Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-28-2010, 07:29 PM   #1
Moderator Emeritus

Shocked at Cost of Penn Turnpike!!!

Ok, I'm a born and bred west coast guy but I was shocked today as I exited the Pennsylvania Turnpike and had to pay $43!! What the heck?

I had traveled from Gettysburg across the state so probably used nearly the entire length but holy smokes. Is this common in the east?

Can someone help me understand? I thought I was on Interstate 76 the entire way. Don't they receive the same federal tax dollars as other states? If so, well, you know the questions that follow.

If you can, please help me understand. If this is news to you, be forewarned.

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-28-2010, 07:36 PM   #2

Freightliner Owners Club
George Carlin once called NJ the 'toll booth capital of the world'!

Basically you can drive from the George Washington Bridge to the NJ Turnpike to the PA Turnpike to the Ohio Turnpike to the Indiana Turnpike - paying ALL the way.

The worst I've seen is the road by the Denver Airport. It seemed I was paying $10 every 5 miles.
RVing for 20 years & 200,000+ miles
RVThere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 07:37 PM   #3

Being from PA. I do believe they are too pricey. They just raised their rates. If you only got on in Gettysburg, then you probably didn't travel the entire length. It starts at the border of Ohio on the west and exits east at Philly. Sorry it cost you so much. We only use it if we have to.
John H... is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 08:20 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Thanks guys. I guess I have to be more careful when planning my route. I probably thought I'd be tossing a few quarters in a basket or something. The reference to Denver reminds me of driving through France. Same deal every few miles.

Being from California (where the state is nearly bankrupt) I'm really surprised they haven't jumped on this taxation of Interstates 5, 8 and 80 considering all of the goods which arrive in western ports for truck transport elsewhere, not to mention the tourist traffic. At these rates, a few weeks should close the budget gap...

On a kinder, gentler note... we found Pennsylvania to be the most beautiful state we've seen since leaving California and really enjoyed ourselves. Although we also enjoyed that past two months in Va, NC, and SC, we had become a bit claustrophobic driving through the "green tunnels" of the south. What a relief to get somewhere with a little more contour.

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
Old 06-28-2010, 09:16 PM   #5

Oh no! They got me on that too. We live near the PA Turnpike and use it frequently. When you enter the toll road a machine issues a ticket. They do not weigh your vehicle at the entrance. The machine only counts your axles. If you are driving a large vehicle the ticket comes out the upper part of the dispenser and it automatically designates the same toll as a fully loaded, commercial truck of the same axles and size on that slip of paper. The toll person at the exit just matches the amount coded on the ticket with the distance you travelled and charges you accordingly.

We became very tired of sending letters and copies of our registration to the Turnpike Authority to get a refund. There is now an EZ Pass in our windshield which cuts the toll by 75% to what it should be and we don't even need to stop. This EZ Pass had to come directly from the office. They do not mail the specially coded ones to private customers.

So, anybody who gets off the PA Turnpike in an RV should get a receipt for cash and ask the guy for a "Toll Dispute Form." Fill it out and send it in to get your refund.

And friend, that wasn't even half of the wonderful PA Turnpike.
Old 06-29-2010, 09:23 AM   #6

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
So, anybody who gets off the PA Turnpike in an RV should get a receipt for cash and ask the guy for a "Toll Dispute Form." Fill it out and send it in to get your refund.

And friend, that wasn't even half of the wonderful PA Turnpike.

Is this for real????
I doubt many RV'rs realize this.
Tiffin Allegro Bus, 425 Cummins Freightliner XCR, Camp Freightliner, Acadia Denali, tow-N-4 Down, Blue-OX tow bar, TST Monitors, Seelevel II Monitors, Samsung Res Fridge, Progressive 50A-EMS, No Kids-No Pets, Full Time.
bdaball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 09:53 AM   #7

Check it out for yourself. Use the different weight class selections to see if it makes a difference for your vehicle.
PA Turnpike fare calculator.
Old 06-29-2010, 06:12 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Trust me about it being "for real". At least I'm glad to know that I was caught in some sort of loophole and charged like a big commercial vehicle... I guess.

I'll be not many RVers know about it.

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
Old 06-29-2010, 06:41 PM   #9

Ricko if you're heading towards the NorthEast watch out for the tappanzee bridge. If you have a toad the bridge crossing will set you back $24.00 for 2 miles. Good view of the Hudson though
tomgagne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 07:10 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
Yep even the toll roads appeared in Texas a few years back. It was right after we got a massive influx of Yankees...next thing you know, they are talking about toll roads and how once they are paid for, the tolls would go away....well, we still have the tolls ...

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 07:37 PM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

And I thought it was the craziest thing I had ever heard of when the toll for crossing the Golden Gate Bridge went up to $5...

Funny how those "temporary" taxes tend to hang around for a while... like federal income tax.

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
Old 06-29-2010, 08:07 PM   #12

Md still has the record for rv penalty fees. MoHo alone 2.50 Toad ALONE 2.50 but hitched as you cross $12.00.........serious penalty so we unhook whenever possible and spend 5 not 12 to get back to heaven in delaware
wkdwitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 09:07 PM   #13

Freightliner Owners Club
If using the Mass. Turnpike and pulling a toad, you can save a bundle if you unhook prior to your planned exit and go through as two seperate vehicles.
FleetMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 05:03 AM   #14
Administrator in Memoriam

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
Tolls in the east are a fact of life.

On I 95 in MD at the Susquehanna bridge, there's no toll southbound but the northbound toll is $5 for a 2 axle vehicle, but a MH & toad is considered a 4 axle vehicle and the toll is $23.

Route 66 is offline   Reply With Quote