Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-16-2019, 04:49 AM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Shreveport, LA road problems

Have to make a quick trip from southwest of ATL to Austin. Have used both I-10 and I-20 as primary routes in the past, but Shreveport road surface conditions on I-20 are pathetic to say the least. I've driven both routes recently but Shreveport is so terrible on I-20.

Wondering about road surface conditions on the I-220 north bypass around Shreveport??? Are conditions any better than I-20 through town on that section of road?

Overall I like the I-20 approach to Austin a bit better as I can avoid any coastal weather issues a bit better and avoid Houston, but the Shreveport issue is big to me.
Americanrascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-16-2019, 11:17 AM   #2

I was stationed a Barksdale for 4+ years in the mid-80's, I-20 sucked then and I'm sure it's even worse now? The 220 bypass was being built while I was there and completed right before I left in 89 so I'm sure that's tons better then taking 20. I had issues with the state then, and I'm sure nothing has changed for the better since! Good Luck
TajMahal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2019, 04:42 AM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Thanks for the follow up Taj Mahal- I checked Google maps using the photo feature. Could not tell much difference in the road surface downtown on I-20 vs what I see on I 220. Has me a bit spooked.

I've driven I-20 through Shreveport in a pick-up and a motorhome in the past 2 years and it was BAD BAD rough each time. May try I-220 this time with fingers crossed
Old 08-17-2019, 07:10 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I drove the I 20 to Dallas back in January. I normally take the I 220 bypass but decided to go through Shreveport on I 20 instead. I actually though the straight thru was much smoother than the bypass. The bypass is longer and the sectional concrete is rough. I'm headed to Dallas tomorrow and I will try straight through again.
Old 08-17-2019, 07:53 PM   #5

Damon Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
short answer is I20 is horrible
220 is a bit better but still chunk chunk chunk

rattle the teeth
Enjoying the 2008 Damon Tuscany 4056, #3998 no your eyes are fine, there are really 6 slides
2022 F150 King Ranch or 2012 Edge toads

powerboatr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2019, 10:22 PM   #6

I 20 through Jackson is not much better...
Old 08-18-2019, 05:54 AM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I agree on 1-20 through Jackson. Seems like I can get through it faster though? Either that or I am so scarred by Shreveport by the time I get to Jackson when eastbound I'm numb to it all
Old 08-18-2019, 03:08 PM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I'll take Jackson any day over Shreveport and yes both are rough. Just got to Canton Tx via I 20. I went straight thru Shreveport. The eastern side headed West from the I 220 turn off is rough all the way to downtown area then much much smoother going out of town. It took 14 minute to make the drive to the west I 220 turn off.
Old 08-19-2019, 04:51 AM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by stang37 View Post
I'll take Jackson any day over Shreveport and yes both are rough. Just got to Canton Tx via I 20. I went straight thru Shreveport. The eastern side headed West from the I 220 turn off is rough all the way to downtown area then much much smoother going out of town. It took 14 minute to make the drive to the west I 220 turn off.
Thanks for that info!!Maybe I'll just close my eyes, mash gas, drop plow, and suck up the 14 minutes?
Old 08-20-2019, 09:52 AM   #10

I do know that the roads in the state are flat and not crowned, so water accumulates and doesn't drain at all, I'd really like to know what idiot came up with that idea?
I also remember one time in the paper there was a blurb that someone posted, they said. "The only difference between Shreveport and yogurt is that yogurt has a active living culture, I couldn't agree more.
TajMahal is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ems, problem, problems