Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-16-2011, 02:05 PM   #1

South Carolina - I95 N

Can anyone tell me whether or not I95 north around Florence, SC has been repaired?

3 years ago we were on this stretch of road, 2nd day of a 14 day trip to New England. The coach took such a pounding that about 1 1/2 hrs after getting off and refueling in Latta, SC - we were northbound on a county road and later had a break down. A couple dashboard warning indicators lit and an alarm sounded.

The long and short of it was that someone, either at Freightliner or the dealership, had not secured the cap to the hydraulic reservoir and the constant pounding on I95 resulted in losing a fair amount of fluid.

It was a Saturday afternoon in a town with no cell reception. Fortunately the coach was still on warranty and we pulled into an Exxon station with a large parking lot and outside phonebooths. A couple calls to Freightliner and we were on the road in a few hours.

We're planning another trip north and I'll take alternate routes to skirt that part of I95 if need be.

'07 Allegro Bay 34XB
duramr is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-16-2011, 03:28 PM   #2

I will nose around and see if I can turn up anything.
Been traveling around in the general area over the last 10 months in both the RV and the Suburban. Can not remember what sections I have and Have not been on.
Airtool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011, 03:55 PM   #3

The four miles of I 95 around Florance was completed in 09. My latest info. up date, no construction from Savanna to the Virginia state line at this time. Hope that helps.
Can not tell you if there a any long rough stretches though.

Dick.
Old 07-16-2011, 04:11 PM   #4

I live in Florence SC, been south to Savannah from here, I95 was good both north and south. The road was resurfaced from Florence north, I was up to Lumberton in my car, seemed in good shape, but the feel in a car is a lot different then my MH. Anyway, I think you'll be fine through SC on I95.
Old 07-16-2011, 04:12 PM   #5

We were there early in the year - no problems. Interstates in many areas are a mess.
padre44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011, 04:48 PM   #6

Thanks for your quick response, Dick.

I had a long reply typed out and went to submit it only to find that for some reason it (the website) said I didn't have the rights. Whatever!

The construction you mentioned - did that have anything to do with resurfacing? Our problem in 2008 was the seams in the concrete road slabs. If memory serves me it was a 10 +- mile section of road that made me wish I was flying or walking or even out at sea.

Unfortunately I didn't note the mile markers back then.

'07 Allegro Bay 34XB
Old 07-16-2011, 04:53 PM   #7

Thanks Bill. That's what I was hoping to hear.

I was planning another route north, a slower one, if I couldn't get a handle on that piece of I95.

Thanks again.

'07 Allegro Bay 34XB
Old 07-16-2011, 08:11 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
I agree the road is just fine around Florence. There's a Hook on one side of the road and a Pilot on the other. A little more North in Latta at the Route 38 exit, there's another Hook (NBnd) as well and a Hess across the road on the south bound side.
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 07:31 AM   #9

Alternet Rt for 95 that I use at times

Duramr, I have taken Rt 26 up to Spartanburg to Rt 85.I can stop at Freightliner Factory Service in Gaffney. Rt. 85 North to Richmond. I'm Not much for driving that section of RT.95
So I take Rt. 321 at Gastonia N.C. to Hickory, Rt40 to Rt77, To Rt. 81 N. and miss the larger metropolitan ares.
Rt. 81 N. to Rt.86/17 at Binghamton N.Y. Rt. 88 N. to the N.Y. Thruway,East to Exit 24,Run the Free section of 90 to the Mass Pick.
Gets me north and I miss allot of traffic.
Allot more scenic,More hills,and somewhat farther.
The roads are good for the most part,as the saying goes up North. We have two seasons Winter and road repair season.
You got some good feed back from many.
Have a good trip.
Every day is a gift. If you have never had a bad day,you will never know when your having a good one.
Old 07-19-2011, 04:06 PM   #10

Dick,

Under normal circumstances we would take I95 out of FL then to I26 in SC then I77 to I81. In PA our route to New England would vary depending on our destination. You are right much more scenic than I95 and you miss all of undesirable cities. We've lived in FL for over 20 years and never travelled I95 the entire way.

But, this trip we're stretched for time so we'll take I95 to Richmond then north to Rt 15/17 and take that to I66 to I81 or 17 to Winchester, VA then onto I81 to I78 into NJ. Our final destination is the northshore of Boston. Actually Salisbury, MA.

The return trip we'll probably stay on I81s to I77. We prefer the "western" route north and south. Although it does add about 100 mi. each way as our final destination is always Mass.

'07 Allegro Bay 34XB
Old 07-19-2011, 09:28 PM   #11
edj

Quote:
Originally Posted by duramr View Post
Dick,

Under normal circumstances we would take I95 out of FL then to I26 in SC then I77 to I81. In PA our route to New England would vary depending on our destination. You are right much more scenic than I95 and you miss all of undesirable cities. We've lived in FL for over 20 years and never travelled I95 the entire way.

But, this trip we're stretched for time so we'll take I95 to Richmond then north to Rt 15/17 and take that to I66 to I81 or 17 to Winchester, VA then onto I81 to I78 into NJ. Our final destination is the northshore of Boston. Actually Salisbury, MA.

The return trip we'll probably stay on I81s to I77. We prefer the "western" route north and south. Although it does add about 100 mi. each way as our final destination is always Mass.
I have taken both routes to FL from Binghamton, NY. Over the years, I have found that route via I-95/Rt17/I-66/I-81 is shorter in miles. But, because of increased traffic & lower speed limits, the time is almost equal either way. Because of that, I always take the I-81/I-77/I-26/I-95 route unless there is a problem with snow in the mountains.
edj is offline   Reply With Quote