Cape Cod and N/E coastal areas. Stay out of greater Boston with the RV, due to restricted tunnels and congested traffic. Foxboro is far enough from Boston proper to avoid most of the congestion yet close enough to allow you to explore by toad.
When heading North from Foxboro take 128/95 around Boston proper and then either 95 or 93 to go North to Me. 95 is the more coastal route.
Roy-c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2021, 01:56 PM   #3

Best advice from a lifelong New Yorker, develop a aggressive driving attude while driving up here.

If not, we will walk all over you. In most cases the bigger rig wins.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2021, 03:02 PM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
We're also full time and have daughters in northern NJ so we'll spend some time in eastern PA and then head to Maine, northern NH, VT, then St. Laurence seaway area before we head back to FL for the winter. We've not found much in the way of good campgrounds in northern NJ so we stay in eastern PA Pocono Mountains area when we're in the area. From PA we'll head east on 84 then north on 87 to avoid the NYC nonsense. Then east on 90 to the 495 loop north to avoid Boston. We decided to risk 95 north of Boston because we want to stay at several places along the coast. We're in a 38' MH towing a jeep.
I'd be glad to DM my itinerary extract from RVTW if you are interested.
Good luck with your travels and maybe we'll run into you (figuratively of course) in the NE this summer.
Nildecaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2021, 03:05 PM   #5

Last month, just for fun, we left the northeast part of CT at 10:00 AM on a tuesday and went to hartford. We took 91 south to 95 and took that over the GW Bridge and went down the NJ turnpike. It is not as bad as people make it out to be, most of the time. Going north I can't afford the GW so I go around. If you can drive in VA there is no reason you can drive anywhere in CT, RI, MA and ME except maybe Bridgeport to NY during rush hour.
K Charles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2021, 04:16 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
Best advice from a lifelong New Yorker, develop a aggressive driving attitude while driving up here.

If not, we will walk all over you. In most cases the bigger rig wins.
LOL. I take that as a challenge!! Thank you very much
Ehochuli85 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
advice