Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-15-2016, 08:01 AM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
Sikeston, MO to Gulf Shores

We head south in the next two weeks and were wondering what is the best route to get to Gulf Shores. We are staying in Sikeston on the first night but have many different choices after leaving the next morning. Our route planner has us taking 155 over to 45 south but I was wondering if heading to Memphis and then take 78 to 45? The more four lanes the better as we are scheduled for two 600 mile days.
beaner is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-15-2016, 08:59 AM   #2

I take 45. Way less truck traffic and you will have no problem driving a set speed. I cut over at Hayti to avoid Memphis traffic. Have a great trip
Trapper2022 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2016, 08:33 AM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
Thanks for the advise. Is 45 four lane from I20 in Mississippi to Mobile, AL or does it drop down to a controlled road as you approach the city? Also is the Bay Bridge or the tunnel the best way through Mobile?
Old 03-18-2016, 07:15 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by beaner View Post
We head south in the next two weeks and were wondering what is the best route to get to Gulf Shores. We are staying in Sikeston on the first night but have many different choices after leaving the next morning. Our route planner has us taking 155 over to 45 south but I was wondering if heading to Memphis and then take 78 to 45? The more four lanes the better as we are scheduled for two 600 mile days.
Make sure to eat at Lamberts in Sikeston! Home of the throwed rolls.
BJCSF2014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2016, 08:29 PM   #5

There is no bay bridge yet, Mobile needs one billion dollars to construct. Lol. I-10 is called the bayway.

I-10 tunnel is adequate for most all rigs. Bankhead tunnel has curved sides and I have personally seen ripped of AV units, I would stay away for it.

There is the Cochrane-Africatown that gets you over the river north of town down to the causeway and theming to Gulf Shores

Alabama Travelers
2015 44B Entegra Aspire
2015 Jeep Wrangler

Princess & Ranger
al-travelers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2016, 11:01 AM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
I must be describing the route differently than you. I did a Google Earth drive thru on the Bay Bridge Road and unless Google is now taking pictures of the future, there is a bridge there north of Mobile. I think they are calling it the Cochrane Bridge on Bay Bridge Dr.. I am coming in from 45 north and have done the tunnel in the past but think I will try the bridge from nowhere. Has anyone else driven this route and what are the pros and cons. Thanks
Old 03-19-2016, 04:50 PM   #7

I drive this route several times a year. Take 45 South, it's 4 lane all the way to the Alabama state state line. I would take 155 into Tennessee, then 412 to Jackson, TN, and pick up 45 South through TN and MS into Alabama. Continue on through Citronelle to Route 158, about 20 miles south of Citronelle. Take 158 over to I-65, then take 65 south to the second exit, exit 9, 165, I think. Once on 165 you need to exit at the Bay Bridge Road. Follow the ramp down to the red light and turn left. You are then on 90, follow it over the bridge and past the docks on the right then follow the signs to I-10 East.
GWDawg1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2016, 06:50 PM   #8

Tiffin Owners Club
Thanks, That sounds like the way to go. Hopefully we have good driving weather and not the weather lately.
Old 03-19-2016, 07:43 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by beaner View Post
Thanks, That sounds like the way to go. Hopefully we have good driving weather and not the weather lately.
When you leave Sikeston, if you take the route I suggested, the only 2 lane road will be from the Alabama state line to 158 south of Citronelle, probably about 40 miles. I would avoid the 55 South to Memphis route, lots of trucks and much more traffic. Good luck and safe travels.
GWDawg1 is offline   Reply With Quote