Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-07-2010, 06:49 PM   #29

IF you REALLY want your eyes opened on toll roads - read this:

Foreign Investors Lease US Toll Roads « Lighthouse Patriot Journal

AND, that's just the TIP of the iceberg - ain't it nice that the TAXPAYERS pay for road building - then various governments SELL control of those roads to foreigners, who THEN charge those very same taxpayers to USE them..

MAN - ain't we a bunch of ignorant and mindless idiots...
Gary - K7GLD is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-07-2010, 07:20 PM   #30

Well being from the great Keystone State, PA. I do confess to the worst roads in general. We have so many bridges that need to be repaired or replaced you should be afraid to ride over them in your RV. Our state like CA is also bankcrupt, they are just hiding it, 2 Billion defecit. The plan to bring PA out of debt was to SELL I80 and make it into a toll road. The sell would bring in 10's of Bs and we would be fat and happy. Thankfully the Great Minds of Washington did not like that idea.
By the way, that Toll collector on the PA Pike makes about $25/HR + benefits of course. The one question you can not ever ask a PA Pike employee is "who are you related to?" Please keep driving thru our beautiful state, we need the money!!!
Essex-Spensive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 08:42 PM   #31

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Yes but the Florida Turnpike with a SunPass sure makes it easier
Unless you think your E-ZPass is honored as you drive by.
I got on in the Titusville area and kept using the express lanes to the left until I got off near Orlando. Attendant was waiting for payment, but I was waiting for the gate to lift because I have E-ZPass. It was there that I discovered I "ran" every toll.

Fines are pretty hefty for toll evaders but I was fortunate because I called right away and just had to send in what was owed.
Nonno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 05:30 AM   #32

Winnebago Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by AC eagle View Post
By the way, that Toll collector on the PA Pike makes about $25/HR + benefits of course.
They should make that much as everyone should IMHO. The life expectancy for toll collectors can't be too good since they continually breath exhaust fumes and handle money that has been touched by who knows what. I do see some of them wearing gloves now, about time.

Please don't take that as an assault on you eagle. Just my thoughts.

Selling off toll roads doesn't sound smart to me. If it is anything like most of these investment companies they will squeeze every dime out of they can, pay crappy wages, let the roads deteriorate until unusable then disappear into the sunset.
HD4Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 04:49 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by HD4Mark View Post

Selling off toll roads doesn't sound smart to me. If it is anything like most of these investment companies they will squeeze every dime out of they can, pay crappy wages, let the roads deteriorate until unusable then disappear into the sunset.
2 questions immediately come to mind:

1. IF those foreign groups didn't plan on a profit from long term leasing of *US taxpayer funded roadways*, WHY did they buy them?

2. AND, IF there IS decent profit to be made from those roadways, WHY can't WE be making that profit ourselves, instead of sending it overseas?

Gun laws - sure, allow citizens to own guns - just control the ammunition!

Road taxes - sure, let folks own the transportation of their choice - just limit and control use of fuels and roadways needed for their use...

It all eventually boils down to freedom and control - our society LOSING it. and the masters GAINING it...
Gary - K7GLD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 09:33 AM   #34

Workhorse Chassis Owner
This thread makes me want to stay west, but my wife would not be happy to say the least. Can anyone tell me what 224 from Finley Ohio east to I-76 is like. We are visiting in Bowling Green, then 80 across Pa to Allentown.
cj5 jeeper is offline   Reply With Quote